Man faces judge for illegal bullets

This is a discussion on Man faces judge for illegal bullets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man faces judge May 16 for illegal bullets | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY Man faces judge May 16 for illegal bullets BY J.D. GALLOP • ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man faces judge for illegal bullets

Thumbs down Man faces judge for illegal bullets

Man faces judge May 16 for illegal bullets | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

Man faces judge May 16 for illegal bullets

BY J.D. GALLOP • FLORIDA TODAY • April 13, 2008

PALM BAY — A 36-year-old man stopped by police for running a stop sign now faces a May 16 court date after a voluntary search of his home led to the discovery of several illegal exploding bullet rounds, officials said.

Darren Bernard Lowery was charged with violation of a protective order for domestic violence and possession of exploding bullets after he traffic stop by Palm Bay police, reports show.

Exploding bullets, which detonate on impact, are banned in Florida.

Police said Lowery was arrested after he was spotted going through a stop sign near his home on April 1.

Lowery, who had a concealed license permit, told the officer he had a .45-caliber handgun in his waistband.

Officers also learned that Lowery had a domestic violence injunction issued against him by a Miami judge. Lowery said he had several other weapons at home, including an AK-47 and a number of smaller handguns, reports show.

Officers searched Lowery’s home with his consent and found a number of weapons along with a box of .45-caliber exploding bullets, reports show. The bullets were seized and Lowery was taken to the Brevard County Jail Complex in Sharpes.
    HAD a concealed weapons license is the key word.

This is going to help -- NOT!!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Why would you agree to a search? Stupid ! It will take a warrant to search anything of mine(period)
    At least then you have a fighting chance to get whatever suppressed !
    Why would you tell them what you had at home? Stupid!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I don't believe there is an automated process whereby one's CCW is revoked on the spot upon issuance of a domestic injunction. There should be a process in place, but I haven't read where any states have that provision.

This guy is an idiot and deserves time and a lot more. People like this give us honest, LEGAL people a bad image. Yes, he should have demanded a warrant for his home, buthe had the ammo on his person and it was discovered during the traffic stop. That in itself is enough to jail him.
    Last edited by sniper58; April 13th, 2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: addition
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

weird.what do they call this round? example-
    the black talon was banned and called " an inhumane round".
    can you explain a humane round?
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

after a voluntary search of his home led to the discovery of several illegal exploding bullet rounds, officials said.

They had nothing on him until he let them search his house!!
    I'm not saying you should have anything illegal but, if you do don't give them permission to go find it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Officers are taught (and learn) to be sneaky about getting consent to search. Never give consent to search anything...officers will ask to search and that is there way of bypassing the need to get a warrant. Make them work if they think there is something wrong.

VIP Member
    I have to agree, this guy was an idiot. "Sure officer, come on over and go through my house. Oh, by the way, don't look under the bed!"
    Not so worried about the domestic violence protective order. Article doesn't say when it was issued, or if he had been served with it.
    Not sure what constitutes an exploding bullet.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I didn't know those were illegal. They have them on ammunitiontogo.com, I almost bought some.

There must be more to this story; I cannot believe that a simple traffic stop for running a stop sign could possibly lead to a "voluntary house search". yes the guy was really stupid for allowing that, and he will probably pay a steep price for it.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

This is why you NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER NEVER consent to any search of anything. ALWAYS require a warrant.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have to agree, this guy was an idiot. "Sure officer, come on over and go through my house. Oh, by the way, don't look under the bed!"
    Not so worried about the domestic violence protective order. Article doesn't say when it was issued, or if he had been served with it.
    Not sure what constitutes an exploding bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Statutes 790.31
    (b) "Exploding bullet" means any bullet that can be fired from any firearm, if such bullet is designed or altered so as to detonate or forcibly break up through the use of an explosive or deflagrant contained wholly or partially within or attached to such bullet. The term does not include any bullet designed to expand or break up through the mechanical forces of impact alone or any signaling device or pest control device not designed to impact on any target.
    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I don't believe there is an automated process whereby one's CCW is revoked on the spot upon issuance of a domestic injunction. There should be a process in place, but I haven't read where any states have that provision.
    As soon as the restraining order was served, he became ineligible under Florida law to have a CWFL.

The moment you become ineligible, your CWFL is null and void.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

VIP Member
    Matt, thanks for the definition.

Senior Moderator
    No problem.

Matt

So can anyone have a restraining order put on anyone for any reason?
    I was under the impression that (around here) for $75.00 you can get a restraining order for someone without any police investigation.
    If someone puts a restraining order against you, you lose your permit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links