Anti-gun article with readers comments.

This is a discussion on Anti-gun article with readers comments. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Below is another classic/slanted/worthless newspaper article that is available online. It gives readers the option of posting comments. I've included the article, but more importantly ...

Thread: Anti-gun article with readers comments.

VIP Member

Anti-gun article with readers comments.

Below is another classic/slanted/worthless newspaper article that is available online. It gives readers the option of posting comments. I've included the article, but more importantly I've posted the only two comments that have been submitted by readers so far. They made my day.

Impact of D.C. gun-law case could be felt in Louisiana
    By Ana Radelat
    Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON The Supreme Court's review of a ban on handguns in the nation's capital has touched off a debate on gun rights that's likely to impact Louisiana.

The high court is considering an appeal of a ruling that overturned the District of Columbia's 32-year ban on handguns. The ban, in a city once considered the nation's murder capital, was based on findings that handguns were disproportionately used by criminals.

During oral arguments March 18, a majority of Supreme Court justices indicated they view gun ownership as a right.

If the court declares Washington's handgun ban unconstitutional, legislatures in Louisiana and other states as well as federal lawmakers would have a tougher time tightening restrictions on firearms.

Donald Stern, a former U.S. attorney in Massachusetts who has credited gun laws with aiding the prosecution of criminals in Boston, said the Supreme Court's upcoming decision could "dramatically alter the landscape for prosecutors and law enforcement officials."

A ruling is due by July 1. Few expect the court to rule against "reasonable restrictions" on gun ownership. That could help gun control advocates argue there's a need for tougher regulations in Louisiana and other states with few restrictions.

"But there would still be a political battle over the issue," Stern said.

Since 1939, the Supreme Court has avoided taking a case that would require it to interpret the Second Amendment, which says, "a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As the "Sportsman's Paradise," Louisiana has fiercely defended the rights of its citizens to bear arms.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence rated Louisiana more lax than all but two other states Kentucky and Oklahoma in regulating guns. The group says the state "lacks common sense gun restrictions."

Unlike other states, Louisiana does not require that child safety locks be sold with guns or that purchasers at gun shows undergo a background check. Louisiana does not require waiting periods for gun sales and does not require police to track gun sales. Nor does the state limit the number of guns a person can buy.

Louisiana's laissez faire attitude on gun laws is an outgrowth of its political culture.

When he served in the House of Representatives, now-Gov. Bobby Jindal sponsored a bill that would have banned government officials from seizing firearms during emergencies. Jindal argued that law-abiding citizens needed their guns more than ever after catastrophes like Hurricane Katrina.

The National Rifle Association rewarded Jindal by giving him an A-plus rating.

Sen. David Vitter, R-Metairie, and Reps. Jim McCrery, R-Shreveport, Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, Rodney Alexander, R-Quitman, Charles Boustany, R-Lafayette, and former Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, all received an A from the NRA.

Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-New Orleans, received a C-minus. Rep. William Jefferson, D-New Orleans, was the only member of the delegation to receive a failing grade of F.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said more than 30,000 Americans were killed by firearms in 2005, the last year for which data is available. About 2,700 were children.

Five children were shot dead in the Shreveport-Bossier City area last year, prompting a new program in Shreveport that pays tipsters for information leading to the seizure of guns from criminals and other violators of gun laws.

Program officials have offered $200 for a tip resulting in confiscation of a handgun and $500 for one that brings in an assault rifle. Randy Patrick, a spokesman for the Shreveport Police Department, said the department is not interested in taking guns from law-abiding citizens.

"We are trying one other way to get guns out of the hand of wrongdoers," he said.

Because Louisiana has no requirement that gun dealers offer trigger locks with the firearms they sell, the Shreveport Police Department and other law enforcement agencies in the state provide them free to gun owners.

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What ever happened to reporting the news with facts? If I want a biased, opiniated slant on any issue I should not find it in the local newspaper article - unless it is the editorial page. By the way, I don't know what you pay this reported, but whatever it is, it is too much. She can't even get her facts right. Purchasers from booths and licensed dealers at "Gun Shows" do have a background check before the sale is completed! They have to fill out a federal form and show positive ID - then the info is phoned into the FBI who must clear the purchase before the sale is made. Ignorant opinions and falsehoods by reporters makes me wonder which is worse, "the right to bear arms" or "the right to freedom of the press!"

Posted by: RevTony on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having the Brady Bunch of clowns comment on the right to bear arms is about as liable to be a fair a presentation as having fidel castro provide a critique on American democracy. Or cindy sheehan commenting on the effectiveness of the American military.

They and ALL the other gun control screechers can go to hell! There are laws on the books that provide for severe penalties for crimes committed with a gun-enforce them stringently! I have not nor will I ever misuse firearms. I like to shoot and do so legally and though I used to love to hunt I no longer do so I hurt no one or no thing. I assure you that I can kill you with a golf club or a baseball bat. Will that feel more pure to the victim?

A monster coming into my home could gut me (or my little grandson) 50 times before the very best police response is even possible but not if I have a firearm. You gun control freaks can go screaming to the slaughter if you like. I'd prefer at least a chance to do unto the evil vermin coming into my home before he has a chance to do me.

Posted by: jsanderssr on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:33 am

Post a Comment View All Comments
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Hard to say it any better then that!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Having the Brady Bunch of clowns comment on the right to bear arms is about as liable to be a fair a presentation as having fidel castro provide a critique on American democracy. Or cindy sheehan commenting on the effectiveness of the American military.

They and ALL the other gun control screechers can go to hell! There are laws on the books that provide for severe penalties for crimes committed with a gun-enforce them stringently! I have not nor will I ever misuse firearms. I like to shoot and do so legally and though I used to love to hunt I no longer do so I hurt no one or no thing. I assure you that I can kill you with a golf club or a baseball bat. Will that feel more pure to the victim?

A monster coming into my home could gut me (or my little grandson) 50 times before the very best police response is even possible but not if I have a firearm. You gun control freaks can go screaming to the slaughter if you like. I'd prefer at least a chance to do unto the evil vermin coming into my home before he has a chance to do me.
    +1
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I love the comment by jsanderssr. He said just about everything that needed to be said.

The ban, in a city once considered the nation's murder capital, was based on findings that handguns were disproportionately used by criminals.
    I love this part of the article. What is considered disproportionate use? Guns used in crimes? Yeah, I guess handguns used in crimes would be more disproportionately used by criminals, since it's a crime and committing a crime makes you a criminal.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Maybe they should just ban guns in one state, or city, whatever and all the gun control activists can move there and be in their perfect paradise (where only criminals will have guns). Hell, I'd be willing to donate to a fund (moving costs) that we could give to all the people who want to move to that perfect state/city. ;)

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence rated Louisiana more lax than all but two other states Kentucky and Oklahoma in regulating guns. The group says the state "lacks common sense gun restrictions."
    I get sooo tired of hearing that! It is their way of saying banning guns!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Program officials have offered $200 for a tip resulting in confiscation of a handgun and $500 for one that brings in an assault rifle.

Damn you would almost make money on that....is an SKS an evil assault rifle?
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockk View Post
    Maybe they should just ban guns in one state, or city, whatever and all the gun control activists can move there and be in their perfect paradise (where only criminals will have guns). Hell, I'd be willing to donate to a fund (moving costs) that we could give to all the people who want to move to that perfect state/city. ;)
    They've already done this. It's called Washington D.C.!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    They've already done this. It's called Washington D.C.!
    Indeed! Now we just gotta move all the anti's to the city, and help all our friends out of there! Who's with me!? ;)

I can dream, right? :)

Links