Newspaper article shows their bias......

This is a discussion on Newspaper article shows their bias...... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will clarify the point, so those that don't know will be more informed. Here, any business with 51% of their sales in alcohol is ...

Thread: Newspaper article shows their bias......

Newspaper article shows their bias......

I will clarify the point, so those that don't know will be more informed. Here, any business with 51% of their sales in alcohol is a drinking establishment, and 51% in food.. it is an eating establishment that also serves alcohol. So, it's hard to tell , if you were legal or not when they banned carrying in "drinking establishments". So, they changed it to say, you cannot get charged ... unless it is "posted" by the business. A clarification in the law to prevent CCH people from inadvertantly violating the law.

After a year of it being that way, there has been absolutely NO incidents in any bar or club involving a CCL person. I don't drink but I do go to some "establishments" that might qualify under the 51% rule.

But, here's the newspaper's take on it though..... (trying to stir up stuff and create an issue ) :
    [B]

Link : Law's omission an ugly surprise for bar owners | Kansas.com
    Wichita Eagle, June 9th, 2008 : LAWRENCE - A 2007 law change allowing concealed-carry permit holders to bring loaded guns into drinking establishments is catching some bar owners by surprise.

Lawmakers made changes to the original 2006 law last year, removing language that flatly banned permit holders from bringing firearms into bars. But few members of the hospitality industry were aware of the change -- or the fact they may have been serving armed customers for a year.

"I don't think anybody who is drinking alcohol should be carrying a gun," said Brad Ziegler, who owns parts of three Lawrence bars and had not heard of the change until told by the Lawrence Journal-World for a story in Sunday's editions. "It won't do anything to help improve their decision making."

While many businesses have posted signs saying that firearms aren't allowed on their property, few bars have gone that direction, which Lawrence bar owner Rick Renfro said was because he thought state law banned firearms from drinking establishments.

That's how the law establishing concealed carry permits worked when it passed in 2006. But during the 2007 legislative session, lawmakers made several changes, including removing the automatic prohibition for carrying firearms into bars. Now, bar owners have to post a sign saying guns aren't allowed.

The law still makes it illegal for permit holder to possess a weapon when their blood alcohol level is greater that 0.08 percent, the same as drunk driving. Also, people without a permit still can't carry a gun into a bar.

Chuck Sexson, the director of the concealed carry program for the Kansas Attorney General's office, said the change was not aimed at encouraging people to mix guns and alcohol but to clarify in which instances a permit holder could be cited for breaking the law by bringing a gun into an establishment that served alcohol. While bars and taverns were banned under the old law, restaurants that served alcohol were not.

"We got a lot of questions about that," he said.

Phil Bradley, executive director of the Lawrence-based Kansas Licenses Beverage Association, said he doesn't support the change but is equally upset that there was no effort to let bar and tavern owners know about the change, which went into effect July 1, 2007. He said he believes many bar owners don't know about it.

"I think all this is dangerous at best," he said.

Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, supported the change and said it's up to groups like Bradley's to get the word out to its members, also noting that the attorney general's office posted changes to the law on its Web site.

"That's not my obligation," Journey said. "They are published with the statute book and published in the Kansas Register. That's public notice, and there certainly was debate in the Legislature."

Most of the media attention last year was focused on a provision prohibiting cities from establishing their own controls on concealed carry permits.

Bradley said he may ask the Legislature in 2009 to change that law back. But that still means bar owners are having to decide whether to post signs specifically saying firearms aren't welcome in their establishments.

"I feel like those signs almost encourage it and make it more of an issue," Renfro said. "I specifically did not put them up because I did not want to bring up the image of a knife and gun club."

2. Remove Ads

Links