The Right Of The People - Shall Not Be Infringed

This is a discussion on The Right Of The People - Shall Not Be Infringed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A good article, with some outstanding references, on the 2A. ESR | June 2, 2008 | The right of the People... shall not be infringed...

Thread: The Right Of The People - Shall Not Be Infringed

The Right Of The People - Shall Not Be Infringed

A good article, with some outstanding references, on the 2A.

ESR | June 2, 2008 | The right of the People... shall not be infringed
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Very good read, thanks for sharing.

My only concern now is that it is too late for the public to do anything with regards to how this was written. We have "allowed" the government to run amok for so long that there is no way a private militia could overthrow it.

NOT THAT I AM ADVOCATING THAT

What I am saying is this, IF the government needed to be overthrown there is no way private citizens can do it. Also IF a private militia were formed and attempted to overthrow the current government how would the rest of us know their intentions were honorable? What would stop us from standing with the government in defense of the nation against what might actually be the GG trying to tople the BG government?

All of this is hypothetical but it makes me wonder, are we too far gone? I love America, my travels all over the World have made me love it more. Personally knowing people who have died defending her has made me love it more. But we have let it go so far, by just doing what we thought is right (working, paying our taxes, and trying to raise a family the nest we can) have we not let the wolves in to the flock? We have people in office who ave been there for 1/2 a century, our founding fathers never intended for elected terms to last that long, that example was laid down by Washington himself.

A good example of this is the fact that we have to sit in an all day class on a Saturday to take a test and ability evaluation to get a license to enable us to carry out our 2A rights that were laid out by the founding fathers of this nation.

Now, I took an oath when I entered the Army to defend this nation against all enemies foreign and domestic, and even though I am now a civilian I feel that I am still bound by that oath. So how does one do that in this day and age? I plan on running for office as soon as I can, I am just not sure where it would be most affective or if I would even get elected. I have a feeling I would be unpopular as I have a tendency to tell it like it is and be truthful; which I know will hurt some feelings. But as many on this forum believe, as far as I can tell, needs to be done.

Hi, I'm Christopher and I am running for public office. Let me lay it out now:

1. I am a Christian
    2. I hold my conservative values closely
    3. I believe in having the chance at life
    4. I believe in the right as laid out by God through our founding fathers to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This includes self defense!
    5. I believe our government should be small and state's rights should be reinstated
    6. I believe ALL MEN are created equal, as ordained by God
    7. I believe if you work for your money you should get to keep more of it, but if you don't work then you have 1 year on welfare; so you better get a job (we would even help with that)

This is just a few of the things that I would stand on, which would make me the target of many attacks, as we have seen in recent years. My answer would be:

I have smoked pot, didn't like it
    I have had several inappropriate relationships, but since I have been married (13 years) there has been only 1 person in my life
    I am a sinner, but I have Christ to stand for me before God
    I cut school as a kid, regret it now
    I have issues, as most Americans do

I just realized I went on a wild tangent.

This article was a good read.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I'd vote for you. But that's just one vote. I think you'll need a few more.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Governments usually don't get overthrown by their own people for political reasons, but for economic reasons.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member

And only when calories available are under 1200 per cap.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Governments usually don't get overthrown by their own people for political reasons, but for economic reasons.
    A political scientist once told me that before a government will be overthrown by its own people, calories per capita must fall below 1200.

The best way to change ours is to run for office or become politically involved.

I've donated nearly 1 K to two candidates this year.
    I've gone to a "reception" for one of them, and my friend shares an office with the other.

And remember, as individuals we are only one voice, our own, and our reps. represent about 500,000 people with competing interests, different viewpoints, different priorities.

For all of our troubles and faults as a nation, we probably are doing about as well as can be expected for a group of 300+ million with incomes from a few thousand to a few billion per year; with religions from atheist to traditional American Indian of one sort or another; with varying interpretations of The Constitution; with vast regional difference in climate and geography.

We are a very long way from 1200 calories per capita.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    We are a very long way from 1200 calories per capita.
    Agreed. And a nice way to put it. i think the wealth of the surrounding area matters too. For example inner city riots may fall a bit in that category. But the vast majority of americans certainly fall into the "fat and happy" category.

The best way to change ours is to run for office or become politically involved.

I've donated nearly 1 K to two candidates this year.
    I've gone to a "reception" for one of them, and my friend shares an office with the other.
    This is in particular true if you consider local politics. It may not be as glamorous to attend a meeting with a local city council candidate then to testify for congress, but local politic usually have a much more direct impact on quality of live.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Links