California “Smart Gun” Bill Passes Assembly, Now Heads to Senate!

This is a discussion on California “Smart Gun” Bill Passes Assembly, Now Heads to Senate! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Moderators, I searched, but please merge if necessary! From: NRA-ILA :: Legislation Thursday, May 29, 2008 On Wednesday, May 28, the Assembly voted 41-30 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California “Smart Gun” Bill Passes Assembly, Now Heads to Senate!

VIP Member

Thumbs down California “Smart Gun” Bill Passes Assembly, Now Heads to Senate!

Moderators, I searched, but please merge if necessary!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

On Wednesday, May 28, the Assembly voted 41-30 to pass Assembly Bill 2235. The bill now heads to the Senate for its consideration.

AB2235 would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed.

Introduced by Assemblyman Mark DeSaulnier (D-11), AB2235 would require the Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only “owner-authorized” handguns could be approved for sale in California.

Please contact your State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to oppose AB2235 when it comes before them for a vote. Contact information can be found here.

Well, here is some more nonsense from California's legislature. I wonder if the "Governator" will sign it?

I wonder if firearms manufacturers will continue to sell handguns in California, either to private owners OR to law enforcement? Sorry, folks out in California, but I wouldn't....

2. Remove Ads

Barrett quit servicing all LEO rifles when they banned .50 cal. rifles in California. Pretty sure they don't sell new ones to them either. If all manufacturers would take that stand, it might straighten some of those nutcases out a little bit.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

will LEO handguns require the same "feature"? I have used biometrics before (not in handgun). It works ok if you are not exactly in a rush. But for a handgun? I don't see how it could possibly work.

Do they even specify if this requires "several" handguns to be available? What if one lousy manufacturer comes out with a .22 that "sort of works"... will this be the only handgun for sale in CA (even to LEO... ?)

glad I live in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    will LEO handguns require the same "feature"? I have used biometrics before (not in handgun). It works ok if you are not exactly in a rush. But for a handgun? I don't see how it could possibly work.

Do they even specify if this requires "several" handguns to be available? What if one lousy manufacturer comes out with a .22 that "sort of works"... will this be the only handgun for sale in CA (even to LEO... ?)

glad I live in FL.
    Well, you just have to insert a radio frequency chip or some other kind of proximity sensor into the 'registered owners' hand. That way, if they aren't holding it, a magnetic safety blocks the firing pin.

The technology is readily available, and would not even be that hard to implement. The implications, however, are endless.

Just think, you could have Real Gunfree zones. If it was radio controlled, you could have certain sensors or signals that would deactivate them. Like at a school.
    Now if you could just stop the criminals from buying normal guns, or keeping ones they already have, or removing the firing pin block, then you would be good to go.

Also, I find it interesting that it appears it would apply to all sales, not necessarily commercial sales from FFL's.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I was stationed in CA once......

I'd rather have a vasectomy with a salad fork than go back.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I was stationed in CA once......

I'd rather have a vasectomy with a salad fork than go back.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ouncement.html

If your not careful with what you say to your wife, she may make that happen for you.

Back on topic. I am sure the technology is out there to make this possible, but I just don't trust any kind of electronics on carry weapon. I have an electronic sight on my AR, but if it fails, I can still use the factory sight. If the electronics in these smart guns fail, then you most likely will die. No thank you.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

this is terrible. lets chop off thumbs tape them to sensors on the pistol so my friend can go out shooting with me
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Senior Moderator
    So my shotgun can only be fired by me, great I don't have to worry about a BG getting it and shooting my wife..........

I just have to worry about my wife not being able to use my shotgun to shot a BG who is going to rape our daughter.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If what that bill says is true and passes not even LEO's will be able to buy guns,cause to tell you the truth I don't think any firearms manufacturer is going to appease them,they already have bent over enough times and I've heard Barrett will only service their .50 calibre rifles if an LEO from the department accompanies the weapon to the factory and waits til they fix it and then return it to the same LEO.This is just an attempt to prevent any gun sales in Kalifornia.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I saw a TV show about the bio gun being tested by Colt. The gun had a short range receiver. The owner of the gun would wear a ring which would transmit a signal to the gun that it was in the rightful owner's hands. It also had electric firing circuitry. They already had a working prototype.

My 3 yo grandson's favorite toy is his Capt. Jack Sparrow Pirate Master Sword. It makes all the sounds of a sword fight when you move it about but it will only make those sounds if the person holding said cutlass is wearing the special Capt. Jack Sparrow ring.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Glad to know that the Capt. Jack Sparrow Priate Master Sword is safe ;-).

Regarding the ring/RFID implants for guns: What if the BG would set up jammers and turn off the GG/LEO guns? I assume a BG would be able to procure a "pre-ban" gun or manipulate a gun to remove the mechanism. What about the gun sitting safe in a locked drawer in your bedroom for a few years, and if one night the BG comes, you find out the batteries are empty?

Anyway. Stupid law.

signals over the air can and are jammed. Plus the need for some type of battery. Jeez, let me dock my glock right next to my iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    signals over the air can and are jammed. Plus the need for some type of battery. Jeez, let me dock my glock right next to my iPod.
    Heh, The Glock Dock...you better get your patent so you can collect on all the royalties!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    AB2235 would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed.
    I don't see how it can be both 'permanent' and also 'programmable' unless it is designed to self-destruct when tampered with. What thing cannot be hacked or reverse engineered?

This whole idea is inside out and full of holes. We'd be much better off executing murderers and generally making criminals regret their choices.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Another back door attempt at banning handguns. They're already trying to get us with ammo, now this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links