NRA membership? Why? - Page 3

NRA membership? Why?

This is a discussion on NRA membership? Why? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The NRA is suing the city of San Francisco hoping to get the gun ban overturned. While they've bent on issues in the past, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NRA membership? Why?

The NRA is suing the city of San Francisco hoping to get the gun ban overturned. While they've bent on issues in the past, I still they're worth supporting. I also support GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation.
    Support the NRA, GOA, & SAF

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread, but let's not forget that the NRA along with the Second Ammendment Foundation went to the courts and challenged the gun confiscations in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina less than a week after they began. They were successful in getting the confiscations to stop and then forced the city to return many of the guns that had been illegally taken. So no, maybe they haven't done anything for you personally (yet) and I completely agree that their fund-raising tactics are annoying at best; but they have stepped up when the chips are down and without them, America would likely be facing bans similar to those in the formerly free UK, Australia and Canada. I'll gladly deal with some extra junk-mail to add my voice and support to those of over 4 million other gun owners.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

This is an old thread and I'm not sure where you're at with the original question, if you've joined or not. If you're curious join for a year and see what it's all about or check out various web sites.

I'm a life member of the NRA and I don't agree with everything they do. I also joined several other groups and I move memberships every once in a while, meaning that I may let a membership lapse in one group while I check out another.

Don't want to join a certain group?, it's your choice and that's what this country was founded on but I encourage you to do something to help support your rights whether it's the NRA, GOA or someone else.

The internet can help you find out what you're looking for. Give it a shot.

I have reread this thread and have one more thing to add. If one does not like how and organization is run or what they accomplish there is only one way to change it. Join and get active. It is just like bitching about who gets elected president if you didn't vote. If the people in charge arn't who you wanted and you don't vote then its your fault for not trying to change it. You don't have a say in the NRA if you arn't a member.

Exclamation Nra Life Members Only

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    You don't have a say in the NRA if you arn't a member.
    Sorry...only LIFE Members and above (like me) have a real VOTE on how the organization is run or by whom. I highly recommend doing a Life Membership. I did mine when the cost was "only" $300. I paid a specified amount every quarter until it was paid off. Possibly one of the best things I ever did...next to becoming one of their certified instructors so many years ago.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Anyone post that they provide range insurance? I droped out for a while when clinton was president because I was probably going to become a criminal anyway(not of my own doing). Hopfully the NRA's list will never be used to target us. The thing is if it gets that bad there will probably be no form of governmet at all. I also get sick of the ILA's fund raising efforts I don't have $25-$75 dollars to give each week.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I didn't see this anywhere but was scanning so I might've missed it: The #1 reason to join the NRA is the fact that shortly after the 2000 election CLINTON said that the #1 reason for Gore's LOSS was the NRA. All those democrats in West-by-God Virginia (a state that hadn't gone Republican in like 50 years) voted their GUNS instead of their party. This was the NRA. Tennessee is the first state not to vote in favor of a favorite son (Gore is from Tenn) in an even longer period, because they voted their GUNS. That was the NRA, primarily.

GOA, CCRKBA, 2nd Amendment Foundation are all good groups but they don't have the financial clout to put out the advertising (radio, TV, print and billboards) necessary for an effective national campaign. That's WHY you need to join the NRA and additionally give to the PACs. ILA and PVF are distinct: Institute for Legislative Action concentrates on LAWS. Political Victory Fund concentrates on electing pro-gun politicians so that ILA will have less work to do in the arena of fighting bad legislation and more to do with promoting pro-gun laws.

So why don't you just give to the PACs instead of joining the base organization? Numbers mean clout, too. Each NRA member is a vote that will also potentially work the issues. That might be worth 100 or more additional votes! The POLS know this. That's why NRA is the most feared and respected lobby on Capitol Hill. So numbers count as perception to our opponents. ALSO, you get the great mags (I recommend America's First Freedom) and other benefits. They have a VISA card and some great insurance programs. Deals on car rentals that I've used several times. Good stuff. They'll keep you in the loop.

SHOTGUN WILLIE! Good to see you! Haven't seen you post in quite awhile. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide, okay?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs up Right now, 50% of American homes have at least one gun

Quote Originally Posted by buzzg
    There are an estimated 20,000,000 firearms owners in the US, give or take. The NRA claims 4.3 million members. The math tells me that those of us who belong and are active in support of the 2nd Amendment, etc. are totin' the bale for all the other gun owners who enjoy the same freedoms (currently) that we do. The average number of CHL/CCW holders in the states that have Shall Issue laws is about 2%-3% of the total population. There's that disparity again. That means that 2%-3% of us are directly responsible for the reduced crime rates in those states. Isn't that the way it always seems to go? The few with determination and vision and the will to pursue their goals pass the benefit to those sitting on the back of their lap.
    Carry on, gentlemen. We'll take care of you.
    Less than 10% of the country owns a gun? Where did you get this figure? The Brady Bunch? The Dept of Justice estimates in 1994 said that the number of gunowning Americans was (then) at about 100 million. But you're numbers on the holders of CCW permits are about right. But viewed in the big picture with 100 million + gun owners, the 4.3 million members of the NRA is dismal. That's because the standing membership is failing to educate the non-NRA public and allowing the antis to define NRA membership as being "extremeist."

Beware of Moles

Article from GUNSMAGAZINE.COM

January 2006

Beware of Moles

David Codrea

All of us who profess to believe in the Second Amendment have a duty to help protect it. That help can come in many ways — from contacting lawmakers about pending legislation, to correcting media misstatements through letters to the editor. It can be given by introducing people to the shooting sports and the right to keep and bear arms. And for most of us who consider ourselves involved, membership in a national gun-rights organization, offering unified purpose and strength in numbers, is a must.

But how can we find the right group to hook up with? The NRA is an obvious choice, dealing with legislation, training, safety and more. Other activists prefer Gun Owners of America, which many perceive as more “hard core.” And then there are “specialty” organizations, such as Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, which focuses solely on education, emphasizing what has happened historically when governments disarm populations.

If your primary interest is hunting, I’d like to tell you about a group I just learned about from “Digger’s Corner” on the NRA Web site: The American Hunters & Shooters Association.

They have a list of positions they advocate, including: “AHSA is committed to supporting the right to keep and bear arms, protecting our homes, and preserving our liberties,” and “Hunting and sport shooting are American values AHSA will vigorously defend.”

Sounds great, huh? But wait, there’s more. They also say “an overwhelming majority of hunters support proposals like background checks to purchase guns, keeping military style assault weapons off our streets and the elimination of cop killer bullets,” advocate that “the FBI should be given reasonable access to National Instant Check System (NICS) purchase records” and promote “legislative efforts to regulate .50 caliber BMG sniper rifles in the same manner as machine guns.”

Who are these guys — Brady Center Lite?

Their foundation president, John Rosenthal, was a founder of Stop Handgun Violence. AHSA’s Board of Directors includes BATFE careerist Joseph J. Vince and Executive Director Robert Ricker, both of whom also serve on the board of another outfit, Crime Gun Solutions.

CGS specializes in providing information to help anti-gunners sue gun makers and distributors — particularly ironic, since Ricker was once a top legal spokesman for the gun industry, who dismissed the lawsuits back then as “frivolous, the work of an opportunistic gang of legal predators.”

Per another Crime Guns Solution/ex-BATF honcho, Gerald Nunziato, “If it wasn’t for criminals, there wouldn’t be a gun industry in this country. The only people [NRA and other gun-rights groups are] protecting are criminals.”

But back to AHSA. I looked up their Web site registration and found an address in Washington, DC, belonging to an outfit called DCS, a Democrat political consulting firm, which boasts among its clients enemies of gun rights like Reps. John Conyers and Nancy Pelosi.

When it comes to picking a gun group to support, it clearly pays to do a little checking first. If you’re going to join AHSA, you might as well just cut to the chase and join the Million Mom March.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    as an aside the nra appairently not only helps safeguard our rights but is somewhat proactive in fighting the U.N. global disarmiment scheme http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6801

Exclamation NRA v UN? TODAY.... But not in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    as an aside the nra appairently not only helps safeguard our rights but is somewhat proactive in fighting the U.N. global disarmiment scheme http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6801
    Yeah they're all on board against global gun grabs NOW, but when I tried to warn them about that threat 15 years ago, they issued an official statement saying they did not believe the UN posed a threat to the 2nd Amendment. 15 years ago, I became aware of the global gun grabbers from my affiliation with the John Birch Society. Some of the very best books on the UN and the Council on Foreign Relations can be found at their website and are very reasonable in price!
    http://www.jbs.org

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links