TN Members, article by speaker Naifeh on his anti gun votes. :MERGED

This is a discussion on TN Members, article by speaker Naifeh on his anti gun votes. :MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The following is an article written by Jimmy Naifeh, speaker of the Tennessee House, on why is cast two blatantly anti-gun votes recently. Draw your ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TN Members, article by speaker Naifeh on his anti gun votes. :MERGED

The following is an article written by Jimmy Naifeh, speaker of the Tennessee House, on why is cast two blatantly anti-gun votes recently.

Draw your own conclusions, but I personally think he is full of crap. He's a liar and a coward and the sooner he is no longer in office, the better off Tennessee will be.

"April 9, 2008

Tennessee's latest gun bills were a perversion of our right to bear arms

By HOUSE SPEAKER JIMMY NAIFEH
    Tennessee Voices

"In a healthy nation, there is a kind of dramatic balance between the will of the people and the government, which prevents its degeneration into tyranny." — Albert Einstein

As many of you may or may not know, the speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives has the right to cast a vote in any committee or subcommittee meeting. In my nearly 20 years as speaker, I have made it a point to use this privilege sparingly and save it for times when I feel such intervention is needed.

This year, the House of Representatives has been faced with a number of bills dealing with the topic of guns. As a gun owner myself and someone who supports the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the issue of gun ownership is a personal one. While I have and will continue to defend Tennesseans' right to bear arms, I also recognize that with that right comes the need for responsibility. That need for responsibility led me to cast my vote against these bills.

There are some who have said these votes were "anti-gun" votes, trying to paint me and those who support my efforts as anti-Second Amendment. That could not be further from the truth. In addition to owning 16 different firearms, a few weeks ago I became one of more than 190,000 to earn a concealed-weapons permit.

The aim of these bills was not to protect or defend the Second Amendment of this country, but rather an attempt by an extreme few to pervert our right to bear arms into a law that only recognizes a select few. Allowing people to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants does nothing to improve safety but rather opens the door to much larger problems. Restricting and criminalizing access to the more than 190,000 concealed-weapons permit holders records does nothing for the protection of Tennessee's 6.5 million residents. And so I voted these bills down.

The Jackson Sun editorial board praised my actions, not once but twice, saying "there's no doubt that Naifeh made the right decision in helping defeat these bills, not just because his constituents were opposed to them, but because killing the legislation will help keep Tennesseans safe."

Most gun owners who I have talked to understand why this legislation was not acceptable, and recognize that here in Tennessee we have it pretty good. They, along with most Tennesseans, realize that the balance between those who own firearms and those who do not must be respected. But you cannot please everyone all the time, and so there are a couple of radicals out there claiming an anti-gun agenda ruled the day.

I've said it before, I'll say it again and will continue to say it: As long as I am speaker, we will never have to worry about our Second Amendment right being infringed upon."
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

So he believes that his 2 recent votes that infringed on my right to bear arms did NOT infringe upon my right to bear arms? Maybe I missed something. Or maybe I just haven't gotten my head right yet this morning. Surely it isn't the Speaker's warped sense of self that is askew here.

I have to stop now. I may get in really big trouble if I continue down this path.

By the way, Mr. Speaker, Tennessee does not have a concealed weapon permit. Tennessee has a Handgun Carry Permit. There is a big difference, sir.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Senior Moderator
    Bull, the very things he's claimed has been disproven in practice in many states all over the nation. Owning firearms does not make one pro 2A. One cannot say he supports the 2A while he votes down legislation to correct 2A infringements that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I wonder how much money he got from passing the bill to allow more cable companies and etc in

I really do not like this guy.

Is he up for election this year? Doubt we'll get rid of him like that so our best bet to get a new majority in Nashville...

I will say if someone does run against him,,,,I'm putting a check in the mail...

Isn't his wife some sort of lobbist or something

He sounds a lot like Mississippi's Speaker of the House. He knows what is best for you and that is how it is going to be, like it or not.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I think one of our TX representatives said something that reflects on the speaker's attitude: "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)*****

Daps,
    According to some reports I've seen, Naifeh's wife is one of the highest paid lobbyists in the State of Tenn. For one report on how this has worked in the past, read this article.
    Are Tennessee's House Speaker and His Lobbyist Wife Teaming Up for AT&T? | Free Press
    Lobbyists privately scoff at that, however, as meaningless in any practical way even if true because, regardless of what Naifeh or Anderson say, "there's a fear and apprehension out there among the legislators" that the speaker might retaliate if his wife is crossed, one lobbyist says.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Why can't he just get hit by a bus or something?
    Jack

I am really, really sick of this guy.

smells funny

WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!
    Excuse me while I go and puke.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Daps,
    According to some reports I've seen, Naifeh's wife is one of the highest paid lobbyists in the State of Tenn. For one report on how this has worked in the past, read this article.
    Are Tennessee's House Speaker and His Lobbyist Wife Teaming Up for AT&T? | Free Press
    See this is pissin me off....guys a crook

It is the TN Republicans fault........

Naifeh gets 7 GOP votes; remains Speaker of the House | Affairs of State | NashvillePost.com: Nashville Business News + Nashville Political News

Naifeh gets 7 GOP votes; remains Speaker of the House
    Seven Republicans buck their own leadership and vote Naifeh

In an anticlimatic, never-in-doubt turn of events, clearly deserving of second billing on the day, State Rep. Jimmy Naifeh (D-Tiptonville) was re-elected Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives today, collecting all of the Democratic votes as well as seven Republican ones.

Republicans who voted for Naifeh were, State Rep.s Mike Harrison (Sneedville), Joe McCord (Maryville), Steve McDaniel (Parkers Crossroads), Richard Montgomery (Sevierville), Doug Overbey (Maryville), Dennis Roach (Rutledge), and Kent Williams (Elizabethton).

The GOP nominee for Speaker for was Rep. Jason Mumpower (Bristol).

Naifeh is the longest-serving Speaker of the House in Tennessee history, having held the post since 1991.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Tennessee House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh lied

Think We'll see this on the news? Any chance TN Mike?....

« TRP Weekly Report - 7/3/08
    SPEAKER NAIFEH LIED ABOUT HAVING GUN PERMIT

NASHVILLE, TN - Public records show that Tennessee House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh lied in order to give himself political cover for his attack gun rights legislation during the last legislative session.

On April 11, nine days after he used parliamentary tricks to kill two pieces of legislation designed to enhance Tennesseans’ gun rights and the privacy of gun permit records, Naifeh claimed he was a friend of gun owners, and stated he was one of more than 190,000 Tennesseans who had a “concealed-weapons permit.” But public records show that Naifeh did not even apply for a handgun carry permit until three weeks later.

In his press release issued April 11, Naifeh wrote, “A few weeks ago I became one of more than 190,000 to earn a concealed-weapons permit.” But the evidence gathered by the Tennessee Firearms Association through open-records requests shows that Naifeh’s boast was a lie - in fact, Naifeh, the powerful Democrat House Speaker, did not even apply for a handgun carry permit until April 21, and could not legally have received his permit until at least a month later.

The TFA documentation also shows Speaker Naifeh may have gotten special treatment in having his application processed quickly.

Here is the chronology:

April 2: Speaker Naifeh uses parliamentary tricks to kill two pieces of gun-rights legislation that had already passed a key House committee - legislation that would have expanded Tennesseans’ rights to carry weapons for self-protection and also protected the identities of handgun carry permit holders. His actions spark a firestorm of criticism from gun rights supporters.

April 11: Speaker Naifeh issues a press release praising himself for his actions and attempting to paint himself as a friend of gun owners and carry permit holders, claiming, “A few weeks ago I became one of more than 190,000 to earn a concealed-weapons permit.”

With that one statement, Speaker Naifeh made it clear that he does not even understand Tennessee’s 15-year-old law establishing the handgun carry permit system, which does not require the permit holder to conceal the weapon when carrying it. With that statement, Naifeh also lied to the people of Tennessee.

After Naifeh issued his press release, the TFA filed an open records request to obtain Jimmy Naifeh’s handgun permit application records - and discovered that Speaker Naifeh lied.

When he issued that press release, Jimmy Naifeh had not even applied for the civilian handgun permit

According to records obtained by the TFA:

Naifeh provided the state with a certificate showing he took a handgun certification class on March 29, 2008, at Brighton Arms with a Smith and Wesson Model 8906 9mm semi-automatic pistol.
    However, he did not apply for a civilian handgun permit with the Tennessee Department of Safety until April 21, 2008 - 10 days after he issued a press release claiming he already had a permit.
    According to state records, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation completed its required background check on Naifeh on April 22, proving the state can do background checks in one day, if the applicant is politically powerful and connected.
    Tennessee Firearms Association executive director John Harris, commenting on the facts on the TFA’s website, noted that Naifeh “was able to get a TBI background check in less than 24 hours whereas most Tennesseans are waiting literally months for renewal permits to be issued.” “Of course,” Harris said, “Jimmy Naifeh has an armed Highway Patrol Officer to protect him while the Tennessee Department of Safety processes his civilian handgun permit application so there should have been no urgency.

On May 12, 2008 - a month and a day after Naifeh claimed he already had his permit - the Tipton County Sheriff completed the local background check that is required before a permit can be issued.
    “The documents and facts are inarguable: Tennessee Democrat Jimmy Naifeh lied to the good people of Tennessee in order to provide political cover for his attack on gun owners’ rights,” said Robin Smith, chairman of the Tennessee Republican Party.

“For all his political posturing, Jimmy Naifeh is no friend of gun owner’s rights in Tennessee, and the Democrat legislators who continue to work along side Naifeh in his political theater aren’t either,” Smith said.

Tennessee Republican Party communications director Bill Hobbs said Naifeh’s consistent opposition to gun owners’ rights should be a significant issue for voters this election year. “We agree with Tennessee Firearms Association executive director John Harris, who commented on the TFA’s website that Tennessee voters should demand their legislative candidates commit to not re-electing Naifeh as House Speaker next year.”

Harris said: “Tennesseans across the state can impact the appointment of the Speaker by demanding that all candidates pledge that they will not support Jimmy Naifeh as Speaker when the Legislature re-convenes in January. That should be relatively easy to do with Republicans and Independents. With Democrats it will be necessary to get their pledges - in writing - that they will not vote for Jimmy Naifeh - at any time - as Speaker. It really does not matter who they vote for as long as it is not Jimmy Naifeh. It’s time for Tennessee’s constitutionalists and Second Amendment supporters (the real ones) to make an issue of Jimmy Naifeh.”
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Not surprising. Too bad it won't get him out of office so you guys can get some decent reform down there.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links