What else has been incrementally banned?

This is a discussion on What else has been incrementally banned? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the arguments the anti's keep making is the whole "common sense" laws, which I think a lot of us here will agree are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else has been incrementally banned?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

What else has been incrementally banned?

One of the arguments the anti's keep making is the whole "common sense" laws, which I think a lot of us here will agree are attempts to incrementally reach their main objective, total ban of guns. We often refer to it as the "slippery slope" and fight to keep them from gaining small steps that could turn into big gains later down the road.

I'm not saying we should concede, or change our views, I was trying to think of some other types of things that have over time been incrementally chipped away at until ultimately it was banned, or made just to impractical due to restrictions.

I don't think any argument would really sway the anti's "It's for the children" mentality, would be nice to have other examples in the old arsenal if tasked with explaining our side.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty sure smoking is there. Between the bans and taxes it'll be outlawed or impossible to do soon. While it does have a general health aspect that guns don't have, I still think a lot that goes on with the banning and especially taxing is rediculous.

Note: I've never smoked and can't stand the smell. But if you want to kill yourself go right ahead. And if you can't afford the insurance for treatment later in life, oh well.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Here's my take: No compromise whatsoever. There is no such thing as "reasonable" gun laws. What it boils down to is this: when you enact rules like that, liberals always have some sort of bypass, for special people like Madonna, or Rosie, or people that they deem more important than the rest of us.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Lawn darts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

seatbelts, only get a ticket if you were pulled over for anothe violation remember how it all started first the front seat then under 13 now everyone is required to wear them. "Super blitz"

VIP Member

Maybe not outright bans, but

There are a number of things that have been incrementally restricted and/or the requirements have expanded incrementally -- either creating a ban or otherwise making things very difficult.

Animal Rights - was a time any stray chasing.... Or that you could raise and sell puppies w/o.... Or if you needed to put down an animal you didn't need to pay a vet.

Burying an Animal on your own lad.

Having a Family Cemetery on your own land.

Many other uses of your own land.

Health Inspections/Restrictions - was a time home-made, home-grown, etc could be sold locally w/o hassle. Clubs & Churches held dinners, sold stew/BBQ/fish fries/etc along the road, as fund raisers w/o hassle, licencing, etc (FWISW -- a Non-profit/Church-hosted soup-kitchen is treated as a Restaurant, here. I resigned. The local Mayor set up a free hot-dog give-away when the "Traveling Vietnam Wall" was here. The County inspector tried to shut it down for lack of licensing and inspection.)

Fireworks -- was a time here in VA when Cherry Bombs, M10s, all kinds of rockets, real Roman Candles, etc were common fund raiser end of June and/or available at local stores most of the year.

General Explosives -- was a time I could buy caps, dynamite, large cans of powder at Southern States, or the hardware store w/o so much as an ID.

IDs -- the incidents of needing IDs (and more extensive ID) to do many things has gone up.

Restrictions on business -- e.g. the Fleet MPG regs. They didn't ban the station-wagon they incrementally restricted its production, indirectly. Now they are moving on to restricting SUV, small trucks, Vans, etc.

Someone else already mention smoking.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The square inches of material required to make a swimming suit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Speech - now you have to watch what you say lest you run afoul of the ever-growing "Hate Speech" vocabulary.

Parental Rights - Government-run education is creeping into the right to home school your child, discipline your child, even dress your child as you see fit.

Land - Dave mentioned several restrictions on how you use your own land. How 'bout the ever-popular eminent domain (aka selling YOUR property to the highest bidder, all in the name of doing what's best for the community, i.e. growing the tax base).

While perhaps not a "right" in the traditional sense of the word, our history and textbooks are being re-written as you read this to conform with someone's agenda. Whatever happened to the good ole Saturday morning cartoons? Buggs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, Roadrunner were all yanked off the air because they "promoted violence." Yeah, every time I watched Roadrunner, I begged my parents for plane ticket out west so I could push an animal off of a cliff, just to see it come back to life.

The list seems never ending. These are just a few things I can think of right now.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I can think of a few that need to be added to it:
    • Taxes
      ---> this one's a biggie for me. Our family land has been systematically banned effectively. Land that was passed down from generation to generation for each generation to work and make it their own has had to be sold off bit by bit over the years to pay off the ever rising taxes. My grandfather is reduced to 20-30 acres or so of what had been thousands all because they continually raise the land/property taxes on a retired vet with no other real income. For the most part they lived off of what they grew through most of my childhood. Before long there won't be enough land left for them to do that and they're pushing it now as it is. What ever happened to a mans land being his own once it's bought and paid for? What do I have left to teach my children about if I'm ever blessed with any?
    • Liberals (who seem all too eager to push for the first bullet above)
    • A few countries
    • Democrats (who egg on the liberals or hide behind them)
    • Republicans (who don't do anything about the first few groups listed)

Oh wait...wrong list... I thought you said wish list of what you wanted to be incrementally banned...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Around here, spray paint must be sold from behind the counter. Your I.D. is entered into a log book when you purchase, and you must be 18 years / older... this slid down the slope from restrictions on cold medicine containing Pseudoephedrine. Now we have no vandalism or meth addicts anymore.

I think freedom in general is being incrementally banned. There are laws restricting when I can and can't take my lunch / breaks at work. What lane I can drive in. What kind of tires I can have on my car. What type of fuel I can purchase. Soon to be how many windows I can put in a house or maximum square footage. How much water I can flush. There aren't a whole lot of things a guy can do without being taxed or restricted.

ETA: forgot about the ban on Trans-Fat.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    We have incrementally passed laws banning the restriction of concealed carry.

We have incrementally passed laws to protect people if it becomes necessary to use a gun to defend yourself.

We have incrementally banned allowing corporations to pollute the air and the water.

We have also passed laws to make it more difficult for drug addicts and gang bangers to produce illegal drugs and acquire the tools to vandalize property.

I know the intent was to show how the people (government) are crushing civil liberties but that isn't always the case. I'm sure there are more but I doubt if we will read about the good work our government does in the areas of research and development.

Senior Moderator
    We systematically allowing the demise of our National Sovereignty by giving more of our rights to the United Nations, an organization that is anti-American,anti-property rights, anti-gun, anti freedom and anti- free speech..to name a few.

We are downsizing our Military while the U.N.upsizes theirs...with the goal to have the only standing army in the world.

We are systematically limiting and in some cases removing the rights of Christians,of all kinds, to worship as they see fit. If a Pastor preaches about immorality or a possible Presidential candidate that caters to the homosexual crowd, he will be threatened with losing his Churches tax exempt status.

We are incrementally destroying discipline in the public school system by allowing kids and parents, to get away with anything. We cannot punish a child for doing wrong with out fear of being sued.

Common sense in the school systems has been almost completely wiped out.

We are teaching our kids doctrines that a large majority do not want taught, just to keep from "offending" those of different races, creeds,religions or lifestyles.

Decent television programing has been systematically destroyed bit by bit. Now you get programing all day long that at one time was either not shown, or if it was, it was only done late at night so that most kids couldn't see it.

Our heritage of self defense has been almost eliminated. When two kids at school get into a fight, they are both expelled. When I was in, whoever threw the first punch got paddled. Now are kids are taught that under no circumstances are they to defend themselves. As a result, when some wacko walks into a school or a university and starts shooting, most of the kids curl up in the fetal position and hope that the threat goes away, rather than trying to kill the SOB that wants to kill them.

Winning is being incrementayl phased out.

It used to be that you had to 'try out" for a team. You either made it or you didn't. Now, everyone makes it, whether they suck or not. Rather than breed winners, its breed mediocrity. If you won a tournament, you won a trophy. Now you get a trophy just for showing up.

So as to not damage the self esteem of those that are too lazy to get off of their butts and try to improve, we appease them and their pansyfied parents by bringing everyone to their level.

We incrementally pass laws that only make it harder for the good guys to do something, because most of our lawmakers and politicians aren't smart enough to realize that bad guys don't follow the law and don't care about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Knives. First Bowies, dirks and daggers. Now in Seattle you can't carry a fixed blade of any type. Razor blades not attached to a razor is considered a fixed blade and can get you arrested.

Common sense ......phased out.

Political correctness ........phased in.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

No hunting, species by species.

No criticism of Obama.

Property rights (zoning, eminent domain)

Public school ownership of "values"

Wussification of America. 2 boys can't even get in a fight without one or both ending up with a criminal record.

Nobody is allowed to "win". Equal outcome is required, no matter what effort is expended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links