MicroStamping Demo Fiasco

This is a discussion on MicroStamping Demo Fiasco within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The State of New York held a 'public' demonstration of the microstamping technology at a police range today. It seems the entities involved wanted to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MicroStamping Demo Fiasco

MicroStamping Demo Fiasco

The State of New York held a 'public' demonstration of the microstamping technology at a police range today. It seems the entities involved wanted to make sure the 'right people'(and ONLY the right people) get the 'full treatment' about the politically correctness of the technology.

There must have been quite a dust up when Assemblyman Greg Ball objected to his guests being ejected from the test. Representatives from the NRA, the NSSF, and the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association were kicked out.

New York Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence today held a demonstration of firearms microstamping for New York lawmakers at a state police range in Albany. The demonstration was conducted by microstamping patent holder Todd Lizotte. Members of the firearms industry were refused entry into the public building during the demonstration.
    The Legislative Gazette gave little information except to say that the test occurred. HERE
    Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel today went to the New York State Police firing range in Albany to call attention to a live demonstration of semiautomatic pistols equipped with microstamping technology.
    Microstamping is a patented technology that makes the firing pin and breech face in semiautomatic pistols capable of stamping letters and numbers onto the cartridge case of the ammunition when fired. The characters are imprinted onto the firing pin by a laser when the gun is manufactured. The information on the cartridge can help law enforcement link the ammunition to the make, model and serial number of the gun it was fired from.
    Schimel, D-Great Neck, proposed legislation that would require every semiautomatic weapon manufactured in New York to be equipped with the technology.
    But, Politics On The Hudson had more to say about it. HERE
    State Assemblyman Greg Ball apparently made his feelings known today on a piece of legislation that would require every semi-automatic weapon manufactured in the state capable of stamping a unique code onto the cartridge case of fired ammuntion. The information, proponents say, can help police link the ammunition to the gun it was fired from without having the gun.

Ball, R-Patterson, showed up at the event at a State Police HQ firing range, which was hosted by Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel, D-Great Neck. He brought along Jake McGuigan of the National Shooting Sports Foundation and Greg Costa, a representative of the National Rifle Association and National Shooting Sports Foundation and board member of NYS Rifle and Pistol Association. Microstamping, they contend, is flawed, needs further testing and its cost is greater than any possible public safety benefits...
    For more info on MicroStamping check out this site. HERE

The left is trying to get this stuff on the books without anyone even knowing about it!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Don't ever let facts get in the way of a good liberal fanatsy!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I say what are they afraid of? Why kick out the NRA, NSSF and everyone else? i guess none of them thought about how easy it would be to remove the firing pin and breech and just taking a dremel to them both.......

of course, law-abiding folks will never do such a thing.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    What I would like to see happen.....IF a state is stupid enough to pass micro-stamping.......is that ALL ammo manufactures stop selling ammunition to that state...INCLUDING ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT! That way the only people with ammo will be criminals....maybe then when the asinine politicians see the resulting increase in crime, they will be voted OUT of office.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    They want this on weapons MANUFACTUREDin NY.

Have they considered the economic impact when the manufacturers simply LEAVE? NO!
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

My prediction: microstamping = rebirth of the revolver. One can only hope it results in the downfall of just a few senators for sheer stupidity and fiduciary malfeasance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My prediction: microstamping = rebirth of the revolver. One can only hope it results in the downfall of just a few senators for sheer stupidity and fiduciary malfeasance.
    The reciever of an autoloader has the serial number . . . the slide, with firing pin, can be purchased without an FFL.
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Nobody said the people that think this stuff up have ever held a gun or have any knowledge of what they are talking about first hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The logic is cystal clear. If it ever works (for a reasonable price), microstamping will identify the lawful owner. This will probably come as a shock to you folks on this forum, but microstamping will not identify the thug that stole the gun.

I'll leave it to geniuses like Ted Kennedy (let's all say a prayer that his recovery goes as we would like) to tie microstamping to the jerk that actually committed the crime.

Administrator
    I say we macro stamp Kennedy and pals.
    "Just blame Sixto"

These idiots keep passing or try to pass laws that the BG's will never abide by which leaves law abiding citizens with less power to defend themselves. Wow, what was I thinking. Of course the want us to rely on the government for everything. Even our personal safety.
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    The point isn't to microstamp and track at all, the point is to make it really expensive to the point it drives companies out of buissness. They don't care if a microstamping gun or for that matter serialized ammo they bring up ever sells 1 iota. It is about killing the industry.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    These idiots keep passing or try to pass laws that the BG's will never abide by which leaves law abiding citizens with less power to defend themselves. Wow, what was I thinking. Of course the want us to rely on the government for everything. Even our personal safety.
    Please don't tell me that you are one of those folks that doubt that dialing 911 won't result in the police arriving in time to PREVENT the crime.

I just wonder what the test showed. They must of be worried it would fail if they wanted just the right people there. No report on the results. Makes me wonder about it. Maybe a waste of tax payers money.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

This is exactly what happened in CA. It's all playing to the press, feeding them the story that they WANT to hear. When the Guv got smeared by CA hunters, on a bill that his office admitted was garbage, Swarzenegger signed it. Payback happens.

Don't let this happen in NY or any other state. We all know the technology isn't there. Even if it was, what would keep the lawful shooter's casings from appearing at a crime scene?

You have to get the press behind you. This failed technology has the potential to put many good people behind bars. One day of gang bangers collecting brass at a range can mean dozens of erroneous search and arrest warrants. Who pays for the attorney that you have to hire to stay out of jail?!!!

Last item: even if you are not a NY voter, light up the phones there. Non-CA shooters blew off helping us out and now there is a huge state with precedent for other states to follow. NY shooters need to get the info out to everyone on these forums to beat this legislation down. Name the lawmakers who need to be contacted, provide numbers, faxes, etc. Bury them with our activism and stop this in its tracks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links