Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval

This is a discussion on Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat By Betty Parker • FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU • April 4, 2008 After ...

Thread: Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval

Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval

Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

By Betty Parker • FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU • April 4, 2008

After rejecting a series of proposed changes, the Senate is poised to give final approval next week to a bill allowing people with permits to carry guns to work regardless of their employers' wishes.
    Advertisement

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Durell Peaden, R-Crestview, has been one of the most heavily lobbied this session, pitting business interests that opposed the bill against the pro-gun lobby and trial attorneys.

But after less than an hour's floor debate Thursday — with opposition coming from a few Democrats — the Senate brought its bill in line with the version that passed the House last week.

The bill says private businesses cannot prevent customers or employees who hold concealed-weapons permits from bringing their guns onto the employers' property as long as the guns stay locked in their cars. It also grants several exemptions, including places such as schools (though not child-care centers or pre-schools), law-enforcement facilities and jails, airports, and defense contractors.

Sen. Dave Aronberg, D-Greenacres, unsuccessfully proposed adding pharmacies as another spot that should have a ban. If his amendment had been accepted, it would have slowed the bill's progress.

Its rejection, he said, showed the problem with the bill.

"What we are doing here with this bill is constitutional rights by whim," Aronberg said. "If we have the 2nd Amendment right to guns in the workplace, so be it. But it shouldn't be on case-by-case with the Legislature granting these exemptions."

Veteran NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer watched sternly from the front row of the spectator gallery, accompanied by former Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, who unsuccessfully backed a similar bill last year.

Hammer said the amendments proposed Thursday were an effort to stall the bill's progress, and she was pleased at their defeat.

Although the quick rejection of unwelcome amendments signaled the bill is destined for formal approval and a trip to the governor's desk, Hammer said she's taking nothing for granted. "I don't make predictions in the Legislative arena," she said. "In this arena, anything can happen, right up through the last minute."
    Actually, Aronberg is right on. Why are some of the places exempted, and not others?
    Logically, they should ALL be allowed. But, that would be too much for some to swallow.

Yeah! Keep on Florida!
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 4th, 2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added comment
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Agreed. But, the antis have been taking away our rights piece by piece. Maybe we need to use the same tactic to win them back.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Guns-at-work bill set for final Florida Senate approval | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

Actually, Aronberg is right on. Why are some of the places exempted, and not others?
    Logically, they should ALL be allowed. But, that would be too much for some to swallow.

Yeah! Keep on Florida!

Here's the response I received fr my State Representative when I sent him an email asking for his support. ....

Dear David and Carol:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding gun rights. As a newly elected representative, constituent input is very important to me as I travel to Tallahassee during my first legislative session.

I support the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and our right to bear arms. I am also a member of the National Rifle Association. I did vote in favor of HB 503, and will continue to monitor this legislation very closely.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact our office. If you have additional comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my staff or me.

Sincerely,

Chris Dorworth

State Representative

Needless to say, he'll get my vote again!

Links