What is Obama's true stance on the 2A?

This is a discussion on What is Obama's true stance on the 2A? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am sending this letter to Senator Obama, to see if he will answer the questions within or what response I will get from him/his ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Obama's true stance on the 2A?

I am sending this letter to Senator Obama, to see if he will answer the questions within or what response I will get from him/his campaign as it relates to the 2A.

Any bets on whether or not they will respond? I can be sure, he will not answer them question by question, but hey, I can hope.

I am a gun owner, have my concealed handgun license in Texas, prior member of the U.S. Army, enjoy hunting, shooting and owning guns.

There are many people in this country that feel the founding fathers were absolutely right by including the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights. It is the Bill of Rights after all, not the Bill of Privileges. Just as others and I believe in the right of free speech, assembly, religion, unreasonable searches and seizures, Grand Jury, and all the other rights listed and granted in the Bill of Rights. It does strike me as odd however that persons in elected office so often go after the right to keep and bear arms, when they would never attempt to go after the other rights in the Constitution. Is there any place that says this 2nd Amendment right is any less important than the others given by our Constitution?

I do not know what your true stance is on the 2nd Amendment, or I would not be writing you at this time, I have found nothing on your website which addresses this issue. I would like to know where you stand on the following issues.

Do you support the reinstatement of the Assault Weapons Ban?
    Do you think that Americans should be required to register with either their state or the federal government in order to purchase, own or possess firearms or ammunition, similar to Illinois FOID system?
    Do you think that all guns should have to be kept in a non-functioning state, either disassembled and unloaded or unloaded and locked in a safe when in the home?
    Do you believe that the D.C. ban on handguns, and the other laws that severely restrict firearm ownership by the general public are Constitutional?
    Would you sign any documentation or treaties allowing U.S. citizens to be regulated by a foreign entity or other body, i.e. U.N., Nato, or other governing body as it relates to firearms or other activities?
    Do you believe that the right to self-protection, and defense with the use of firearms is granted by the Constitution and or by God?
    Do you believe that elected officials should enjoy more privileges or rights than the average citizen? There are those that are in favor of more restrictive gun control that have concealed carry licenses themselves, or have persons hired that carry guns to protect them.
    Do you believe that the lives of elected officials are more valuable than Americans in general? By that I am asking if elected will you either provide the same security measures for the American people that you will receive or will you do away with the security measures that are currently provided to the President and other members of Congress and the Courts? If not, will you make the pledge to allow us to protect ourselves, by not signing any new laws that restrict the ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens of this country?

The founding fathers correctly included in the Constitution many rights, which they felt were necessary to the freedom of this country and its citizens. I, along with many others feel that the right to keep and bear arms is just as important as the right of free speech, which I choose to use in writing this letter to you.

By restricting law-abiding citizens ownership of guns, the only thing that ensures is that the criminal element will have less resistance when they choose to practice their trade. They are not and will not abide by any laws that are passed. They are criminals after all, laws will not affect them, only those law abiding people who will be victimized when they are told they can no longer own firearms which the Constitution gives us the right to.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You will get a generic reply if you get a reply at all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If you have to ask, you will likely believe the answer they give you.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I say a generic form letter if anything...and in reality, he could tell you anything, and do something else...that is what politicians do...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Moderator
    If you emailed it to him, you'll get a generic glad-handing note, and also be subscribed to the Obama-SPAM list.

He's quite careful to hide his anti-gun beliefs. There's not a single word about it on his website.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I saw tape of a Clinton-Obama debate wherein he gave his "answer" to one of your questions. When asked "Do you support the DC handgun ban?", a simple yes-or-no question, both gave smoke & mirrors non-answers.

A candidate, or a politician who may be a future candidate, will never give a straight answer. The old joke is absolutely true: "How can you tell if a politician is lying? His mouth is open".

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I cannot answer this and stay within forum rules . I do ask you to consider that he was on the board of the joyce foundation tho and then answer for yourself .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

So are you saying you really don't know what his stance is, or is your goal to get him to answer specific questions? If you don't know, you must not have read or watched TV for the last year. Sure he has not really stated his policy, but his actions speak just as loudly.

Great letter, I doubt you will hear back from them at all. Although it would be great to hear those questions asked of him in the Dem/Rep debate they are certain to have before Nov.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

EW3
    I'm pretty sure Obama has publicly stated that "only the police and military should have guns"
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

He is straddling the 2nd Amendment, and voiding his internals every chance he gets.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

What is Obama's true stance? It depends on who is talking to at the time, just like all politicians.

First find out what your audience thinks. Then say something that will make them think you are on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    He's quite careful to hide his anti-gun beliefs. There's not a single word about it on his website.
    Matt
    Matt-

That's not quite factual. Here's a link to his website with his "stance" on firearms:

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ad..._Sportsmen.pdf

Specifically, he says:

"Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation."

Take it for what it's worth.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

... and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms
    Barak, Micheal Moore, and Diane Feinstein are busy making sure our 2A rights are not infringed upon ... you know ... it's because they GREATLY respect the consitutional rights to bear arms.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links