In memory of Ted Kennedy

This is a discussion on In memory of Ted Kennedy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Excerpts from Cris Cox: "The man who has cast more anti-gun votes than any other lawmaker in U.S. history has endorsed a candidate for president. ...

Thread: In memory of Ted Kennedy

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

In memory of Ted Kennedy

Excerpts from Cris Cox:

"The man who has cast more anti-gun votes than any other lawmaker in U.S. history has endorsed a candidate for president. On Jan. 28, Sen. Ted Kennedy formally, and to great fanfare, bestowed his political blessing on Sen. Barack Obama.

Let's take a quick look at the shameful anti-gun record of Sen. Obama's good friend and benefactor Ted Kennedy. Obama was still in elementary school when Kennedy proposed his “Personal Safety Firearms Act of 1973.”
    Taking to the Senate floor, Kennedy claimed:Gun control laws in the United States are woefully inadequate. In our vast society guns should have no reasonable role. This was Kennedy's voice, 40 years ago.

That same voice contemptuously dismissed the right that the Founding Fathers recognized and sought to protect for future generations of Americans the right to own and possess arms for self-defense, for hunting, for simple personal enjoyment.

For the American family in 1973, fear, apprehension, mistrust, anguish and pain are the dreaded products of our firearms history, Kennedy claimed.

Summarizing his bill for his colleagues, Kennedy said it would require:

First, the registration of every civilian-owned gun in this country. Second, it will require all gun owners to pass stringent qualifying procedures to legally possess a gun and, third, it bans the domestic output of all hand-held firearms that are not designed for sporting purposes.

Undaunted, Kennedy continued to charge full steam ahead. In 1979, his constant efforts to abolish our Right to Keep and Bear Arms brought him to the attention of the Senate Ethics Committee. Obama may think nobody's better than Kennedy, but the committee unanimously rebuked Kennedy for improperly using Senate stationery to write fund-raising letters for gun-ban groups that included the National Coalition to Ban Handguns.

It's safe to say that there is not a single outrageous anti-gun position Ted Kennedy has failed to support in his long career. He has voted to ban semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns. He has attempted to make it a federal crime to purchase more than two handguns in a year. He has proposed 21-day waiting periods on all gun purchases. He has made several attempts to ban centerfire hunting ammunition.

When his gun and ammunition bans failed, Sen. Kennedy fought tooth and nail to protect the gun control lobby's schemes to bankrupt the American firearm industry. And don't think that the gun confiscations from law-abiding citizens in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina troubled Kennedy in the least. He was one of only 16 senators to vote against the nra-backed Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act that became federal law on Oct. 9, 2006.

The man Obama praises as having been on the front lines has throughout his career been a staunch opponent of the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Why? Because, in his words, 'It seems to validate the role of firearms as an acceptable and attractive part of our daily life.'"

================================================== =====
    As Senator Kennedy recovers in the hospital, I think we should all hope he is not hounded by the press. May he rest in peace.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I wonder how much Ted had to re-wire his brain after he killed Mary Jo Kopechne at Chappaquiddick Island in order that he might feel that the car was to blame? He instinctually demonizes objects to plaster a facade over the foundation of his guilty crumbled soul. I see you Teddy.

VIP Member
    Moderators-- Isn't this too partisan to be within the guidelines?

I don't see where showing where a senator or somebody running for presidents anti 2nd amendment views are partisan nobody said democrat or republican all that was posted was the truth
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Moderators-- Isn't this too partisan to be within the guidelines?
    That's what the "report post" button is for. It is located right below the avatar. It's the triangle thingy with an "!" in it. I would also suggest sending a PM to a moderator if you're all that upset about it.

IMO, it is not. It is a thread about politicians that are anti gun. Being that this is a pro gun board, I would think that it is acceptable.

Administrator
    Well, as much as I personally despise Ted Kennedy for his politics and other things.

I think its sort of classless to start verbally pounding any individual that just suffered a massive stroke.

Hopefully we can all be bigger than that and show some basic human respect even though that respect may be very much undeserved.

He needs to be kicked and kicked hard but, not when he is helpless and down on the ground.

Just my personal opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links