Michigan "Safety Inspection" Requirement

This is a discussion on Michigan "Safety Inspection" Requirement within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On June 10th the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to recommend the passage of SB 370 and SB 371. These bills, in conjunction with HB ...

Thread: Michigan "Safety Inspection" Requirement

On June 10th the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to recommend the passage of SB 370 and SB 371. These bills, in conjunction with HB 4490 and HB 4491, which have already been passed by the House, will eliminate the requirement that any pistol purchaser must have the pistol "safety inspected" by the local police within ten days of purchase.

SB 370 was sponsored by Senator Richardville, and SB 371 by Senator Cropsey. About twelve people, excluding the Committee and staff, were present. Following an explanation of the bills by a representative of Senator Richardville, MCRGO's legislative analyst briefly described the difficulties under present law faced by a pistol purchaser and made a plea not only for passage of the current bills but for complete elimination of the pistol purchase permit as well. No one else testified, either for or against these bills.

When these bills and the companion bills are passed by both houses, and the governor signs them, prospective purchasers of pistols will still have to obtain purchase permits from their local law enforcement office. CPL licensees, as is currently the case, will not be required to obtain purchase permits.

Committee members supporting both bills were Senators Kuipers (chairman), Cropsey, Whitmer, Clarke, and Pruse. Senators Sanborn and Patterson were not present.

The bills now go to the full Senate for action.

MICHIGAN COALITION FOR RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS

Getting closer.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Now there's a common sense bill if ever I saw one..... Congratulations, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Now there's a common sense bill if ever I saw one..... Congratulations, and good luck!
    I respectfully disagree...
    I used to live in MI...
    OMO, but just having to GET a permit to buy a pistol is ...

Granted, having to get the (paid for) inspection is totally absurd, getting just the permit is not far behind.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I used to live in MI...

Granted, having to get the (paid for) inspection is totally absurd, getting just the permit is not far behind.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    you don't agree that this is a common sense bill?
    I am sorry you didn't like MI, but as a CC community we have to take one step at a time.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I used to live in MI...

Stay armed...stay safe!

You're right, of course. I guess I should have said, it's a good step in the right direction......and at least ccw holders don't need any additional permit.

Baby steps.......

Michigan is definitely making headway, one step at a time. I think these law maker have done a great job. Keep this truck rolling.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Good Start. At least once you have your CPL you don't need to get permits anymore. Getting rid of that "inspection" will be excellent.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I agree, getting rid of the 'inspection' would be great.

Out of curiosity, what happens under the current law if your weapon fails the 'inspection'? Does that happen?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post

Out of curiosity, what happens under the current law if your weapon fails the 'inspection'? Does that happen?

Brian
    I don't believe it can fail inspection, as there is no inspecting going on. I is actually just a registration scheme. They only even handle the weapon to make sure it is empty and check the serial number, then they do some paperwork. The end.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My several "safety inspections" involved a couple of Otsego county Sheriff's Deputies asking about the pistol being "inspected" and passing it around while the clerk typed the registration form. In the latest instance, the guys, who are good guys mind you, this being a small county, had never heard of CZ although they really liked the P01

While every pro gun change is for the best, what I would like to see is the elimination of pistol free zones here, with the exception of saloons. Guns and booze are a bad mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by jongle View Post
    ... While every pro gun change is for the best, what I would like to see is the elimination of pistol free zones here, with the exception of saloons. Guns and booze are a bad mixture.
    Here in PA I have never ever, not once had any issues while packing in a restaurant that served alcohol or in a bar. Mind you, I never took to the Wild Turkey during those times and I never let my Glock take to the Wild Turkey.

Consuming alcohol and carrying/driving do not mix. Being in an area where others imbibe and the person carrying does not imbibe is about as dangerous as having a designated driver in the bar and serving him/her soda pop.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    What's funny is that the United States doesn't have the authority to pass such a bill. State law pre-empts federal law in matters of public safety, under the Constitution of the U.S. The U.S. can regulate those aspects of gun purchases that affect interstate commerce, but they can't preemptively regulate matters relating to possession or safety. They can pass the statute, if they want to, but Michegan can safely ignore it. Any citizen who is aggrieved by reason of the violation of federal law could file suit against the local chief of police (you can't sue the state you live in) in a United States District Court, which is very likely to say, "so what?".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

You sound so educated...or at least are good with big words yet you cannot spell MichIgan correctly.....
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post

Brian
    Yes it can flunk the safety inspection, but there is no requirement for what if anything is checked. A friend bought a older model S&W revolver and they checked it out. The hammer would drop in the cocked position if you pushed it a little. He had to have it fixed prior to having it registered. New pistols are checked for the correct serial number.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links