SC - H 3212 passes, Good/Bad?

This is a discussion on SC - H 3212 passes, Good/Bad? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know the legal terms and steps but it appears that H 3212 (CWP Reprocity) has passed both the House and Senate and is ...

Thread: SC - H 3212 passes, Good/Bad?

SC - H 3212 passes, Good/Bad?

I don't know the legal terms and steps but it appears that H 3212 (CWP Reprocity) has passed both the House and Senate and is to be sent to the Governor. I expect him to sign it but you never can tell. If he doesn't I would doubt that a veto could be over ridden.

SC's new Law will be:
    Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.
    There is still much discussion as to whether this will add reciprocity to SC or remove states. I suspect that SLED will be anxious to add states if possible as this is the law they wanted. If they cannot live up to their promises on this when the legislature reconvenes next year I am sure that those pushing for full recognition will have a field day and get something done quickly.

This version will add Florida to the list of states with SC reciprocity but not Georgia.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Good news to me. If I have to return to the MD/DC/VA area, I'm good all the way up to VA if this is signed into law and FL gets SC reciprocity.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

This could be great news for me. Thanks for posting this. I posted earlier about this same subject. Just received my FL license and have a VA. This allows me to carry in GA. If SC come through I'll have what I need for VA to FL.
    Just found this site for SC Gun info - GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose.
    Last edited by DoubleR; June 6th, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: New info
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

VIP Member
    This is good for all of us I hope. One more state to add.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    That should lead to reciprocity with CO, since CO requires a background check and training course and our rule is "if you recognize ours, we will recognize yours". CO already recognizes only permits of residents of reciprocal states.

What is SLED?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    That should lead to reciprocity with CO, since CO requires a background check and training course and our rule is "if you recognize ours, we will recognize yours". CO already recognizes only permits of residents of reciprocal states.

What is SLED?
    SLED = State law Enforcement Division. State version of FBI.

The states that are supposed to be added are FL, CO, NE, MN and NV for SC residents.

To be added as recognized by SC is : Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming. A reciprocity agreement with West Virginia is pending.

Won't help NH.... :(
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Texas already had reciprocity so won't affect us
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for posting the update - that is great news! I have my FL CCW and have been waiting for SC to recognize it. It is very frustrating that there's not more reciprocity among states.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

It has been ratified and sent to the Govenor for his signature. I expect him to sign it as he has signed all the gun bills so far and it will take effect immediately. Now when SLED will publish the list is anyone's guess but it takes effect immediately so if you are confident that FL fits the criteria then you should be able to carry with a FL permit the day it is signed.

Alright, SC I'm coming to visit.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Alright, SC I'm coming to visit.
    Ron, aren't you already from here?

Links