California,ban guns?

This is a discussion on California,ban guns? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun-rights activists up in arms Berkeley lawmaker pushes local ban on handguns By Josh Richman, STAFF WRITER Article Launched: 04/08/2008 02 14 AM PDT An ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California,ban guns?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

California,ban guns?

Gun-rights activists up in arms
    Berkeley lawmaker pushes local ban on handguns
    By Josh Richman, STAFF WRITER
    Article Launched: 04/08/2008 0214 AM PDT

An East Bay lawmaker's bill to clear the way for local handgun bans has a committee hearing today, delving into issues now pending before the state and nation's highest courts.
    Assemblywoman Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, authored Assembly Bill 2566 in reaction to a state Court of Appeal ruling in January which upheld the voiding of San Francisco's Measure H of 2005, approved by voters to bar city residents from owning handguns or from making or selling firearms or ammunition in the city.

The California Supreme Court is mulling whether to review this ruling, which found state law leaves no room for cities and counties to ban handgun ownership; Hancock's bill, to be heard today by the Assembly Public Safety Committee, seeks to create that room by removing the state pre-emption entirely.

Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban is now the subject of the biggest gun-rights case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court in almost 70 years. The high court will rule by late June on whether the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to gun ownership, rather than just a collective right to guns for the common defense as part of a state militia.

Richmond activist Andres Soto said the Legal Community Against Violence a San Francisco nonprofit that helped draft the bill believes that case won't directly affect this bill because of Washington's status as a federal district, distinct from the states. Soto said he sees this as "a domestic disarmament" crucial to the

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    East Bay's gun-plagued communities.

Hancock said the bill is inspired by victims such as an Oakland boy hit by a stray bullet and paralyzed while at his piano lesson and a Richmond woman shot and killed in her doorway by a gang member.

Handguns are "weapons of mass destruction in some of our inner cities," she said, and local governments need this tool at their disposal to quell the violence.

"Many times when enough individual local governments take an action, state action follows and federal action follows," Hancock said. "It's the people on the ground experiencing the problem every day that tend to be innovative and want to push the envelope, and I've seen the communities I represent staggering under the burden of gun violence for too long."

Gun-rights activists disagree.

"Aside from the fact that, obviously, disarming civilians and depriving them of the most effective tool there is for self-defense or defending their families, its not a good policy decision," said California Rifle and Pistol Association attorney Chuck Michel of Long Beach.

"The law is confusing enough as it is right now," he said, with the California Law Revision Commission already studying the need to simplify and reorganize Penal Code sections dealing with deadly weapons; that panel's report is due by July 2009.

"The reason they passed pre-emption in the first place was so people wouldn't have to worry about violating a different set of laws every time they drove across a city line," Michel said. "Uniformity is very important."

Soto said that's "a red herring," as this bill wouldn't affect existing state laws on handgun transportation but rather would let cities bar residents from owning handguns.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's office said Monday he has not yet taken a position on this bill.

2. Remove Ads

It's hard to imagine The Terminator endorsing the banning of guns...but, what the heck...I say ban 'em all...BG's first.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It's hard to imagine The Terminator endorsing the banning of guns...but, what the heck...I say ban 'em all...BG's first.
    Well we all thought he would veto the lead bullet ban and micro-stamping but the idiot signed both. Glad I never voted for that turncoat.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    San Francisco needs to be its own country anyway....

VIP Member
    Never forget who Arnie is married to, one of the notorious Kennedy klan, and we know their view on firearms ownership by peons.

I can 'clearly' () understand CA's need to ban ALL handguns...it's the only way they will be able to clean up all of their gang problems...

Idiots...

Stay armed...stay out of CA...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Would you expect anything else from that Stalinist state? We should fence the whole CA border off and give it back to Mexico.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    The Terminator is anti-gun.
    Arnold is on record as being an anti.
    He only likes guns when they put huge dollars into his personal pocket in movies.
    His real life persona is that he is no different than a Brady.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Maybe if the supreme court overturns DC's gun ban CA will secede from the union! Thats way they can make all the stupid laws they want. Sorry, I forgot they already do that!
    Last edited by archer51; April 13th, 2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I know they produce such and such percentage of the country's produce (illegal immigrants are mighty productive when you threaten to turn them over to Immigration), but I really hope it breaks off and floats away someday. Legislation like this is just one example of why.

Is there anyone that knows if the bit about "believes that case (heller vs dc) won't directly affect this bill because of Washington's status as a federal district" is true?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

It's amazing what you realize you didn't see while living there that becomes apparent once leaving there. (3yr escapee, here.) Nice weather, a collection of friends I wouldn't exchange for the world, but a stellar collection of mommy-may-I (aka nanny state) laws, allowance for incessant and insane litigation that has little to justify it, taxation and regulation sufficient to cause a nosebleed, some of the worst pollution in the country, an education system in tatters that was once the envy of the nation, and housing priced befitting a far wealthier citizenry. From heyday to "hay" day in one generation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

oh my good ******* lord, I've been away from the forums and political news for a while, (new job where they frown on interweb surfing and dealing with a dieing father in law) so for the last 6 months my news has been limited, but this is increadably disturbing
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I have a novel idea:

Lets ban LIBERALISM. period. Liberalism is the root cause of all inner city woes, Liberalism is what caused the hopeless, failed "welfare state" mentality that rules our large inner cities. My opinion to Loni Hancock is to try this:

Switch parties and behave like a republican. this would mean:

• sponsor and pass legislation that will bring prayer back into schools.
    • Along with prayer come school uniforms and corporal punishment.
    • Police are free to crack down on gangs big time. They are then convicted and sent to prison for a very long time, no parole. Period
    • No plea bargains or negotiated sentences for criminals. Period.
    • Homosexuals and "alternative lifestyle" sympathizers are run out of town. When they complain about this, explain to them that this city belongs to law-abiding FAMILY oriented people. there is no place here for Adam and Steve.

This will fix the problem....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I have a novel idea:

Lets ban LIBERALISM. period. Liberalism is the root cause of all inner city woes, Liberalism is what caused the hopeless, failed "welfare state" mentality that rules our large inner cities. My opinion to Loni Hancock is to try this:

Switch parties and behave like a republican. this would mean:

• sponsor and pass legislation that will bring prayer back into schools.
    • Along with prayer come school uniforms and corporal punishment.
    • Police are free to crack down on gangs big time. They are then convicted and sent to prison for a very long time, no parole. Period
    • No plea bargains or negotiated sentences for criminals. Period.
    • Homosexuals and "alternative lifestyle" sympathizers are run out of town. When they complain about this, explain to them that this city belongs to law-abiding FAMILY oriented people. there is no place here for Adam and Steve.

This will fix the problem....
    Actually, this sort of thinking brings with it other problems just as disturbing as the ones we are already dealing with.

It's not that the proposed changes are bad. It's the thinking that the proposed changes are and should be mandatory. Or else get run out of town (or lynched).

A toltarian state is a toltarian state no matter which set of rules is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    A toltarian state is a toltarian state no matter which set of rules is in place.
    Yeah, but since we are going to end up with a totalitarian state anyway, wouldn't it be better if it was our rules?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links