GOOD: Colorado Takes Permit Authority Away From Anti-2A Police Chiefs

This is a discussion on GOOD: Colorado Takes Permit Authority Away From Anti-2A Police Chiefs within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sheriffs protect right to bear arms | Reader Submissions | The Tribune "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, ...

Thread: GOOD: Colorado Takes Permit Authority Away From Anti-2A Police Chiefs

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Colorado Takes Permit Authority Away From Anti-2A Police Chiefs

Sheriffs protect right to bear arms | Reader Submissions | The Tribune

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

A mere 27 words make up the entire text of the Second Amendment of our Constitution. These few words stir emotions, instill fear, cause anger, elicit excitement and ultimately result in an individual sense of security. Sadly, they are some of the most misunderstood and most maligned in America today.

Some people believe, incorrectly, that the words refer only to the states' ability to form a militia. Most believe, correctly, that the Second Amendment applies to both the state and the individual. These 27 words guarantee that individuals have the right to own firearms. In June the U.S. Supreme Court will make its first ruling on this issue since 1939.

Make no mistake about where I stand in this debate; the Bill of Rights was written to protect the rights of the individual and not that of the state or the federal government. I am a fervent proponent of the individual's right to bear arms.

One especially contentious issue concerning the Second Amendment is concealed weapons permits. When I ran for my first term as sheriff in 2004, I contacted more than 600 delegates and alternates to the Republican county assembly to line up support for my party's nomination. The No. 1 question asked of me concerned my position on the Second Amendment and concealed weapons permits. This question cut across all demographics: young, old, white, Latino, men and women; and all professions: clergy, laborers, attorneys, teachers, stay-at-home parents, government employees and physicians.

Clearly, concealed weapons permits were important then and still are now to Weld County residents. To their credit, in 2003 a majority of Colorado legislators along with Gov. Bill Owens also recognized the importance of concealed weapons permits for the entire state.

The General Assembly found that widespread inconsistency existed among jurisdictions with regard to the issuance of permits. The inconsistencies resulted in "arbitrary and capricious" denial of permits based on where a person lived and not on his or her qualifications.

Legislators discovered other problems as well. Fed up with the blatant violations of the Second Amendment, Colorado lawmakers standardized the rules for issuing concealed weapons permits. Now, an individual cannot be denied a permit based on where he or she lives, and all permits are recognized statewide.

Another important change is that now only the county sheriff issues permits. In the past, chiefs of police also issued permits. However, chiefs do not answer to voters. Many did not agree with the majority of state legislators, Gov. Owens, the county sheriffs and Colorado voters that law-abiding citizens have the right to carry a concealed weapon, and therefore refused to issue concealed weapons permits. Greeley Police Chief Jerry Garner does not fall into that category.

Even among sheriffs there is not total agreement on qualifications for concealed weapons permits. The biggest disagreement is on the entry of permit holders' name into a statewide database. In the concealed weapons law, it is optional for the county sheriff to enter the names into the database. I absolutely refuse to enter Weld permit holders into the state computer system just because they legally exercise their rights.

Government has no right to know who has a concealed weapons permit or who owns a gun. That's why I am so proud of the Weld County Sheriff's Office's most recent milestone. I just issued our 2,000th permit. From a safety perspective, I am happy that the number keeps growing. People have a right to self-protection and to live free from the fear of crime. Having a firearm and a concealed weapons permit help achieve those goals.

John Cooke is the sheriff of Weld County.
    I would definitely vote for Sheriff Cooke if I lived in his district.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

I would definitely vote for Sheriff Cooke if I lived in his district.
    +1
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I'd vote him in for president,he knows how to read the constitution as it is written not as it might of been or could be interpreted to maybe mean something else
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Vote for the sheriff? I'd like to live in his county...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Government has no right to know who has a concealed weapons permit or who owns a gun.
    Neither does it have a need to know. (A desire on the part of some bureaucratic hacks doesn't constitute need or right.)

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Wow. I think I'm in love.

I would marry him

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    He is just a pretty common example of Colorado Sheriff's as a whole , and especially rural Sheriffs out here .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Redneck,

Good on the voters in your area for electing such common-sense down to earth individuals. I think the high point of this story is that the sheriff also feels that the gov't has no right to know who has weapons and who doesn't. That is refreshing in this day and age of big brother.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Do I understand this correctly as when the Sheriff issues a permit there is no record of it being issued? That is interesting. SC recently passed the law where the list cannot be released to anyone other than law enforcement agencies for crime solving but no record at all is a new one to me. If he keeps a county record I really can't see much difference between the county keeping the records and the state, theiy are both governments.

WOW! Can we clone this guy and pass him around...maybe even get him up for a vote to replace our onerous Gov here in VA? I'm sure he'd be up to take a pay hike to leave his sheriff position .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links