Man faces judge for illegal bullets

This is a discussion on Man faces judge for illegal bullets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by morintp I didn't read that, I thought it said that they found a box of .45 explosive rounds after searching his home. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man faces judge for illegal bullets

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I didn't read that, I thought it said that they found a box of .45 explosive rounds after searching his home.

There was the injunction for domestic abuse and he was carrying a gun. I think that's a no-no there, and they might have been able to get a warrant for that.

Plus he was close to his house anyways. He might have pulled into his driveway with the officer right behind him.
    I just went back and re-read the article. The way it was worded, I assumed they found the bullets on him, then arrested him, found the domestic violence order, then asked for permission to search where they found more exploding bullets. Now, I am not sure if it happened that way. I may have read more into the way it was worded.

My bad.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    So can anyone have a restraining order put on anyone for any reason?
    I was under the impression that (around here) for $75.00 you can get a restraining order for someone without any police investigation.
    If someone puts a restraining order against you, you lose your permit?
    Yup, around here anyone calls the PD and claims to be "scared" of a current/former SO or anyone who lived with that person at any prior time and a judge issues an RO. Judges are on call 24x7. Within 10 days there is a hearing, but when the police serve the RO, the person is required to give up all guns/ammo/permits/keys/etc. and if they are at the residence they only get the clothes on their back as the door hits them in the butt. NO discretion allowed to the police on this either, it's all mandatory with heavy jail sentences for any violations (regardless of the validity of the claim for the RO).

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I don't believe there is an automated process whereby one's CCW is revoked on the spot upon issuance of a domestic injunction. There should be a process in place, but I haven't read where any states have that provision.
    See my comments above. Yes, the process here is automated, you are revoked instantly. Most chiefs will not re-issue even if the RO is later denied by the judge. And your guns are given by the PDs to bonded warehouses where you will have to pay thousands to get any of them back, if you are lucky enough to get your permit back (permit is required for mere possession here).

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    please tell me more about these "exploding bullets" I would be very interested to know what the reporter in this article believes exploding bullets are? Like something frangible designed to disintegrate or incendiary with explosive in it? Either way having a cwl has nothing to do with him breaking other laws. Thats like someone robbing a bank and then pointing out that while running from the cops they did have a drivers license.
    I don't know specifically what this guy had, but John Hinkley used "Devestators" when he shot Reagan and co. They were hollow point bullets with an explosive compound (lead azide I think) in the cavity. The impact of the round was supposed to detonate the compound. I think the rounds that hit Brady and McCarthy actually did work as advertised. I don't know how reliable they were in other calibers but Hinkley's .22 they were less than 50%
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    please tell me more about these "exploding bullets" I would be very interested to know what the reporter in this article believes exploding bullets are? Like something frangible designed to disintegrate or incendiary with explosive in it?
    Since the bullets were discovered in a search,my guess would be 1) he had a box of them, with labelling, or 2) he used the more common (and generally 100%) formula of placing a large rifle primer face down in a large hollow-point. Hydrashoks work best, because of their center post. Easily recognized because of the bright silver filling in the HP. Either way, the guy was a moron... apparently a fairly dangerous one, at that.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Rule number one when being questioned by the Police: SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have sat in on alot of domestic violence hearings in NJ. If your SO claims you abused her or him and is granted a temporary restraining order(TRO), any weapons that the SO knows about and tells the court about, are subject to be confiscated based on the restraining order. The TRO gives authorization for the LEO'S serving the order to search the defendant's house, car, etc, for the weapons listed by the plaintiff.
    Final hearings are supposed to occur within 10 days of the temporary hearing. If the FRO(final restraining order) is denied, the weapons are to be returned but I dont know of any guidelines as far a timeline goes. Just my experience. YMMV.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

If you think that giving an LEO permission to search is gonna make them forget about anything illegal they may find,you are living in a fantasy world,most leo's don't have enough PC to search so they bait you with,if you got nothing to hide then why won't you let us search type attitude,and i say if you got PC then you don't need my consent and you can get a warrant.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    How 'bout not running through stop signs? Seems he could have saved himself some trouble by obeying basic traffic laws.

Yep, lots of folks get stopped doing pissant little things and that is what results in them either being identified as a wanted criminal or ending up disclosing something illegal...resulting in arrest.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links