Which states tweak their CC laws for fire/EMS personnel

This is a discussion on Which states tweak their CC laws for fire/EMS personnel within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to gather stats to push a bill in my state that would allow on duty fire/EMS to be exempt from certain provisions of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which states tweak their CC laws for fire/EMS personnel

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I'm trying to gather stats to push a bill in my state that would allow on duty fire/EMS to be exempt from certain provisions of our CC laws.

Looking for things like being allowed to CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, schools, and in other prohibited places.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Add BOLD
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I've got total respect for you hard working EMS and Firefighters, but why should there be any exception for you over the next legal Joe?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Tweaking? The laws? Maybe I don't want to know. If I did know, It would probably bother me above and beyond what I'm allowed to explain here.

None of my firefighting buddies are allowed to carry on duty at all...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have to add my 2 cents here too. EMT's/Paramedics/Firefighters are not members of law enforcement.

There is absolutely NO REASON for you guys to have more concealed carry rights ANYWHERE than any other citizen would have. Leave that perk to off duty LAW ENFORCEMENT who really SHOULD be carrying EVERY WHERE they go when on or off duty.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Just being a fire fighter or an emt shouldn't give you any extra privileges that the ordinary citizen with a cc permit has. I do think that anyone who has a cc permit should be able to carry a concealed weapon in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

I don't think he meant when out drinking after work. If a Paramedic is carrying at work (Although I don't know any department or company that allows it), He may get a call to a bar or whatever. I've never heard of a state that does make an exception for this. MI definitely does NOT. I wouldn't have a problem with it for on duty personnel performing work duties.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Off duty with you CHL ... whatever you want to do. On duty, there is no way you would or should be allowed to carry, you are not LEO.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    Off duty with you CHL ... whatever you want to do. On duty, there is no way you would or should be allowed to carry, you are not LEO.
    If a plumber or store clerk can carry, why shouldn't Fire/EMS be allowed??? We're not talking about making arrests, but people try to hurt us out there. Oh, that's right. We should just call the cops and wait for them. And wait, and wait...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Carry Where?

Tom G, that is a broad statement;

" I do think that anyone who has a cc permit should be able to carry a concealed weapon in a restaurant that serves alcohol."

Our State allows carrying in this situation with strict .04 limit. No problems in 5 yrs. You are totally wrong.
    Last edited by tabsr; May 22nd, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: delete sentence
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I will amend my comment slightly. If your particular city/county allows you to carry while on duty as an EMT/Firefighter, then by all means I think you should be able to carry wherever you go. However, I dont think EMT/Firefighter personnel have the type of job that really fits well with carrying a gun on duty. Firefighters have to go into burning buildings. This is not a good idea carrying a weapon. Taking it off to go inside leaves a weapon basically "unattended" and is of no use to its owner.

EMT have too much to do when trying to treat a person for injuries. It takes a lot of attention to the "victim" in order to assure his/her proper care. You dont have time to be getting into a fire-fight with someone. Police should already be on-scene providing security for you.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Speaking as an EMT/Firefighter with over 25 years on the job, I do not believe I should have any extra concealed carry rights over anyone else. If I were able to carry on the job then so should everyone else be able to carry at their place of employment. I do understand that as EMS workers, we do run into some pretty dangerous situations, but my department has a policy of staging at least a block away and letting the police arrive on the scene first. At times I have watched gunshot and stabbing wound victims lay helpless on the street bleeding to death while I waited with my crew for the police to show up. It only takes one time to try and help someone with the shooter still on the scene and suddenly you're the one that isn't coming home! Besides at a fire I am usually soaked from head to toe from perspiration and water and filthy dirty all over, not an ideal situation for carrying a gun.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ok guys I appreciate your comments and don't necessarily disagree with many of them.

I would think such a law would apply to firefighters mostly that aren't engaged in firefighting; many have other jobs, such as when they are assigned to an ambulance.

Also consider that many fire/EMS personnel are volunteers, and as such have more discretion on carrying on an ambulance.

If you read my original post closely, you will see that I am talking about ON DUTY CARRY. Unlike many other service professions, I don't have the convenience of disarming before I go into a bar to save somebody. Inadequate storage, possible brandishing, scaring the sheep, scaring the partner, risk of unemployment. And there isn't an EMT out there that can say we never have the SHTF fall on our heads on an otherwise "safe" call. The Cops aren't always on our backsides, and we don't stage on sick calls.

If I am allowed to CC at work, and I take advantage of that allowance, regardless of how anyone else feels about it, when I get a call at a bar, do I break the law?

Just looking for other states' laws concerning this. I know for a fact there is at least one, I've read it, but I don't remember which state it was.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If I am allowed to CC at work, and I take advantage of that allowance, regardless of how anyone else feels about it, when I get a call at a bar, do I break the law?

Just looking for other states' laws concerning this. I know for a fact there is at least one, I've read it, but I don't remember which state it was.
    This is as close as I can come with Arizona law. But I don't think an EMT seeks emergency aid...

29. For any person other than a peace officer, the licensee or an employee of the licensee acting with the permission of the licensee to be in possession of a firearm while on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer knowing such possession is prohibited. This paragraph shall not be construed to include a situation in which a person is on licensed premises for a limited time in order to seek emergency aid and such person does not buy, receive, consume or possess spirituous liquor.

I retired from law enforcement. Never once have I seen an example where a public safety officer on duty was denied access to any public facility. These are all authorized and/or mandated to carry on duty. I've never seen a firefighter (except for investigators) or EMT's authorized to carry as an official duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links