Ammunition Encoding Legislation Introduced in Alabama!

This is a discussion on Ammunition Encoding Legislation Introduced in Alabama! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just heard about this today and have been contacting friends with pull in the Alabama legisature. I will be contacting my state Senator on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Encoding Legislation Introduced in Alabama!

VIP Member

I just heard about this today and have been contacting friends with pull in the Alabama legisature. I will be contacting my state Senator on Monday. This is exactly what I have been fearing.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Make Your Voice Heard Today!

Senate Bill 541, introduced by State Senator Rodger Smitherman (D-18), would require all handgun ammunition manufactured or sold in Alabama to be encoded with a serial number, and entered into a statewide database at the time of sale. Encoded ammunition would be registered to the purchaser and would include the date of transaction, the purchaserís name, date of birth, driverís license number, and the serial number of the ammunition. All unserialized ammunition would have to be forfeited. Not only would this measure cause enormous increases in the cost of ammunition, but it could lead to the establishment of a database of ammunition purchaser and ultimately the cessation of the sale of ammunition in Alabama.

Even if the industry can or will produce this ammunition exclusively for Alabama, the consumers will be required to register ammunition purchases and then blindly trust that the number etched on the "base of the bullet projectile" is accurately represented on the box in which it is sold. Since the "base of the bullet projectile" is necessarily obscured by the cartridge case, it is impossible for the consumer to know if he or she has accurately "registered" their purchase.

SB541 is currently pending a third reading in the Senate Judiciary Committee. This bill poses a serious threat to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms and needs to be stopped immediately.

Please contact your State Representative and State Senator and respectfully urge them to protect the Second Amendment rights of Alabamaís law-abiding gun owners by opposing SB541. Contact information for the State Senate is (334) 242-7800 and contact information for the State House of Representatives is (334) 242-7600. To find contact information for your State Legislators click here.

NRA-ILA :: Legislation
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    "We Don't want to stop you buying ammo we JUST wan't to know which ammo you have :)" Famous Last words before your guns are taken by our friends the Brady Bunch.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Moderator
    Thanks George,

I'm calling my Senator
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I guess I missed it...now just how does this legislation effect the common criminal?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WAIT WAIT WAIT??? Did they say stamped into the bullet? I, while disagreeing completely with it could see the logical reasoning behind stamping the casing but the back of the bullet itself? Well boys and girls time to start stockpiling frangible ammo... :P

its amazing to see the level of stupidity in our country sometimes
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Another feel good measure that will do nothing to reduce crime.

And the anti's are probably saying "but we aren't taking away your guns."

VIP Member
    This has been introduced in a number of state legislative sessions recently, including in Tennessee. In most places, like Tennessee, the measures have gained zero traction. I suspect that the same will occur in Alabama, but certainly remain vigilant. Good luck!

Honestly, I'd be shocked if a bill like this actually passes in Alabama. That won't prevent me from calling my Senator.

Interestingly, the bill has been assigned to the Judiciary Committee. Very recently the Educational Committee "shot down" a bill to allow CPL holders to carry on public college campuses.

Its times like this I wish I was more familiar with the legislative process.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
    I just noticed, Senator Smitherman (D), who introduced this bill, is the Chairperson of the Judiciary Committee and my Senator, Ted Little (D), is also on the committee.

Anyone have any advice for contacting Senator Little?
    mavis

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mavis311 View Post
    Anyone have any advice for contacting Senator Little?
    Write him a letter.

Sen Little

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Another feel good measure that will do nothing to reduce crime.

And the anti's are probably saying "but we aren't taking away your guns."
    It's the death of a thousand cuts approach, ask the supporters if they have done any tech trials on it. the whole purpose is to discourage people from owning guns.

VIP Member
    One way we need to start killing these stupid bills once and for all is to eliminate the "except for Law Enforcement and Military" provisions that most of these bills have. You will see Police Chiefs screaming bloody murder and killing that baby with their own hands.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Write him a letter.

Sen Little
    Was the Senator 'named' after his brain?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I don't know how many have read the bill, but let me give you a couple of facts that may surprise you about it.

1) There is no "except for Law Enforcement and Military" provision in this bill.

2) Because there is no "grandfathering" nor restitution in the bill anyone with unserialized ammo on Jan. 1, 2011 automatically becomes a criminal.

3) According to Trip Pittman (R-Baldwin Co) he was the only member of the committee to express any concern about it during its first reading.

4) Because there is no "grandfathering" nor restitution in the bill it appears to me to be a classic example of an ex post facto law. If I purchased unserialized ammo on or before Dec. 31, 2010 on Jan. 1, 2011 that act which was legal when committed immediately becomes criminal. It there for appears that the bill is in violation of Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution and Article 1, Section 22 of the Alabama Constitution which both state that it is illegal to pass ex post facto laws. It is possible that the bill is also in violation of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution. Any attorneys who read this please provide an opinion on the ex post facto concern.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    "Because there is no "grandfathering" nor restitution in the bill anyone with unserialized ammo on Jan. 1, 2011 automatically becomes a criminal."

They tried that in PA but, luckily it went down in flames.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    The "no-grandfathering" provision was in the Tennessee bill also. These "legislators" (not the term I was originally going to use) all went to a conference somewhere sponsored by the usual suspects and all picked up the same legislation to bring home to their respective state houses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links