These people are now Criminals and Traitors to the Commonwealth..PA (MERGED) - Page 3

These people are now Criminals and Traitors to the Commonwealth..PA (MERGED)

This is a discussion on These people are now Criminals and Traitors to the Commonwealth..PA (MERGED) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have roughly 600,000 ltcf permits issued here. Around a million hunters and I don't know how many gun owners in this state. We have ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    kpw
    We have roughly 600,000 ltcf permits issued here. Around a million hunters and I don't know how many gun owners in this state. We have to stay vigilant of the antis from the bigger cities but, overall, I think PA is one of the safer states when it comes to prohibitive gun laws. Dems outnumber repubs here but they are not all liberal democrats. I like to think of them as mis-guided and mis-informed. Bill Clinton once described PA as Philly and Pittsburgh with arkansas in the middle. I think that's close but we don't have as many chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKolt View Post
    Please...things are bad enough here in the PRNJ

We are hoping to escape within the next year, we're looking in PA, NH, TN, and WV. Realistically, where does the group see the PA gun laws going in the future? Don't want to move from one gun hating state to another...

"Calling the actions "historic," Mayor Nutter signed the measures and ordered immediate enforcement."

What an apt name for this loco mayor!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

mayor of the city of Philadelphia signs gun laws

Two steps forward and three steps back!

Posted on Fri, Apr. 11, 2008 on Philly.com

Nutter defiantly signs five gun laws

Council's measures appear to fly in the face of state law and legal precedent. The NRA says it will sue.

By Jeff Shields

Inquirer Staff Writer

Mayor Nutter likened himself and City Council members yesterday to the band of rebels who formed this country as he signed five new gun-control laws that defy the state legislature and legal precedent.
    "Almost 232 years ago, a group of concerned Americans took matters in their own hands and did what they needed to do by declaring that the time had come for a change," Nutter said as he signed the bills in front of a table of confiscated weapons outside the police evidence room in City Hall.

"We are going to make ourselves independent of the violence that's been taking place in this city for far too long," he said.

The five laws - called everything from unconstitutional to criminal by critics - do the following:

Limit handgun purchases to one a month.

Require lost or stolen firearms to be reported to police within 24 hours.

Prohibit individuals under protection-from-abuse orders from possessing guns if ordered by the court.

Allow removal of firearms from "persons posing a risk of imminent personal injury" to themselves or others.

Outlaw the possession and sale of certain assault weapons.

Nutter said he would begin to enforce the laws immediately, with the exception of the one-gun-a-month requirement, which takes effect in six months.

Nutter defiantly signs five gun laws | Philadelphia Inquirer | 04/11/2008

Assistant Administrator
    You'd think Philly was no longer part of PA - this behavior sure flies in the face of state statutes. I Guess preemption is too lowly for this Mayor to regard as meaningful.

He must have been on phone too long to Daley and Bloomberg ....... all people who disregard the BOR.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I doubt they can enforce those laws.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Wonder if I could get any money from the city for a wrongful arrest???
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If the mayor of Philly was really like the Americans that "took matters into their own hands" 232 years ago, his "people" wouldn't be living in the squalor they live in today. They are just as stupid today as they were 232 years ago.

Does anybody see the parallels between Nutter and Nagin??

Like my Grandpa used to say: "Corruption and Avarice are like water, they will always follow the path of least resistance; That is why we have crooked rivers and crooked men."
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Hard to believe they would have to impose more gun laws in the "City of Brotherly Love"!!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Seems to me that the Atty General would have the authority to charge these clowns for violating state constitution/law. TREASON perhaps?

Even in California, the State Court shot down San Francisco's recent bans for violating state law.

THIS IS ALL POLITICAL GRANDSTANDING & BS.

But that's JMO
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Bill Clinton once described PA as Philly and Pittsburgh with arkansas in the middle. I think that's close but we don't have as many chickens.
    One of the local radio guys here calls it Pennsyltucky.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    One of the local radio guys here calls it Pennsyltucky.
    So true. The much vaunted Kentucky rifle (flintlock) actually was created in PA. They were purchased in PA and taken to the Kentucky frontier.

Northern Appalachian range goes through PA.

I live close to NJ, so things are more "urbane". If I could, I would move out to north-central PA on my own mountain.

Now as to those idiots in phila and the idiot in harrisburg. I can't claim credit for them. I voted against the idiot in harrisburg.

This should be overturned, but it will cost $$$ from the unluckey test case.

And exactly what are the criteria for the "assault weapons"?

Move

Go west young man, go west!
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Another locality trying to get on the bandwagon

I cannot wait until the municipalities get put back in line.

Spencer: Lower Chi gunning for trouble with new ordinance

Spencer: Lower Chi gunning for trouble with new ordinance
    By Gil Spencer, Times Columnist

Lower Chichester’s elected officials are at it again.

First they decided to set their own speed limits, in violation of state law.

Then they decided to outlaw cell phones while driving, in violation of state law.

Now, in their wisdom, they want to require new residents to provide the government with a list of all the firearms in their homes, also in violation of state law.

Among the WHEREASes in Lower Chi’s new ordinance:

WHEREAS, the, annual sales of firearms in the United States is ever increasing; and,

WHEREAS, firearms, and especially handguns, play a major role in the commission of homicide, aggravated assaults and armed robberies; and,

WHEREAS, the improper storage of firearms and ammunition is a major factor in accidental deaths and injuries in homes ...

NOW, THEREFORE, be it ordained...

... That if you move into Lower Chichester and don’t provide the local government with all the gun information it wants you will be punished.

They could have added one more WHEREAS.

WHEREAS, this ordinance is blatantly illegal, breaking the state prohibition against municipalities enacting their own gun laws, it will not stand. (More about that in a minute.)

It was reader David Larkins who brought this to my attention.

He happened to see the public notice in Friday’s newspaper announcing the intentions of the township.

Larkins doesn’t live in Lower Chi but he does own property there. It took him a while to get a copy of the ordinance but when he did, it was worse than he thought.

“This is a municipality that creates their own speed limits and imposed their own cell phone law,” Larkins said. “What are they doing, creating their own country down there?”

Yeah. It’s called Gasparistan. And it’s presided over by King Rocco the II.

I called his majesty Friday, but he wasn’t at his residence. I got his very nice wife instead and she said she’d get him the message.

I thought of asking her if she knew how many guns she and her husband have stashed at their castle but I thought better of it. I didn’t want to be rude. It’s really none of my business. Or yours.

While I waited for him to call back I called a few gun-rights zealots.

Melody Zullinger, the executive director of the state Federation of Sportsmens Clubs, said she had read the ordinance.

“If they pass it they are going to be having a lawsuit on their hands,” she said bluntly. “We have state pre-emption laws to prevent cities and townships from doing these types of things.”

I asked NRA volunteer Mike Slatinsky if he had any problems with Lower Chi’s proposed ordinance.

“I got a lot of problems with it,” he said. “It’s an invasion of privacy. It’s illegal. It’s the same thing that Philadelphia just did and Philadelphia is going to pay the price for it.”

Who’d have thunk Gasparistan would have so much in common with its much bigger brother to the northeast.

Lower Chi solicitor Frank Sbondi told me the ordinance is less broad than what Philly Mayor Michael Nutter has proposed. And he’s right. But that doesn’t make it any less illegal, according to the NRA’s John Hohenwater.

“Violations of our state pre-emption law aren’t measured by their level of contempt of the law. I would expect something will be done to remedy the problem to protect gun owners in that area.”

When I told Sbondi the NRA’s reaction he said, “Gee, that’s a shame. We’re only trying to protect our police and our firemen.”

Just the other day, a Trainer man was convicted of shooting and disabling Norwood Police Officer Matt Illich last year. It would help the cops to know who has guns in their communities and who doesn’t.

But this silly ordinance isn’t going to do that. It only affects new residents, requiring the information when a new certificate of occupancy is issued on a property.

“It’s a knee-jerk reaction,” said Slatinsky. “The only people this is going to hurt is law-abiding people.”

Sbondi says the township is just trying to get with the times. He pointed out when the Second Amendment was written by “our boys from England” it took “42 seconds” to load a musket. Today, it takes about one second to put out 42 rounds from a banana-clipped automatic weapon.

“We don’t try to make unconstitutional things,” said Sbondi. “But Nutter is trying to do his job and we’re trying to do our job. We’re not trying to be foolish or anything else. We’re just trying to save people’s lives.”

Maybe their passing an illegal law will prod state legislators to “get off their tails and do what’s right,” Sbondi said.

Maybe. And maybe King Rocco (who didn’t call back) will start conducting wedding ceremonies for same sex couples this summer.

When public officials publicly disrespect and break the law they shouldn’t be surprised when less exalted members of society do the same.

Whereas, this law will do nothing to make Lower Chichester safer but waste taxpayer time and money, it ought to be trashed.

Will it? No. This is, after all, Gasparistan.

Gil Spencer’s column appears Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. E-mail him at gspencer@delcotimes.com.

I read where philly DA Lynn Abraham will not enforce the laws because they are unconstitutional. While she does agree with the intent of the laws (lower crime, yeah whatever) she will not do something illegal, which is more than I can say about the city council.

So 1/2 a kudo to her.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    I read where philly DA Lynn Abraham will not enforce the laws because they are unconstitutional. While she does agree with the intent of the laws (lower crime, yeah whatever) she will not do something illegal, which is more than I can say about the city council.

So 1/2 a kudo to her.
    D.A. says she cannot enforce Philadelphia's new gun laws | Philadelphia Inquirer | 04/16/2008

By Joseph A. Slobodzian

Inquirer Staff Writer
    Just four days after Mayor Nutter and City Council celebrated enactment of a package of five gun-control laws, reality arrived in the form of District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham.

Speaking yesterday at a City Council meeting, Abraham told members that she believed the new laws were unconstitutional and that she would not enforce them.

"They are, on their face, illegal acts," said Abraham, who predicted that the first arrest under the new laws would result in a lawsuit challenging their constitutionality
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links