Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged)

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on tighter standards for gun sales. Wal-Mart is the nation's largest seller of firearms ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged)

Exclamation Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (Merged)

Wal-Mart is striking a deal with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on tighter standards for gun sales.

Wal-Mart is the nation's largest seller of firearms and Bloomberg is an outspoken gun control advocate.

Bloomberg is announcing the initiative Monday as he meets with Mayors Against Illegal Guns. He founded that group to try to crack down on the unlawful traffic in weapons that are often used in crimes.

Under the group's Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will agree to keep certain records.

Mayoral spokesman Jason Post says that if a gun buyer is linked to a crime, the company will be aware of it the next time that person tries to buy a gun.

Wal-Mart also will also conduct background checks on employees who handle guns.

Wal-Mart
    702 SW 8th St.
    Bentonville, AR 72716

Phone: (479) 273-4000
    Fax: (479) 277-1830

2008 Sales (mil.) $378,799.0
    2007 Employees 1,900,000

LINK

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok i called (1-800-925-6278) and after jumping thro a few hoops via the press 1 stuff got a live person . I advised the drone LOL that as of monday i would no longer do buisness with wall mart or sams club due to the issue . The drone advised how sorry they were " about my opinion and the loss of business " and i went off that they had no business apologizing for my opinion , all the business they needed to worry about is the loss of business from me and like minded folks they will have due to " keeping records ( which are un specified and he could not explain ) for bloomburg . The conversation closed with my assurance that i have been a loyal wallyworld customer to the tune of 10 k or so a year for years , and will again when i see a press release stating that they will not keep any records that are not federally required on firearms , and will share same records with nobody .

I suggest each of us call , but when you do remember you are " venting " at the corperation not the poor sap that answers the phone . Be polite , be firm , and screw wallmart .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I haven't seen a Walmart that sold firearms in a long time, so that's not a big loss to me...On the other hand, if they ever try to enter my name into a database for purchasing ammo, that will be the last time I enter Walmart...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I haven't seen a Walmart that sold firearms in a long time, so that's not a big loss to me...On the other hand, if they ever try to enter my name into a database for purchasing ammo, that will be the last time I enter Walmart...
    "When the Nazis arrested the Communists,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a Communist.
    When they locked up the Social Democrats,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a Social Democrat.
    When they arrested the trade unionists,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a trade unionist.
    When they arrested me, there was no longer anyone who could protest."

Martin Niemöller (1892—1984), Protestant pastor and social activist

mrreynolds well said sir .. my local wally world dont sell weapons now either . However anyone who supports bloomburg and the ilk is no friend to me . I can buy everything at wall mart , mostly in the same town for a bit more .. and if not i guess ill drive a bit . Heck momma and i ( with about 30 yrs of marrage ) can make a day trip to go 150 to 170 mile to get tile or other house materials . We will just add the normal wallyworld things that we cannot find here to the list .. the biggest adjustment will be to the critters on changing food since we got both cat and dog food there . Ahh well when they get skinny they will like the new stuff too lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Yeah, but I don't see how it's the same because I don't buy firearms at Walmart.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Is this limited to firearms sales or will it cover ammunition, too? Anyone know?

I want to call but I want all my facts straight before I do that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Hmmm...I wonder how they'll be able to do that in FL, based on the following statute:

790.335 Prohibition of registration of firearms.

-JT

Am I missing some thing. Don't the background checks that are done when you buy a gun, show if you a criminal that can't buy a gun?
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Yeah, but I don't see how it's the same because I don't buy firearms at Walmart.
    Well IMHO it's the same principal people apply when they say well why doesn't the NRA just go one way in support of less gun restrictions period. Because of you...lol. No surrender no retreat!

because I don't buy firearms at Walmart.
    I have only bought one at wallyworld , before the turn of the century i bought my son an 870 there . SWMBO found an express there on sale and the rest is history . since then i have run 3 or 4 hundred guns trading ( you are not reading that wrong ) and not a one has been bought by ME at wallmart . None the less in my mind it is not about where i buy guns , it is about who i do business with . wall mart offers ( or used to ) some nice package hunter deals whereby one would get an entirely serviceable firearm bundled with say a scope , bag , decoys , or whatever . at a price that in other places would not buy the gun alone . I dont have a problem with that as my local gun dealer does fine for himself by stocking the guns wallyworld dont , and with cheap xfers . For myself its a stand ... I dont own a single S&W with a lock tho i have some older smith revolvers and autos . I dont forsee me getting a smith with a lock even for trade ... not that i think the lock is that bad , but because smith sold out on the issue . IMHO wall mart sold out , and i for one dont need their guns , their ammo , their grocerys , or any other crap they sell unless and untill they resend any record keeping on me as a customer that would benifit bloomburg or any other outside interest .

Wait...I'm confused.
    How is this different than any other FFL or dealer as perm long ago norms?

When I go to XYZ Gun shop, Smith & Wesson, Dick's or if they still sold firearms around here WalMart they all take my info, run a Federaly required NICS check following my fillingout of applicable forms...which they all store and database be it on paper kept in a file cabinet or scanned into electronic form for long term archival or my info carried over directly into a database as an adjunct to the hard copy I signed. Big woop this has been the case for years now (!).

Further when a crime goes down and a gun is found to be on or associated to it the local and/or federal police do run the serial number to check against who the owner might be on record. This too is normal and has been on going for years now.

Lastly so what about WalMart in specific.
    It's no secret they have been progressively and in some areas like the NE aggressively phasing out sale of firearms as well as ammunition from their stores. What do I care?
    As to tracking ammo purchases they already have been. Use a credit card to pay for your ammo and guess what, their database knows who you are and what caliber you bought as well as what quantity...and when.
    In my state in specific a license is required to purchase or possesses ammunition. When I walk into to WalMart to buy ammo they ask for said license, enter in the ID number of said license to their _computer database terminal_ masquerading as a 'cash register' and they ask what purpose it is for 'handgun' or 'rifle' (I usually to jack with them and say "carbine" :) ), they hit some more buttons and with that take my money which in my case is most often in the form of plastic.

I'm not concerned about this nor do I see this announcement as being anything more than what life has been to date as it is, has been, and will continue to be.
    Further I have no problem with the police being able to back track purchase/transfer records against a firearms serial number to locate it's buyer and possibly track it back to the criminal. That is a good thing in my world, even if it's a Bloomberg grandstand moment.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

WalMart gets in bed with Bloomy

Wal-Mart toughens gun policies - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart, the nation's largest seller of firearms, announced Monday it will toughen rules for gun sales, from storing video of purchases to creating an internal log of which guns they sell that are later used in crimes.
    ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Suarez, the chief compliance officer for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., appeared with outspoken gun control advocate Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York to announce the changes at a gathering of Bloomberg's group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Changes to come at about 1,100 Wal-Mart stores selling guns include:

_Creating a record and alert system to record when a gun sold at Wal-Mart is later used in a crime. If the purchaser of that gun later tries to buy another gun at Wal-Mart, the system would alert the sales clerk of the prior buy and could refuse to make the sale.

_Retaining the recorded images of gun sales in case law enforcement wants to view them later as part of an investigation.

_Expanding background checks of employees who handle guns and expanding inventory controls.

Suarez said the tougher standards will come with some additional cost to the company.

"The costs are we think part of what it takes to be responsible. Everything is not pain free," he said, adding that small sellers can implement many of the same rules. He did not say how long it would take to implement all the changes, but noted that software must still be created for an internal log of guns later used in crimes.

Suarez said his company may receive some pressure from gun rights groups, but added, "This is not a signal that we're getting out of firearms."

Bloomberg urged other companies to join Wal-Mart in the initiative called the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership.

"We didn't pressure them, they're doing it because they think it's the responsible thing to do," said Bloomberg.

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, had previously tried to establish a store in New York City but failed.

The mayors' gun summit also unveiled a new lobbying effort to close what they call the "gun show loophole" that allows people to purchase guns without background checks at gun shows.

Bloomberg founded the group two years ago with Boston mayor Thomas Menino to reduce the flow of guns from store displays into the hands of criminals.

The group, largely funded by Bloomberg's personal fortune, announced it was spending more than $100,000 on television ads starting Wednesday featuring all three of the current main presidential candidates voicing their opposition to the gun show loophole.

The ads will run in the home states of the three presidential candidates — John McCain of Arizona, Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois. It also will air across Pennsylvania, which holds its primary next week, as well as Florida, Maryland and Massachusetts.

The mayors group is trying to gather support in Congress to:

_End the gun show loophole.

_Require gun dealers to perform criminal background checks on all gun-handling employees.

_Close a so-called fire-sale loophole that allows gun dealers whose licenses have been revoked by the government to sell off their inventory without background checks.

_Add those placed on the terrorist no-fly list to the list of people prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

___

On the Net:

Mayors Against Illegal Guns: Mayors Against Illegal Guns
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well, they just lost me as a potential gun buyer.

Thanks for posting this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Great, Wal-Mart already muscled out the local small grocer and businessman now they want to muscle out BATFE.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links