Good News In South Carolina

This is a discussion on Good News In South Carolina within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WLTX-TV News, Weather, Sports for Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina Columbia (AP) - People as young as 18 can now buy and own ...

Thread: Good News In South Carolina

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Good News In South Carolina

WLTX-TV News, Weather, Sports for Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina

Columbia (AP) - People as young as 18 can now buy and own handguns in South Carolina. Governor Mark Sanford signed a bill into law Wednesday to lower the minimum age from 21.

"People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns, and the bill will put our laws more in line with those of other states," Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer said.

The law went into effect immediately.

South Carolina is one of 18 states -- and the only one in the South -- that had set 21 as the age for handgun ownership, according to the National Rifle Association. The group says Wyoming has no handgun age requirement. In Montana, it's set at 14; in Vermont, 16.

Rep. Mike Pitts, a Laurens Republican and retired police officer, had filed the bill to help out a national gun wholesaler located in Lexington County where employees younger than 21 were filling orders over the phone. A legal opinion by state Attorney General Henry McMaster had said that was not allowed because of their age and Pitts argued it would cost half the company's workers their jobs.

Pitts said gun retailers will still have to comply with state and federal firearms laws.

He said he sees no need to change the minimum age of 21 for a concealed weapons permit in South Carolina.
    It would have been nice to see the minimum age for CCW lowered to 18 as well, but this is a good start.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

[i]

It would have been nice to see the minimum age for CCW lowered to 18 as well, but this is a good start.
    I don't agree with this. How many young punks are out there now that have a juvenile history that will be erased when they turn 18.

Around here there are a lot of youthful offenders that are violent. They had 3 or 4 pull off an armed holdup not long ago. They will not have a history when they turn 18. SO let's allow them to buy a handgun legally.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

It really is amazing how much the average person learns during those three years between 18-21. I am not talking about the exception but the average person whether male or female. Just visit a local college and compare the freshmen to the seniors. Quite a difference those few years make. Not gonna get into a discussion about what the age limit should be because I think it should be at least 30, maybe even 40. <old man grinning>

not much discussion here? wow
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

"People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns
    I agree with that. I say make the law 18 with a valid military I.D. I think anything that is disallowed by law until age 21 should be allowed with military I.D.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    If you are old enough to stand next to me with a M4 and willing to fight and die for this country then you are old enough to carry a weapon in the civilian world, and drink for that matter too.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    and drink!!!!
    Chase ugly women.
    Do incredibly stupid things.

I sure did

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I think that the 'military ID' is the key for the younger age...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    and drink!!!!
    Chase ugly women.
    Do incredibly stupid things.

I sure did

AFS

Been there done that. People ask "Didn't you do that when you were young?" I answer, "Yep and that is why is scares me so."

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I agree with that. I say make the law 18 with a valid military I.D. I think anything that is disallowed by law until age 21 should be allowed with military I.D.
    I agree with this, but it will bring up a discrimination suit from someone.
    Sean

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    I don't agree with this. How many young punks are out there now that have a juvenile history that will be erased when they turn 18.
    How about we don't erase their juvy record? Age is just a number, (I've heard) but a crime is a crime.

Boy will that take an act of the Almighty Father!

I definitely agree that if we allow the purchase, then the Juvy record should stay intact. BUT, what about all of the 1 time youthful mishaps, that won't buy a gun?

The Gov. has screwed this one up royally!
    Sean

Links