Boston PD initiative - Page 2

Boston PD initiative

This is a discussion on Boston PD initiative within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Legal issues set aside, (this has nothing to do with PC, warrants, reasonable suspicion and any other catch phrases we want to toss in for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston PD initiative

Administrator
    Legal issues set aside, (this has nothing to do with PC, warrants, reasonable suspicion and any other catch phrases we want to toss in for effect.)
    I feel this program is a waste of time and money. Police should not be doing the job of parents. if the parents are bad parents, let them lay in the fiflth they created.
    If caught doing illegal things the police should schwack the criminals. Leave playing daddy to daddy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I still feel the same way I did, but I do respect Sixto's opinion as being in the top two or three on the entire forums as far as reasonableness is concerned. But a program like this has to have the support of the people, and if most folks in Boston don't like the program, then......it dies a slow death or never gets off the ground.
    So I am in a distinct minority on this one, not the first time nor the last :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    I can see the good intent of the program, but I just think there are better ways to skin the cat, and avoid potential legal troubles down the road.

How does the saying go; Good intentions, poor execution?... or something like that.

It always amazes me how many parents call the PD to request officers to search their home for their kids drugs etc. In our little city, we get a couple a week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, I was just thinking along those lines, Sixto, if parents wanted this, they would just search the bedroom themselves and bring the guns to police stations etc so why should BPD go out looking around?
    If the parents and kids don't care, who should? So the fact that they are not doing it means they don't care, so why should BPD?
    Another potentially good idea bites the dust.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

VIP Member
    Done the right way, this program could have merit. Done wrong, it could lead to legal disaster and great personal danger to the officers.

I'd like to believe it can be done the right way, with a reasonable respect for the parent's, without coercion, and for the good of the "child." (I know, these really are monsters not children.) But somehow, I doubt it will be.

VIP Member
    Doesn't matter if it is 3 LEO, a LEO and a civilian appointed by the mayor, or just 3 civilians. NO ONE searches my home without warrant. Read the article again. If damage is done to your home or property, oh well, sorry about that.
    What happens when they find a legal gun in a house? Do you think they are going to take the owners word that it is legally owned? I doubt it....Oh wait, were talking MA here. If you have a gun it is already registered. So they already know who has guns, how many and what kind!

If you or your neighbors want to submit to a search that is your right, just as my refusal to submit is mine. They could spend all day searching my house and to my knowledge would not find anything illegal.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Wow. dcb188, you have 10 of the 21 (now 22) posts in this thread. Most of your posts are back to back and you aren't responding to anyone. I stopped reading your posts, because at some point it wasn't a discussion anymore.

You can always add to your post by using the "edit" button. It makes it easier on the rest of us. I'm just saying.

Regardless, the program isn't working, hasn't worked, and more than likely will never work. Since the BPD's chief is hired by the mayor and that mayor is none other than Bloomberg's right-hand-man, this "Public Safety Program" was not a shocker.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What happens when they find a legal gun in a house? Do you think they are going to take the owners word that it is legally owned? I doubt it....Oh wait, were talking MA here. If you have a gun it is already registered. So they already know who has guns, how many and what kind!
    You're only somewhat correct here, but have the right idea.

In MA you must have a license to possess firearms/ammo/OC, so IF THEY CHECK (and I doubt they would in this program), they'd know that someone there might legally possess firearms.

MA destroyed ALL old gun registration forms and only computerized the info as follows:

- From 1986 for Dealer transactions,
    - From 1998 for private transactions.

So there are a ton of guns out there that MA does not know who owns them or where they are.

However, Boston is extremely stingy when it comes out to giving gun permits, so in the targeted neighborhoods, the likelihood of a licensed resident is only slightly above 0%.

For the sake of argument, knowing Mumbles Menino and his "mission" (to ban/rid all guns from Boston), if BPD stumbles on a legally owned gun, I'd say the odds are 90% that "it's gone" and will never be returned.

Problems with the program:

- I doubt that they will only search little Johnny-Gangbanger's bedroom. Likely they will search the entire apartment.

- The promise of no prosecution is it's own problem. Little Johnny-Gangbanger goes back out on the street and buys another gun! Better to prosecute little Johnny-Gangbanger and take the problem off the street.

- Taking the guns off the street this way is akin to wiping up a puddle under a dripping faucet . . . turn around for a few minutes and there is another puddle. The gangbangers know where to get more guns and removing one doesn't impede them from acquiring more. Taking them off the street would, however . . . but that isn't really Mumbles Menino's goal . . . he just wants to condemn and "imprison" the guns, not the gangbangers.

Better to re-constitute the program from back some 10 years ago where the BPD arrests and courts put away the little gangbangers for a number of years.

The problem is the gangbanger, not the gun. Take him away,leave the gun behind,voila "safe home"
    Does anyone think if someone refuses the search the PD won't be back with a warrant at some point?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

morintp: they got on me for editing, so I don't do it anymore, even if the messages pile up. Not worth it

morintp---besides, not many were discussing it so i added stuff as i thought about it, plus i am trying to get up there in number of posts so as to be a distinguished member :)

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    morintp: they got on me for editing, so I don't do it anymore, even if the messages pile up. Not worth it

That's funny, I edit all the time, sometimes 3 or 4 times a post, and never once has someone complained. I probably have more edits than posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188
    morintp---besides, not many were discussing it so i added stuff as i thought about it
    There's a reason no one is discussing it. They either don't care about the subject, which means you should let it go, or they don't want to read a bunch of posts in a row from the same person...

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188
    plus i am trying to get up there in number of posts so as to be a distinguished member :)
    No comment.

Wow. I did that all in one post.

You're right. I get carried away and keep posting and it is annoying, even to me. And the editing was a one time thing where the guy, remember the guy who fired two warning shots in a Washington State motel etc? It was a real scenario so a lot of us asked him to go back and edit it to make it a hypothetical so no one could use it later against him.
    Well, he finally did it, so then I had to go in and edit all my responses to him to make them hypotheticals too! And they saw so many edits all at once and did not know why, so they were fine after I explained it.
    But anyway, I don't usually talk to myself the way I do on some threads :) I am more pro-police than a lot of police.
    So when something about BOSTON police came up and I have done nearly 200 ride alongs with them, remember that thread a few weeks ago Kind of A Scary Day, so I got on my soapbox and did not come down.
    Way too many posts and will be careful of it from now on.........So as I said, this thread is dying a slow death. Then YOU come along and keep it going :)

Can someone bring out the dead horse being beaten, please, for my OWN thread here??????? That is what it deserves by now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links