Senator Feinstein Is Opposed To Guns In Parks

This is a discussion on Senator Feinstein Is Opposed To Guns In Parks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, this is a real big surprise! Apr 30, 6:33 PM EDT Kempthorne proposal would ease ban on guns in national parks By MATTHEW DALY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1943 - 2009

Well, this is a real big surprise!

Apr 30, 6:33 PM EDT

Kempthorne proposal would ease ban on guns in national parks

By MATTHEW DALY
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne proposed new regulations Wednesday that would allow people to carry a concealed weapon in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

The new rules would allow someone to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge is located allows guns in parks, Kempthorne said.

"The safety and protection of park and refuge visitors remains a top priority for the Department of the Interior," Kempthorne said in a statement.

Park rangers, retirees and conservation groups protested the plan, saying it will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"This is purely and simply a politically driven effort to solve a problem that doesn't exist," said Bill Wade, chairman of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

There is no data to suggest that the public would be served by allowing visitors to parks to possess concealed handguns, Wade and other critics said. They cited statistics showing that national parks are among the safest places in the country. The probability of becoming a victim of a violent crime in a national park is 1 in more than 708,000 - less likely than being struck by lightning, the groups said.

"This proposed regulation increases the risk to visitors, employees and wildlife rather than reducing it," Wade said.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., called the rule change confusing.

"This change makes no sense. It would create an incoherent, ineffective and inconsistent patchwork of policies," she said, noting that in some cases, rules would be different within the same national park. For example, Death Valley National Park is in both California and Nevada. California prohibits loaded and accessible weapons in state parks, while Nevada does not, Feinstein said.

"So which state law would apply at Death Valley National Park?" she said. "This sort of inconsistency would be an open invitation to poachers, would be almost impossible to enforce and would seriously place public safety at risk."

The public has 60 days to comment on the new proposal, which was published Wednesday in the Federal Register.

---

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

How much would you bet that she doesn't visit those places without a bodyguard service? (...or her own CCW permit?)
    Two-faced, political idiot...OMO, of course!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For example, Death Valley National Park is in both California and Nevada. California prohibits loaded and accessible weapons in state parks, while Nevada does not, Feinstein said.

"So which state law would apply at Death Valley National Park?" she said.
    Neither you idiot, it is a national park. This woman just doesn't get it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Did anyone bother to remind her that individual state laws with respect to state parks have no bearing whatsoever in a NATIONAL park.

On the other hand, why bother......? She was born an idiot and has clearly been losing ground ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Neither you idiot, it is a national park. This woman just doesn't get it.
    I need to learn to type faster. You beat me to it!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am shock and amazed that she is against this........oh wait.......I'm lying again.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    There is an answer. Write your Critters. both Senate and House. Be polite.
    Only state that you believe the restriction should be lifted for the safety of park attendees.

There is another answer. It isn't easy, especially with "controversial" stuff like gun possession which has a minor partisan component. However, some of you probably actually know a Critter. Or you have access to one. Talk to him or her in a friendly manner about the issue.

I work on an entirely different issue which needs some legislative action. One day one of our other members discovered that his neighbor was running in a primary for a US House seat. A conversation followed, and if the man is elected he will likely help us out with our other cause.

Political action is not something you leave to the NRA or GOA, it is something you do individually too, by being an activist; by making contacts etc.

Her bodyguards probably carry submachine guns like Ted Kennedy's bodyguards do.

Does she even know what a park is...besides the position her cars shifter goes in?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

She is the poster child for "Mad Cow Disease".
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I though that the proposed rule changes spelled out that the the state laws would apply to whatever state that that portion of the park is in? She's right though, to avoid this confusion she needs to push national carry.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Senator Feinstein Is Opposed To Guns
    There; fixed the title for you...

Cupcake is right, though. The proposed rules would make State Park laws apply to the National Park land in that State. I thought the same thing; unless they put up designated state borders in multi-state parks, there could be some unwitting violations of firearms laws by park visitors...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Tell us something new.
    Feinstein is opposed to the populace in general being armed. Of course she should be able to carry though.
    You can't really blame her though........

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

"...open invitation to poachers.."???

Exactly what animals are poached in Death Valley? I haven't been there, but I can't imagine there are alot of species there with valuable bits on any market.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    How do we take back OUR sandbox? They won't let us play in it anymore..........Ted Kennedy should have been put away after that little car/drowning mishap. HE is the moral compass of America? Him and the Rev. Al......I think I fell asleep and went into a lonnngggg dream where the animals have taken over the zoo!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    really?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links