carry in national parks

carry in national parks

This is a discussion on carry in national parks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i just sent my reps a letter about passing the right to carry in national parks. GOA has a pre written letter you can send. ...

carry in national parks

i just sent my reps a letter about passing the right to carry in national parks. GOA has a pre written letter you can send. they vote tomorrow i believe...click at top right where it says vote against cloture..
    ...GOA Legislative Action Center
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

We should all get on this band wagon. We all know that the BG's also take vacations too and are most likely armed since I guess that they can't read "NO Weapons". I dont think the park police will be any more responsive in an area of 1000's of sq. miles... so maybe we should be able to respond ourselves! Just my .03 cents.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Sent x 2.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sent.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Done !

It is hard to see the reasoning; that my concealed carry license will allow me to carry in 31 states and into most businesses and public places there, but they won't or don't trust me to carry in the National Parks with the same license.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

yes, i agree samh
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Your reps aren't going to do anything about it at this point. The new rules and request for public comment, should be released in a few weeks. There will be action required then. We will all have to participate in the public comments process. But every expectation is that the new rules will defer gun rules to the states. That means that state law will be the determining factor of whether or not you can carry.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

done deal. +1samh.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Your reps aren't going to do anything about it at this point. The new rules and request for public comment, should be released in a few weeks. There will be action required then. We will all have to participate in the public comments process. But every expectation is that the new rules will defer gun rules to the states. That means that state law will be the determining factor of whether or not you can carry.
    The request for public input should begin around the end of April.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

This is how these comment things usually work:

A document will be available at the end of the month. It will have two or three (or more) courses of action. One will be "No Change", one will suggest a major change, and possibly two or three others will suggest alternatives in between. One of the choices will be a "Preferred Alternative". This tells you what the government folks want to happen. If the preferred alternative makes a positive change, then you have a foot in the door - they are thinking that the policy should be changed. Readers will be asked to weigh in on one of the alternatives. At this time it is very important to send massive numbers of comments in. You can also suggest an alternative that is not one of the alternatives, but this takes a lot of support to be successful. When you write your comments, they will have MUCH more impact if they originate with you, not just some boilerplate language from a organization or web site. I have been through this process many times, and people I know in the government have told me that the best letter is one that states a position, then gives collaborating support, then re-states the position at the end.

Minnesota RP Senator Response

Thank you for taking the time to contact me concerning the Protecting Americans from Violent Crime Act of 2008 (S. 2619). I support this legislation because I am concerned the current system governing firearms in national parks is confusing and outdated because it does not reflect the vast changes in state gun laws enacted over the past 25 years. The federal government should be consistent with the laws of the states in which these parks reside and it should also respect Second Amendment rights.

As you may know, the Protecting Americans from Violent Crime Act of 2008 was introduced on February 8, 2008, by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) and referred to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. This legislation states that the Secretary of Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if: (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the park or land is located.

With regard to your concern firearms would still be prohibited at national monuments and visitors to national parks in states without conceal and carry laws would be required to follow state law. You may be interested to know that this legislation will not override state and local laws that prohibit the possession of fire arms and do not provide state residents with conceal and carry permits. Also, this bill would not allow poaching to occur on federal lands.

Concerned citizens will also have the opportunity to submit comments to the Department of the Interior regarding this issue. The Department of the Interior intends to propose new Federal Regulations by April 30 to update firearm policies on National Park Service and Fish and Wildlife Service lands. Comments can be submitted electronically to redirect <http://www.regulations.gov/> once the proposed new rule is posted.

While we may agree and disagree at times, please know that I value your advice and I will take a close look at S. 2619 with your concerns in mind when it comes before the full Senate for a vote.

Thank you once again for contacting me. If I may be of further assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Norm Coleman
    United States Senate
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Links