Ant-RTKBA LTE

Ant-RTKBA LTE

This is a discussion on Ant-RTKBA LTE within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another Anti-RTKBA LTE in Roanoke Times: Shootings will end when we take guns out of the equation - Roanoke.com Shootings will end when we take ...

Thread: Ant-RTKBA LTE

VIP Member

Ant-RTKBA LTE

Another Anti-RTKBA LTE in Roanoke Times:

Shootings will end when we take guns out of the equation - Roanoke.com

Shootings will end when we take guns out of the equation

I am tired of reading about handguns and the assertion that everyone should carry a handgun so that he or she can protect themselves and others against a deranged shooter like Seung-Hui Cho.

Years ago, a deranged shooter in Tasmania shot and killed 30 people. Since this tragedy, Australia has had the good sense to outlaw handguns. According to the Australian Government Institute of Criminology, the total number of homicides by handguns has dropped 30 percent since 1999.

Life is precious, and the taking of a person's life is horrific. No law that permits the carrying of a concealed handgun is worth the taking of a life.

The argument has been made that if everyone at Virginia Tech had been permitted to carry a handgun, then Cho would have been shot dead in his tracks before he had a chance to shoot. Poppycock!

The only civilized thing to do is to abolish handguns and then there will be no need to carry one for protection. Unless handguns are abolished, tragedies like the one that occurred at Tech are destined to occur again and again, with innocent bystanders, including those with concealed handguns, being shot.

G.V. GIBBS
    BLACKSBURG
    As I am still within the limit on frequency of LTEs, I can't respond

However, feel free to pick up the gantlet.

BTW -- he was cherry picking his stats. The same Australian Government Institute of Criminology reports:

Homicide and kidnapping occur at rates of less than 5 per 100,000 each, and are difficult to distinguish on this chart.

The trend in the rate of recorded assault increased steadily from 1996 to 2006. The rate in 2006 was 829, compared with 623 per 100,000 in 1996. The 2006 rate was the highest recorded since 1996.

The rate for robbery peaked in 2001. Following a subsequent decline, the rate has levelled out to 84 per 100,000 in 2006.

The rate of kidnapping remained between 3 and 4 per 100,000 between 1996 and 2006.

The homicide rate was 1.9 in 1996 (which includes the 35�victims of the Port Arthur massacre) and was at its highest in 1999 at 2.0 per 100,000. By 2004 it had dropped to 1.5�and has remained stable since then.

The rate of recorded sexual assault increased between 1996 and 2006 from 79 to 88 persons per 100,000. However, the increase has been much less marked in more recent years.
    Violent crime statistics

and

The weapons/methods used in the commission of homicide have remained relatively unchanged over the years. The figure below shows that while the most common types of weapons used in homicide in Australia are weapons of opportunity, such as knives or sharp instruments and hands and/or feet, weapon use tends to differ based on the gender of the victim. Females were more likely to be killed with a knife or sharp instrument (37%), followed by being beaten to death with hands and/or feet (27%). This pattern of weapon use was similar for male victims, although the proportion of males killed with a firearm in 2004-05 declined, with a firearm becoming the third most common weapon for male victims (19%). Fewer than one in 10 females were killed with a firearm in 2004-05.
    Homicides in Australia 2004-05 : weapon type [Fact sheet]

Yep! confiscate the guns and use of guns go down, some.

Crime stay about the same, however.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The poor guy's math only works in the vacuum between his ears.

Roanoke Times has a history of blind bias to the 2nd ammendment, complete with the delight of publishing mis-information and total disrespect to truthful reporting and editing.

Why let facts and honesty get in the way of sinsationalism and agenda.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Let's tell all the gang bangers & other thugs to just turn in their guns. I'm sure that will work.

After that, we can ban knives, bats, pens, pencils, chairs, rocks...

Hm. Roanoke Times, eh? These are the same schmucks that published the online database of all Virginia citizens who are licensed to carry, IIRC.

Nope. The only certain thing will be that upstanding citizens will be disarmed. It's only a fantasy and wishful thinking that criminals will be disarmed by the same policy.

For a view of how such things turn out for upstanding citizens, check the crime rates in Britain, Australia and other places where victim disarmament has been executed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Thumbs down Same morons

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. Roanoke Times, eh? These are the same schmucks that published the online database of all Virginia citizens who are licensed to carry, IIRC.
    Yep! Same morons.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Taking away all the drugs (drug war) has worked fairly well...
    So I guess a 'gun war' could work...

Yep, let's have all the BG and gang-bangers turn theirs in first...

I'll see you down at the 'gun turn-in depot' later...much later

Stay armed...stay away from media idiots...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Even if you could theoretically get every gun, watch knife, baseball bat,other weapon attacks go way up, thugs like unarmed victims better than armed opponents.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    I know these stats are based on percentage, but the population of Australia is only about 21,000,000 .

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I know these stats are based on percentage, but the population of Australia is only about 21,000,000 .
    Which is not a small amount of population.
    To provide perspective...

Australia is equal to 2.5 that of New York City or 6 times that of Los Angeles County in population. Both are the number 1 and 2 most populous cities in America.
    Source - http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Australia has just over 3M more people than Florida (18.0M) and 2M more than New York State (19.3M) with 2M less people than Texas (23.5M).
    Source - Population by State — Infoplease.com

21M is a lot of people.

Australia has the worlds highest criminal victimization rate of any country in the world, developed or else wise. It's that bad there. :(
    This only became the case _after_ they instituted a complete and total buyback followed by ban of public/citizen non-LEO or military firearms ownership and possession.
    Prior they were not even on radar.

Now imagine same happening to New York State, Texas, or Florida.
    And they say we Yanks have a culture of violence and our children are desensitized to as much thanks to video games and Marilyn Manson music (to whom I personally am a big and long time fan of but that's another story). While in Aussie land they are folks purportedly most interested in shrimp on barbies, going on walkabout, drinking lots of Fosters beer, and having wacky adventures with animals.
    Or so goes the marketing for us and them.

If similar or same govt. ban regs were to apply toward the US one cannot imagine what the resulting criminal victimization numbers might become when one looks across the pond to what has happened amongst our buttoned down friends of the United Kingdom or that of our laid back buds down under.

Oh and for reference the population of Washington, D.C. is just 582K and it's long been in the top ten if not top 5 for criminal victimization also as based on and figured by population density.
    And everybody knows that DC is rife with crime, even as it over a decade ago lost it's title as "Murder Captial" of the nation/world.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    What an indiot!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Years ago, a deranged shooter in Tasmania shot and killed 30 people. Since this tragedy, Australia has had the good sense to outlaw handguns. According to the Australian Government Institute of Criminology, the total number of homicides by handguns has dropped 30 percent since 1999.
    So they outlawed handguns, and in 9 years they still have 70% of the handgun homocides they had before handguns were outlawed?

And they call this success?

Proof that criminals ignore laws. Proof that gun bans don't work. Proof that law-abiding people need guns to protect themselves against criminals who have guns.

This type of stupidity is depressing. I think I'll go buy another handgun to help me feel better.

Links