Man faces judge for illegal bullets - Page 2

Man faces judge for illegal bullets

This is a discussion on Man faces judge for illegal bullets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not quite. There must be a showing of cause for the initial, temporary order. Then, there is a hearing before a judge where you are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    Not quite.

There must be a showing of cause for the initial, temporary order. Then, there is a hearing before a judge where you are present, and the petitioner must prove that you are a threat to them which justifies the order.

Allegedly, there are penalties for filing a false petition. I say allegedly because my wife and I endured months of nonsense over protective order petitions from my stepson's ex-girlfriend, and when it was proven that she lied on the applications, the SAO in Maryland lacked the guts to do anything about it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks, I've never had any dealings with one. So a judge already deemed this guy a threat.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    Just a guess on my part but, reading between the lines it seems like this guy maybe had some abuse and tendancy toward violence issues and they were just looking for some way to disarm him.
    I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing but, just my gut feeling that there might be more to this story that has not been disclosed.

But, hey he consented to a search and it bit him. His fault for not being too smart.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    weird.what do they call this round? example-
    the black talon was banned and called " an inhumane round".
    can you explain a humane round?
    A humane round is one that slices through flesh with 'tender loving care'.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Many people have provided the advice to never consent to a search. I was just curious as to the reason. Is to hide or dispose of incriminating evidence as the warrant is obtained? Is it, as one poster said, to make their job even harder than it already is? Is there a hope that the LEO will simply forget the whole thing?

I think many people have misinterpreted the right to be protected from UNREASONABLE searches. Clearly, we do not have sufficient facts to determine whether this particular search was reasonable or not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Many people have provided the advice to never consent to a search. I was just curious as to the reason. Is to hide or dispose of incriminating evidence as the warrant is obtained? Is it, as one poster said, to make their job even harder than it already is? Is there a hope that the LEO will simply forget the whole thing?

I think many people have misinterpreted the right to be protected from UNREASONABLE searches. Clearly, we do not have sufficient facts to determine whether this particular search was reasonable or not.
    To get a warrent for a search they need probable cause. Why hand them a free ticket for a fishing expedition? If you consent to a search they can search for whatever they like. If they have a warrent, they are limited to the scope of that warrent. At least that is my understanding.

SD,

My reading is that they found 'exploding bullets' on him. So, I doubt they would have had much problem getting a warrant.

However, if I am stopped for a suspected traffic violation, I am NOT giving consent to search. I don't smoke, drink, shoot or ingest anything illegal (well, maybe some transfat in them Oreos), but I have a God-given right to be safe from illegal search.

Just my take on it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Hey...nobody could be more Pro-LEO than I am but, I would not consent to a search of my home without a search warrant.
    If the Police have a justifiable reason to search my home then they can easily go get a warrant from a judge & then search until they turn blue.

I have no way of knowing if the officer that searches my house is still going to be a Police Officer 6 months down the road.

My home is my private castle. I'm not making the contents of my house public to any unknown individuals just because they want to look inside.

I just put the shoe on the other foot.

I am a law abiding American citizen with no criminal history and if I walk up to any cops front door and introduce myself (even show him my Drivers License) & then tell him (or her) that I would like to come in and search around in his house
    - Do you think he would let me in?

I seriously doubt that I would hear:
    ..."Sure...Come on in. Look in my closets & my drawers and dump the sugar out of my sugar bowl. Pull my mattress off my bed.
    Don't forget to look in my Wife's Jewelry box.
    I don't know what you're looking for but, you seem like a really nice, honest, person - so...No Problem!
    Stay a few hours and tear my home apart."

Sorry...go get a piece of legal paper if you want to search my home.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

please tell me more about these "exploding bullets" I would be very interested to know what the reporter in this article believes exploding bullets are? Like something frangible designed to disintegrate or incendiary with explosive in it? Either way having a cwl has nothing to do with him breaking other laws. Thats like someone robbing a bank and then pointing out that while running from the cops they did have a drivers license.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I am not sure about everywhere else, but where I live, I-20 is a major drug smuggling corridor. Every time you get stopped they ask for consent to search. If you give consent, you will be sitting on the side of the interstate for at least an hour while they totally trash your vehicle. When they are finished, they leave everything messed up. I understand they have a tough job, but that is unreasonable. As far as the guy in OP, I don't understand why they would even ask for consent to search his home for running a stop sign.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    1. He should not have allowed a search of his home without a search warrant.
    2. I bet it was not an AK47, but a semi auto clone, thus, not an AK47.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    My reading is that they found 'exploding bullets' on him. So, I doubt they would have had much problem getting a warrant.
    I didn't read that, I thought it said that they found a box of .45 explosive rounds after searching his home.

There was the injunction for domestic abuse and he was carrying a gun. I think that's a no-no there, and they might have been able to get a warrant for that.

Plus he was close to his house anyways. He might have pulled into his driveway with the officer right behind him.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    please tell me more about these "exploding bullets" I would be very interested to know what the reporter in this article believes exploding bullets are? Like something frangible designed to disintegrate or incendiary with explosive in it?
    Incendiary Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Apparently, illegal in Florida.

I've used exploding ammo to get rid of geese on the flight line and scare birds from roosts. The best ones I had were 40 MM and I shot them through a Very Pistol or an M-204 under my military M-16. The had about the sound of 1/2 stick of Dynamite and were actually were quite fun. We often used them during field training with the M-203 and I could walk them into the friendly's camp and have them going off about 10' off the ground. About the same as shooting M-80s in a wristrocket except a little more boom to it. After I retired from the air force I quite using them when I had to start paying for them myself. I'm still authorized as I have aside from the regular pest control licenses I'm also qualified with "Bird & Preditory animal control" on my license. That way I can clam some of my guns and ammo as business expense. Every so often I get a customer to pay me to kill a few coyotes or prairie dogs and that keeps the IRS happy.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Why would you be willing to forfiet your rights to due process because a nice police officer asks you politely to search your vehicle. Is your time not as valuable to you as it is to the officer? Should you have to be detained and have your time wasted because a nice police officer wants to rifle through your belongings? Remember he isn't doing it to ensure your safety at that point he is looking for ways to throw your butt in jail. Regardless of whether you have done anything wrong or not...why waste your time and have your privacy infringed upon because of the gut feeling of some officer?

You have rights...don't forfiet them because you want to be a nice guy.

As for the original topic...you can rest assured there is more to this story than what has been reported. Most officers are professional and will build a solid case that can be prosecuted. The news is always slow to report the parts that aren't as sensational.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links