Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged)

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a NYer I may not agree with Mayor Bloomberg on everything. I beleive he is looking to stop the shell sales of firearms from ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged)

As a NYer I may not agree with Mayor Bloomberg on everything. I beleive he is looking to stop the shell sales of firearms from other states entering NY. I believe the Mayor has a full carry permit issued before he was mayor and not looking to disarm the legal firearm owner. A 300.00 pistol down south can easily be sold for 1500-2000 here in NY. I see nothing wrong with stopping illegal guns from falling into the wrong hands.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    As a NYer I may not agree with Mayor Bloomberg on everything. I beleive he is looking to stop the shell sales of firearms from other states entering NY. I believe the Mayor has a full carry permit issued before he was mayor and not looking to disarm the legal firearm owner. A 300.00 pistol down south can easily be sold for 1500-2000 here in NY. I see nothing wrong with stopping illegal guns from falling into the wrong hands.
    NYC is not shall issue the average citizen can't even get a carry permit. A premise permit is possible but still takes 6 months to process at a cost of $340.00 + prints.

Jang,

I thought a person had to be convicted in a court of law to be guilty of a crime. If an illegal transfer of a weapon is committed, then the person(s) involved would need to be arrested, tried, and convicted of said offense. At that time, BATFE would know about it and said person(s) could not purchase another weapon legally. I don't see why Walmart or any other gun dealer needs to usurp the role of the BATFE in this matter. They are not a legal authority and may or may not maintain accurate information. Now, on the other hand, if the in-store gun sale appears "fishy", then the dealers have the right of refusal to sell the weapon. However, that is a different matter from what is being discussed here. I just see too many problems for potential abuse with the type of information Walmart is maintaining. And their clerks are not educated enough to be put in such a position. I think Walmart should just get out of the gun business, since the only ones I know that even sell guns have only a limited selection of rifles and shotguns (no handguns at all.) This would eliminate the need for them to play BATFE agent altogether.

By the way, Bloomberg is a liberal idiot, and Walmart supports Communist China, sweatshops, and child abuse. Didn't used to be that way when ole Sam was in charge.

Hey, if I buy a baseball bat and lose it, and it is later used in a crime, and the police find out from the perp that he got it from me, should I not be allowed to buy any more baseball bats? I think Bloomberg is just trying another political trick in his anti-gun bag of tricks.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

I bought my Mav 88 HD from Wal Mart and the lady behind the counter was a former LEO and complete gun nut. While doing the paper work she was handing my 4 year old daughter little .22 rifles and trying to pump her up on guns!! It was neat. As far as ammo goes here (so far) they just check your ID if you dont look old enough to by "handgun" ammo. All of the clerks here appear to be real gun people, too bad it appears to be on the verge of destruction.
    To complicate matters a bit for me, my wife is a pharmacist/mgr for Wal Mart (has been for over 12 yrs) so I can buy guns and ammo for 10% off
    Sam Walton would be absolutely disgusted with what his greedy kids have done to this company in the last 5-6 years

Dhrby,

Read the whole of the read inclusive of my most recent posts and dialog with LenS in specific.
    The conclusion I came to with the aid of LenS answers your question.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm. I might have to go buy a firearm from Wal-Mart.

Creating or maintaining their proposed registry would be a felony under F.S. 790.335, with the attendant criminal and civil remedies....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Creating or maintaining their proposed registry would be a felony under F.S. 790.335, with the attendant criminal and civil remedies....

Matt
    Mattt, you devious entity you.

I just emailed WallyWorld Corporate:

I read on the news and certain websites that WalMart has entered into an agreement with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg regarding the sale of firearms and specifically to keep certain records. As a WalMart patron and gun owner I am somewhat dismayed that your company is willing to be associated with a person so against the Bill of Rights but that is your right as it would be our right to shop somewhere else. But the point I wanted to bring to your attention is if WalMart is planning on violating Florida Statutes and specifically 790.335 that prohibit the registration of firearms. Allow me to quote directly from the Statutes:

"No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms."

If possible I and many other law abiding owners and WalMart Shoppers would like an official statement from the Corporate Office as soon as you could possibly have it.
    Yours.
    Miggy
    Miami, FL
    Contact Walmart Corporate
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Here's some feedback I just sent to Walmart's corporate office...

"In regards to your new involvement with the "Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership" broked by Mr. Bloomberg of NY, I would like to suggest some other changes. Your Compliance Officer, Mr. Suarez, should also look into using the same software and background check information for ANY employee and/or customer who decides to buy any of the following items: Kitchen knives, baseball bats, any form of rope or twine, heavy boots or shoes, any hazardous cleaning chemical, matches and/or lighters, plastic bags, tire irons, pillows, candles, bicycles, hairdryers, pantyhose,... In fact, maybe the company should require these types of safety precautions for almost EVERYTHING that it sells to consumers. If in fact Walmart is serious in it's being responsible for the use or misuse of it's products AFTER they have left the store and there possible use or misuse by individuals, then Walmart should lead the way in securing the images of every customer that purchases any type of "possibly dangerous" product.

On second thought, I have a much better idea. Instead of spending all this money on this extravagant "Feel-Good" scheme, why doesn't Walmart instead make a donation to their local Police Department in order to be "responsible" for it's own communitty? I'm sure putting the money that would have been spent on this ridiculous idea would be much more useful and appreciatted by the men and women who typically have to do "more" with "less" every budget season. If Walmart really wants to act responsible, there are MUCH better ways to go about it than this useless commitment.

Think outside of the box here... don't get caught with your head stuck INSIDE it!"

Best I could do on tired notice...
    You might also add, back-ground checks of employees to ensure they're not hiring illegals..........................
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

We recently had a thread where I was very surprised to see so many WalMart supporters (I stayed out of it because it fires me up).

This is exactly why WalMart is a BAD idea, and why I avoid shopping there.

Once most people have WM as their only option then the executive jerks could care less about customer retention.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    You might also add, back-ground checks of employees to ensure they're not hiring illegals..........................

Although I recall seeing a sign at WM stating that they tested applicants for drugs, I guess that I never fully understood what they were looking for in an employee until one day I approached the store and saw my convicted felon neighbor taking a cigarette break and wearing a WM employee badge!

She was convicted of dealing cocaine and served a whopping 6 months house-arrest sentence. Meanwhile WM hired her as a cashier!!!

I know that she didn't start work there until after her arrest, but not sure if it was before/after she was convicted.

So perhaps they only hire druggies and that is what they are testing for??

I doubt that they care if they hire illegals, as long as they will work for cheap.

VIP Member
    They "answered" back:

Thank you for your message.

Dear M.,

Wal-Mart understands its role as a leading, responsible retailer in the
    U.S. and is making strides to strengthen its already existing security
    processes to help combat illegal gun activity in the communities we serve.
    Wal-Mart has a long and proud history of offering the products hunters and
    outdoorsmen want and need and that will not change.

It is important to note that these procedures should not impede
    law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms at our stores that sell
    them. These processes merely provide us, as a retailer, an additional
    mechanism to assist law enforcement when illegal activity occurs.

We are hopeful these enhanced processes with help from law enforcement
    and other retailers committing to do the same can make a positive
    difference in our communities.

Thank you,
    Wal-Mart Customer Relations
    Amazing piece of beating around the bush IMHO.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    Matt, you hit it right in the head. We should start a movement (for lack of a better word at the moment) and once Wal-Mart institutes this registration thing, to go and buy a gun and then wave at them a copy of F.S. 790.335 while calling FDLE on the phone to report the violation. Let's see how long the scheme lasts when Wal-Mart associates are being hauled to jail for complying with the Bloomberg folly.

PS: Done... added to my Blog
    Sam Walton must be ready to come out of his grave
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    They "answered" back:

Amazing piece of beating around the bush IMHO.
    I got the same canned response.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    My feedback to Wal-Mart:

I cannot for the life of me understand why your corporation has "gotten into bed" with Mayor Michael Bloomberg on the issue of firearms sales. Are there so many Wal-Mart customers in New York City that you are responding to their demands for this video record? Do your corporate leaders have a conceit that Mr. Bloomberg shops at Wal-Mart? What you have done is alienate a goodly number of people in the remainder of the country who have, heretofore, shopped in your stores. Which high-level corporate genius decided this was a good idea?

As for me, I shall find alternative merchandisers from which to purchase products. To date, my family and I have probably shopped two to three times per week at Wal-Mart. That business is now lost to your corporation, but rest easy...I'm certain Mr. Bloomberg, "Mayor to the country at large," (in his mind, at least, and apparently yours as well) will be shopping with you to make up your losses.

P.S. If this is read by a real human being, please spare me the canned corporate response about “being a responsible corporation in its marketing of products,” or whatever screed you have been sending to those who are protesting your new policy. Such a response is a waste of electrons.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    New York City doesn't even have a Wal-Mart. What the heck are they doing.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links