Florida: Gov. Crist Signs Guns At Work Bill

Florida: Gov. Crist Signs Guns At Work Bill

This is a discussion on Florida: Gov. Crist Signs Guns At Work Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Charlie Crist has signed a bill into law that allows Florida residents to keep guns locked in their cars at work. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida: Gov. Crist Signs Guns At Work Bill

VIP Member

Thumbs up Florida: Gov. Crist Signs Guns At Work Bill

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Charlie Crist has signed a bill into law that allows Florida residents to keep guns locked in their cars at work.

The bill says businesses cannot prohibit employees or customers from keeping a legally owned gun locked inside their cars, as long as the owner has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Guns would still be off limits at some sites: schools, prisons, nuclear power plants, military facilities and buildings that store explosives.
    Click here to find out more!

Supporters of the bill say people have a constitutional right under the Second Amendment to carry firearms and should be able to keep guns in their cars for protection. Business owners have argued they have a constitutional right to set the rules on their own property. They say they should be able to ban guns there if they choose, in order to protect employees and patrons.

The governor signed the bill Tuesday.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

This should be law everywhere.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

BAC
    Good first step. Now move it into the workplace. Now Floridians need to quit invoking federal legislation and start invoking Article 1 Section 8 of our own Constitution.

-B

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Of course, this is good as a first step, but I still disagree that this law only applies to concealed permit holders. In Florida, you dont need a permit to carry your weapon in your car anyway so why make this a necessary step in order to keep it there anywhere you go?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

I agree with Tally XD on this. No permit needed to have a gun in your car, so why a CCW needed to have it parked anywhere ??

WELL...another reason to get a permit!

Thanks to the Gov, and the NRA...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I guess when viewed from that perspective, it might actually turn out best for CCW supporters.

This will certainly make more people get a CWL just so they can have their guns at work in their car, and that in turn will greatly increase the number of CHL holders as a whole. That will stack numbers against the anti-gun community.

Oh, it will also put more money into the states pocket and they should really like that!!

Any pro-gun law is a good law!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    (sarcasm) Bbbbbut, what about the property owners rights? What if they don't want guns on their property? (/sarcasm)

It was and is law that you can have it in your vehicle, but your employer could fire you for it. Now they can't as long as you have a CWP. If you don't, just don't get caught or you could be fired *shudder*. I am so glad that this passed, now I can keep the BUG in the car, LOL;). This is a good step. Now on to letting us carry on campus. . .
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    If you want to have some fun, check out the comment section of the Sun Sentinel regarding the new law
    Florida Gov. Crist signs guns at work bill - Topix
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    This should be law everywhere.

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If you want to have some fun, check out the comment section of the Sun Sentinel regarding the new law
    Florida Gov. Crist signs guns at work bill - Topix
    Here is one I love in particular...

"Yep. My husband got a carry permit here. Didn't in NY, yet still won't carry it in Florida. I guess he is not as PARANOID has most Floridians. He still considered himself a New Yorker and has a plate to show it.

Me? Forget it. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to even BUY a gun. I did just fine in NYC with a steam iron and a window fan.

The way I see it, if I could survive nearly a half century in NY w/o a gun, I can survive a few years in Florida without one.

Although I fear the REDNECKS here, more than I fear the criminals...."
    (comments by JoJo)

Wow! All those rednecks. How many of us on this forum who are currently living in FL were born and raised in FL? (Raise your hands high so I can see them.)

Now, how many currently living in FL were born and raised somewhere else? (Lift them high, boys and girls.)

I rest my case.

Lady, Delta is ready when you are.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    The Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Association are already planning to sue to overturn the law.

I've written both to let them know that if they proceed, I will avoid doing business with their members.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lawsuit in the works

Link to one of the articles...

Starting July 1, guns at work will be OK | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

Starting July 1, guns at work will be OK

BY BETTY PARKER • FLORIDA TODAY CAPITAL BUREAU • April 16, 2008

TALLAHASSEE -- At least one lawsuit is in the works after Gov. Charlie signed into law Tuesday the controversial guns-at-work bill that allows employees to keep guns locked in their cars on company property.
    Advertisement

The Florida Retail Federation, and the Guns At Work Coalition, an umbrella group of businesses that opposed the bill, has hired well-known attorney Barry Richard and will file a lawsuit “soon, said Rick McAllister, president of the Florida Retail Federation.

With Crist’s signature, the new law is set to take effect July 1.

“We will continue to fight this legislation every step of the way,” said a statement from the Guns At Work Coalition, led by the Florida Chamber.

McAllister said his group is “disappointed that the governor chose to follow the lead of the Legislature. We believe this is a clear violation of constitutional property rights.”

The lawsuit will focus on those property rights, said McAllister, which is one reason they hired Richard with his experience in constitutional law.

Crist could have allowed the bill to become law without a signature -- a move that sometimes signals the governor is less than enthusiastic, or vetoed it. But he said when the Senate passed the bill less than a week ago that he expected to sign it. “The 2nd Amendment is very important to me,” he said then, adding that he also thought people should have the right to protect themselves.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Durell Peaden, a Crestview Republican, and Rep. Greg Evers, a Baker Republican.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 16th, 2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added info
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links