No Justice for Gun Owners

This is a discussion on No Justice for Gun Owners within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is an update to the BATF arrest for the malfunctioning rifle case, which was just released on the JPFO website: Regional News Briefs Milwaukee ...

Thread: No Justice for Gun Owners

This is an update to the BATF arrest for the malfunctioning rifle case, which was just released on the JPFO website:

Regional News Briefs
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel OnLine
    Posted: June 7, 2008
    MILWAUKEE COUNTY

Reservist loses plea to stay out of prison

A Wisconsin man convicted in federal court of transferring a machine gun has been denied a request to stay out of prison while he fights the conviction. David R. Olofson, 36, of Berlin, who remains a member of the Army Reserve, was convicted by a jury in January and sentenced last month to 30 months in prison.

Olofson's attorney argued that the gun Olofson loaned to another man malfunctioned when it fired multiple rounds and Olofson didn't know it would do that. Olofson, whose case has received widespread attention after coverage on the Lou Dobbs show on CNN, filed an appeal with the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and also asked that he be kept out of prison until that appeal is decided.

In a one-line order this week, a three-judge panel on the 7th Circuit denied Olofson's motion to stay out of prison pending his appeal. Olofson is not in custody and likely won't be called to report to prison until later in summer because of a backlog in getting out-of-custody inmates into federal prison.

Here's the JPFO Link:

... and the original thread can be found here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=olofson
    Last edited by JonInNY; June 11th, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Olofson is not in custody and likely won't be called to report to prison until later in summer because of a backlog in getting out-of-custody inmates into federal prison.
    Does it really work that way? You get sentenced, then go on about your life until they have room for you and then you 'report' to prison? Are they serious?

Not that this guy should be in prison in the first place, but come on...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I think this whole deal is BS. They could take his weapon and inspect it to see that it was not modified to shoot that way. Either something broke or it was just a fluke.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I think this whole deal is BS. They could take his weapon and inspect it to see that it was not modified to shoot that way. Either something broke or it was just a fluke.
    David Olofson, Latest Lou Dobbs Coverage « Justmytruth’s Weblog

I think the other thread mentions most of these facts as well. The deal is, he has an almost 20 year old AR-15 that has a manufacturing defect. He didn't take care of it (says he didn't know about it) and that's what presumably caused the weapon to go auto. Of course, evidence that this was a known defect was blocked by the Judge at the ATF's request.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Moral of this story........DON'T LOAN YOUR WEAPONS.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

1943 - 2009
    Not surprising. The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals is only slightly less liberal than the kings of the left wing Federal judiciary, the 9th Circuit.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It would not be the first time for a worn AR trigger group to let the hammer fall instead of catching it on the disconnector.

I've seen it before - during a DCM match even!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    What kind of country has this become when judges can throw out relevant evidence and testimony before the jury ever knows about it?

No knowledge of a manufacturing defect.

Another case where the defense could not even MENTION the 2A.

Sheesh!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Every owner of a Semi auto AR15, or other rifles and pistols is a potential criminal to the BATF... that's scary.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    It would not be the first time for a worn AR trigger group to let the hammer fall instead of catching it on the disconnector.

I've seen it before - during a DCM match even!
    So BATF agents never came for the guy?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    This guy got royally . The judge looks crooked to me. He's supposed to be impartial, not legislate from the bench. Maybe he can get a pardon from the Gov or President. Given the current Gov of Wisconsin, he might have to wait for the next guy. I'd write a letter to President Bush. Since he's leaving office in the near future, maybe he'll give a pardon on his last day in office. It's worth a try.

Links