NRA membership? Why? - Page 2

NRA membership? Why?

This is a discussion on NRA membership? Why? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know some members who are not happy with the direction that NRA has taken. I can't comment on that direction because I don't know ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA membership? Why?

I know some members who are not happy with the direction that NRA has taken. I can't comment on that direction because I don't know what that direction is, but some of you and a few I know personally are not happy.

I am in a find out stage here. I am doing my research. I do it with everything I plan to spend money on. I am not opposed to supporting gun rights groups if I feel that they are in alignment with my views.

My original post stated that instead of getting to the issues, all I have heard from the NRA is "free gifts" this and "free gifts" that. Gun rights is a big issue. What exactly are they fighting for and under what terms. They are asking for my money but they are not telling me what the fight issues are. Yeah, they threw out the phase 'Castle Doctrine' but that was in mere passing. No specifics. Just a hey we got it passed in Florida cool huh, now can I have your credit card number.

I am sure that the NRA has done a lot of good in the past. I dont argue that. I all wanted from them was information on what they are doing now. I am willing to do my part. I just want to know what I am supporting.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Let me clarify----I'm not happy with everything that the NRA does also. I'm not happy with everything that the Republican party does either but I'm a member. If you do not want to join the NRA that's ok,but please join another pro gun shooting,hunting, group that has a lobby in D.C. Do this for our common goal. I belong to several of these organizations. They fight for me and the rights that I feel strong about.(2nd Amendment,CCW,shooting,and hunting) We are only strong in numbers. Join a group that will fight for what you believe in even if you don't agree with them 100%.---------

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Well:
    if your a NRA member you haven't done a thing to advance gun legislation. As has been pointed out the NRA is a sports and training (educational) group.
    If you want to twist arms it's the ILA. The NRA can't divert funds to the ILA.
    So don't join the NRA and give to the ILA.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I hope no one feels that I am against these aforementioned groups. I am not. The only thing I have expressed dislike over is the NRA's recuiting strategy. Up to this point I have not joined because I was uneducated about the groups and the focus. I am now trying to educate myself so I can take part in the fight for gun rights. I appreciate everyones comments and taken offense to none. I intend to join somebody, just not sure who yet.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Second Amendment Fdn runs an annual symposium, each year in a different part of the country. I attended one many years ago in Boston and Alan Gotlieb (who professionally runs a marketing company), Founder of SAF, explained the freebies/raffles/gifts/etc.

I don't recall his numbers, but marketing studies prove that they are effective and they bring in more marginal revenue than they cost to run.

I also find it irritating that they do this, and you can now refuse the gifts (at least when you respond to mailings).

I'm sure it works. I just don't like it. Not why I would join, but that is just me.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Lead Moderator
    I am a NRA member because I feel they are the best way to defend our 2nd ammend. rights. Also , they have sent lawyers in the defend legal gun owners in court. The NRA may not be perfet, but is (IMO) the best we have.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    air force shooter, I'm sorry sir that you feel that the NRA hasn't "done a thing to advance gun legislation". I will check into it further by talking to the people that I see at my hunting club,shooting range,S.H.O.T. show,and NRA convention, also at the gunshows that I attend(at least 10 per year)and if this is true, will not renew my membership.----------

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I'm also not a big fan of NRA. I feel they have gone "corporate" and they tend to act just like any other major company. I personally like GOA and, even though they are smaller, they have a good, grassroots, genuine feel to them. The passion still seems to be there (if that makes sense). I'm also a member of LEAA, which supports private gun ownership from the law enforcement side of the house.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

One side benefit of NRA membership is the NRA endorsed property and casualty insurance program. For $250/year you can obtain Personal Liability and Self Defense Coverage. Personal Liability = $250,000 bodily injury/property damage coverage. Self Defense Coverage = $250,000 Civil Defense and Liability + $50,000 Criminal Defense Reinbursement. If you live in FL of course you won't be faced with a civil suit in a self defense shooting if there is no criminal prosecution. I've spoken with several attorneys and they advised me to get it. "A civil suit defense could cost you all you have and all you'll ever have. Even if you win." That's a quote from an attorney.
    I agree with the consensus here. Join something and support the cause. I agree, the NRA is more compromise oriented than GOA and others. Picture it.
    Where would we be today if they never existed? They are the "gun lobby" that Schumer, Feinstein, Boxer, Kennedy and their like despise. There is strength in numbers.

RSSZ
    I was making a distinction between the NRA and it's lobbying arm the ILA. If the NRA so much as called up a congressman, it's tax exemption would be at risk.

AFS

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I'm a member of the NRA, SAF and GOA, all on a yearly basis. That way I have the option of NOT funding them if they take a stance I disagree with. I also belong to the state organization. And I have contributed to the ILA.

Now let me get up on the soapbox and put on the Nomex.

The NRA does training well. Period.

It is my belief that the NRA/ILA, despite all the propaganda they put out, don't care about whatever guns are on the "fringe" (i.e. so-called "assault weapons) and willingly would sacrifice them rather than stand up for the 2nd Amendment in its' totality. The examples of this are the National Firearms Act (NFA), the Gun Control Act of 1968, the banning of manufacture of civilian "machine guns" in 1986, and the Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) under the Clinton administration. All of those should have been challenged as far up the legal system as possible to get them ruled unconstitutional. And I saw it in their state rep for Illinois (who's office is in D.C.!) who told me over the phone in response to a particularly bad proposed gun grab bill to "not challenge the IL legislators by protesting because then they would not be able to back down from supporting the bill"!

I was very disturbed by the glowing articles about Bill Ruger after he contributed big bucks ($1 million, I think?).

If you want your money to go towards organizations that will protect your gun rights, contribute to the state organizations, the SAF and GOA.

I believe I speak for a majority of people that say to the NRA, "stop sending me all the unsolicited junk mail, telemarketing style phone calls, and useless hats for membership." Present your case for what you are doing with the money contributed and ask for funds in a respectable way.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox now.

The GOA doesn't give you a thing when you pay for the basic membership.
    I still pay.

AFS

I belong to NRA, SAF and LEAA. Personally I think each person has to decide for themselves. The more groups we have fighting for our rights the better.
    But the most important thing is- VOTE!!! If all progun people voted we could get the anti gun people out of office.

There are an estimated 20,000,000 firearms owners in the US, give or take. The NRA claims 4.3 million members. The math tells me that those of us who belong and are active in support of the 2nd Amendment, etc. are totin' the bale for all the other gun owners who enjoy the same freedoms (currently) that we do. The average number of CHL/CCW holders in the states that have Shall Issue laws is about 2%-3% of the total population. There's that disparity again. That means that 2%-3% of us are directly responsible for the reduced crime rates in those states. Isn't that the way it always seems to go? The few with determination and vision and the will to pursue their goals pass the benefit to those sitting on the back of their lap.
    Carry on, gentlemen. We'll take care of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links