Canadian guns.

Canadian guns.

This is a discussion on Canadian guns. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From NRA-ILA - my emphasis in the quote. Bottom line as I see it, whether guns come in from down here or anywhere else - ...

Thread: Canadian guns.

Assistant Administrator

Canadian guns.

From NRA-ILA - my emphasis in the quote.

Bottom line as I see it, whether guns come in from down here or anywhere else - the ''trade'' is criminal driven - and so darned good reason not to try and harass and punish the legal gun owners. Seems they may just be ''getting it''.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...7-6ce21d025122

Guns in Canada not an American problem

The Gazette

Monday, October 31, 2005

After squandering $2 billion on the pointless and useless gun registry, our federal government has now discovered legal guns aren't the main problem after all. Prime Minister Paul Martin, struck by lightning on the road to the next election, discovered last Monday, while the U.S. Secretary of State was on her way to Canada, the real problem is guns smuggled illegally into Canada from the United States.

Justice Minister Irwin Cotler promptly came up with a half-cocked scheme to have the provinces empower Canadians to sue U.S. gun manufacturers whose legal products are used illegally in Canada.

It's quite a doctrine, that. The U.S. Congress, as it happens, has just passed a law shielding gun makers and dealers from liability in many negligence lawsuits; it's a bad law in some ways, but so would be any Canadian law saying the maker of a legal product is responsible for the way it's used. Please do not roll up this newspaper and beat anyone to death, no matter how infuriating you find the editorials: we wouldn't much like to be sued, and that surely wouldn't be far down the road. (As for citizens suing the government in Ottawa for bad decisions, on the gun registry, say, where do we sign up?)

But never mind the lawsuits; let's look at the broader issue. It's no coincidence Martin's new position comes just as a poll identifies fear of random gun violence as the biggest public fear in the Liberal caucus's heartland, Toronto. Ontario Public Safety Minister Monte Kwinter went so far as to say Toronto is under a "blanket of fear."

Police and prosecutors there have just stepped up their anti-gun and anti-gang efforts and will add resources by borrowing additional prosecutors. That makes sense: Toronto's gun violence is mainly gang violence. Mercifully, this problem of shooting sprees has not reached Montreal to the same degree as in Toronto, in part no doubt because police here have had some success against gang culture.

As for guns, it turns out some of the blame for the northward movement of handguns to Toronto, and to some places in Western Canada, belongs in this country.

Canada's Customs Excise Union, which wants armed sentries at border points to protect its members, has dug up some interesting data. It shows between 1995 and 2003, as north-bound border traffic increased greatly, front-line staffing increased by only about 10 per cent, or 717 full-time-equivalents, while staffing at the Border Services Agency's head office more than doubled, adding 540 FTEs.

The Agency notes many of those positions are in intelligence work, created since Sept. 11, 2001, to make the border less porous in response to U.S. security concerns. In all, 11 officers are working full time on hand-gun-interdiction intelligence work. And another 250 front-line workers will be hired soon.

Fair enough. But clearly more needs to be done, and done by Canadians, about gang members' access to handguns.

Because our U.S. friends have such a gun-friendly culture, the problem is an intractable one. But blaming the Americans before we've done our best ourselves, while it may be good politics, is rarely sound policy.

The Gazette (Montreal) 2005
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    well, they made their own laws, so guess they have to live with em . Can't see the canadian govt. getting much money from U. S. gun manufacturers , unless there are laws I am unaware of.

bah aint even worth the effort to say what i think of there laws

Bud White and Rocky ... I think you've both missed the main idea here... the trade of illegal guns FROM the America...To Canada is dominated by and instigated by organized crime (ie THROUGH the US border and into Canada). What is not mentioned is what is exchanged from the north and travels south- drugs !

I think the main issue here is not the inefficient use of Canadian taxes or a policy that has failed miserably to decrease violent gun crime but the flow of guns that penetrate the Canadian border and the drugs that penetrate as easily into the US.

stevr

I thought the only legal guns in Canada when POP! as the cork on the string from the popgun left the barrel for all of 3 ft.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

I Thought...

that Canadian guns were like the French guns...
    pull the trigger and that little 'white flag' pops out of the end?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

actually i thought the only legal guns in canada were the nintendo gun....lmao

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    actually i thought the only legal guns in canada were the nintendo gun....lmao
    Nope, not even that's legal, it starts violent tendancies in kids...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    that Canadian guns were like the French guns...
    pull the trigger and that little 'white flag' pops out of the end?

ret

Actually the French make very good machine guns...surprising as it is

you know they make very good machine guns but they still dont know how to use them!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Canadians do though. Their military isn't half bad.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Actually some Canadian guns are OK. I've got two Para Ordnance 1911's that I really like, don't carry them, but thet are sweet shooting.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Lead Moderator
    Geez, ya mean criminals are breaking the law. Imagine that. Too bad lawmakers and lib's cannot realize weapons in those who obey the law makes criminals jobs much more dangerous.
    I imagine lots of stuff is smuggled in and out of our borders.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    If I'm reading the editorial correctly, I really find it interesting that this newspaper's editors get the fact that firearms are not the problem...criminals are. And this in a nation where the ownership of firearms in severely curtailed. Would that many of our editorial staffs would absorb the same lesson in this country!

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Paul Martin is now our EX-Prime Minister and hopefully never show his useless face again. Now that he destroyed his party, his minions are fighting over the scraps and are a headless entity, which is a state of affairs that we hope continues.

Guns smuggled from the US and Eastern Europe is a major problem here, our organized crime groups ship pot south in exchange for coke and guns. The local PD says that 97% of the guns used in crime here are smuggled in. Back east, 2 guys caught were responsible for 300 guns alone. Customs report that they seized 1500 guns last year being smuggled in, and they only searched 3% of the cargo crossing the border.

Now for us legal gun owners the biggest problem is your guys whacko export laws, any gun part more than a $100 requires a crateload of paperwork and most suppliers and retailer have given up trying to fight their way through the red tape and won’t sell to us. Limiting what we can buy and driving the price up, so much for NAFTA eh? So write your congressman and tell them that your export laws are costing the US gun dealers a large market!!

yeah that is true but they dont care....they want the gun dealers to die and go away. that is what we are tying to keep alive.

Sponsored Links