TN: Naifeh screws us twice in one day

This is a discussion on TN: Naifeh screws us twice in one day within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Owners' permit records will stay open to public Naifeh's actions help reverse earlier passage By THEO EMERY Staff Writer A proposal to make secret the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN: Naifeh screws us twice in one day

Owners' permit records will stay open to public

Naifeh's actions help reverse earlier passage

By THEO EMERY
    Staff Writer

A proposal to make secret the names and addresses of Tennesseans who have handgun carry permits died in a whirlwind of political intrigue Wednesday, aided by state House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh.

First, freshman House member Henry Fincher engineered a vote on the bill while two of its opponents — two of his more senior colleagues — were out of the room.

In turn, Naifeh reversed the vote with the help of the House's newest member, Karen Camper, who had been sworn in only about an hour earlier.

The end result: The names and addresses of permit holders will remain public for now.

"When the majority party finds it doesn't have the votes it needs to accomplish what it wants to accomplish — in this case, trampling on the Second Amendment rights of Tennesseans — it massages the rules and finds a way to get it accomplished," House Republican Leader Jason Mumpower said.

The House Criminal Practice Subcommittee had a calendar of nearly 90 bills to consider Wednesday.

The group first approved the bill in question — voting to close the gun permit records — when two members of the committee who opposed the idea, Reps. Rob Briley and Janis Sontany, were out of the room.

When the two Nashville Democrats were gone, Fincher, a Cookeville Democrat, called the bill up for a vote, and it was quickly approved without debate.

A short time later, Naifeh arrived at the subcommittee meeting from the swearing-in ceremony for Camper, a Democrat recently appointed to fill a vacant House seat from Shelby County.

Naifeh added Camper to the subcommittee. The two then joined with the bill's opponents to reverse the earlier vote and banished the legislation until 2012.

The speaker afterward said he had not talked with Camper about the vote beforehand, and that they went to the committee hearing only because she had said she was interested in being on the House Judiciary Committee.

"That's just how it happened," he said.

Mumpower said the voting was not "the proper way that things should have been run."

Naifeh said that he would prefer not to have to cast committee votes as speaker, "but when it's a matter of importance, I do."

Publication spurred bill

The legislation was proposed after The Tennessean posted on its Web site a database listing the names and counties of residence of every handgun permit holder in the state. The Senate version of the bill is scheduled for a floor vote today.

This was not the first time that Naifeh had cast votes to kill gun legislation.

Two weeks ago, he dropped in on the same subcommittee to vote against several other gun-related bills. House rules allow him to make such votes as speaker.

And a year ago, Naifeh also brought a newly sworn-in House member to the House Agricultural Committee, where she cast a key vote that helped pass a cigarette tax increase.

Fincher defended his decision to call up the bill when Sontany and Briley were out of the room, saying, "We voted with the members that were in the room, as we have on every bill that we had a quorum with today.

"I'm a strong supporter of gun owner rights, and their confidentiality, and I believe that that is an important value to be upheld by the legislature," he said.

Fincher said he didn't take the reversal of the vote as a reprimand.

"I didn't take it that way. I think they had strong feelings on the bill, as did I. They had the votes."

Frank Gibson, director of the Tennessee Coalition for Open Government, said that the gun permit records should be open to scrutiny and that the bill was initially approved in the subcommittee without any discussion or debate.

"There has to be some way for the public and the press to know whether the program is being properly administered and to ensure that permits are not given to people who by law are not supposed to be able to carry them," he said.

The chairman of the full judiciary committee, Rep. Kent Coleman, a Murfreesboro Democrat, said he was taken by surprise when Fincher called the bill up for a vote.

He said he didn't like the idea of closing the gun permit records, but he initially voted in favor of the bill in a parliamentary tactic, so that he could later make a motion to have that vote reconsidered.

Bill to allow handguns in bars dies

By THEO EMERY
    Staff Writer

A bill that would have allowed gun owners to bring handguns into bars and other establishments serving alcohol died on Wednesday at the urging of House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh, the bill's sponsor said.

The so-called "guns in bars" bill had been introduced and defeated numerous times in previous years. It was recently the butt of a segment on the Colbert Report television show, with video footage of Senate sponsor Doug Jackson, a Dickson Democrat, at a gun range shooting at an apple pie, a hot dog and a baseball.

House sponsor Joe McCord, a Maryville Republican, said a pre-hearing discussion Wednesday with Naifeh and fellow committee member Rep. Rob Briley made him "painfully aware" that the legislation could not be approved in its current form.

He told the committee that "responsible" legislation would require legal definitions of bars and nightclubs that don't exist under state law. Further study was needed to hammer out those definitions, he said.

"Over the summer, we are going to have to try to come up with a definition of nightclub or a definition of bar that currently does not exist in codes," he said. "That is the only way I think that we can accomplish the goal."

Naifeh, a Covington Democrat, appeared briefly in the House Criminal Practices Subcommittee on Wednesday, conferred with lawmakers and lawyers for several minutes, and then left.

He didn't vote on the "guns in bars" bill, although he could have. He is allowed to vote under House rules.

He later returned to the same subcommittee meeting Wednesday to reverse another vote on a bill that would have made private information about people who have state-issued handgun carry permits.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

You guys need to vote that idiot out of office with a freaking quickness!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Yeah I heard this yesterday on the news...

Why doesn't Naifeh go home and enjoy life or far as I'm concerned stroke..He sure does what the *bleep* he wants.

Seems like the voters should have referendums on some stuff and allowed to vote instead of letting Nashville decide everything

Bad enough about Naifeh but look what I saw in today's local paper

Library posts notice banning guns at north branch | jacksonsun.com |
    Library posts notice banning guns at north branch

By NICHOLAS BEADLE
    nbeadle@jacksonsun.com
    • April 3, 2008

Read Comments(9)Recommend Print this page E-mail this article
    Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
    If you're looking for a book in North Jackson, don't bring your gun.

Two weeks ago, Jackson-Madison County Library officials posted notices near the entrances of the library's branch off North Highland Avenue warning visitors that firearms are not allowed inside.

Arlene Griffin, who manages the library's north branch, said library officials decided to put up the signs after a frequent patron asked her if he could bring his gun inside.

The patron has a permit to carry a gun but left the gun in his car, she said.

"He said, 'Is this something I should not do later on?'" Griffin said.

Griffin said she contacted Jackson police about state law. Police advised her to post the signs.

"It's one of those weird things that came up," Griffin said. "I haven't noticed anybody carrying."

She said no library users had asked about the signs, but readers said Wednesday that they had noticed the warnings.

Mark Sinclair said he first spotted the signs about a week ago.

"I don't know why anybody should bring a gun in here," said Sinclair, 45, of Jackson. "It makes sense, but I don't know why you would have to spell it out."

Janice Henry said she had noticed the signs in recent weeks when she stopped by for reference material for her management class.

She said she has never worried about someone bringing a gun into the library, but understands why the signs were posted.

"Obviously people shouldn't bring guns to places like this building, but they do," said Henry, 45, also from Jackson.

There are no immediate plans to post warnings at the library's main downtown branch, Library Director Richard Salmons said.

"We're not looking to put up any signage," he said. "But that issue could change if someone comes and asks for it."

Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.

- Nicholas Beadle, (731) 425-9763
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    You guys need to vote that idiot out of office with a freaking quickness!
    For some reason we can't get rid of this creep.....augh

Tn's Naifeh kills bill to close handgun permit records

God, this guy is annoying.....

Naifeh kills bill to close handgun permit records

Speaker Jimmy Naifeh has intervened to stop legislation that would prohibit the public from seeing any state-issued handgun permit.

A House subcommittee had voted earlier Wednesday to advance the measure sponsored by Eddie Bass, a Prospect Democrat, while two major opponents of the bill were out of the room.

Naifeh, a Covington Democrat, then assigned the Legislature's newest Democratic member, Rep. Karen Camper, to the panel. Together they helped override the earlier decision, and killed the bill on a 5-4 vote.

Camper, a Memphis Democrat, was sworn into the House on Wednesday afternoon to replace the late Rep. Gary Rowe.

The companion measure is scheduled for a Senate floor vote on Thursday.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...5&provider=rss
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Only his constituents can vote him out of office, and until they do, I'm afraid the rest of us are stuck with him. On Channel 4's news item in Nashville, they noted "Mr. Speaker" claimed he is not anti-gun; he's even started the first stage of applying for a permit himself. Does that remind you of any other prominent hypocrites (Feinstein)?

What the heck is starting the 1st stage? Take the test, wait for permit in the mail..

Not to sound negative but how old is Naifeh, I can't believe this guy, think he's said TN will never have restaurant carry as long as he's up there

this guy sucks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    What the heck is starting the 1st stage? Take the test, wait for permit in the mail.
    Who knows? He's likely just blowing smoke to cover himself. His constituents (the majority of them, at least) likely won't notice because of all of the "bacon" he can (supposedly) bring home as the Speaker.

I tell ya...guys like him are a prime example of why we need term limits

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    I tell ya...guys like him are a prime example of why we need term limits
    I agree, for that reason and many others besides....

VIP Member
    What a thorn in the side that guy is. I know you Tennesseans could spit nails.

Quote from jacksonsun.com: "Two weeks ago, Jackson-Madison County Library officials posted notices near the entrances of the library's branch off North Highland Avenue warning visitors that firearms are not allowed inside."

Sigh! If only criminals would obey signs, we could all rest easy. Utopia must be a wonderful fantasy world to live in! When will the sheeple learn?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

They won't....Thats why ever so often the herd gets thinned out

boo
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Maybe next year or the year after that
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links