Why Liberals Should Love The Second Amendment - a very good read - Page 3

Why Liberals Should Love The Second Amendment - a very good read

This is a discussion on Why Liberals Should Love The Second Amendment - a very good read within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rodc13 Again, it's the problems with the labels. An awful lot of those who claim the sobriquet "conservative" are happy to espouse ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Liberals Should Love The Second Amendment - a very good read

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Again, it's the problems with the labels. An awful lot of those who claim the sobriquet "conservative" are happy to espouse the "big nanny state" when it comes to privacy, religion, expression, jurisprudence, and a host of other issues. Yet will trumpet their 2A support as indicative of how much they're for individual liberty.

Sadly, the liberal/progressive side tends to take the opposite tack. They're all for freedom, except when it comes to speech which might (gasp!) offend someone, and the one right which can guarantee all the others, the right to keep and bear arms.

The labels are thrown around so much as perjoratives that it makes civil discourse problematic. As see (even here on this forum) all too often, it's easier to hurl an epithet than to craft a well-considered statement of one's position.
    Bingo. It's shame we can't have a major party that's across the board for freedoms. Americans are too divided on a few simple social issues.

The article was a good read though. I'll send it to some friends that need a little enlightening.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Bingo. It's shame we can't have a major party that's across the board for freedoms.
    There is no major party, but there is Ron Paul.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

If more liberals

were this well thought they might actually pique my curiosity and interest. And *gasp* I might even vote for someone who believe this way, in spite of being a "liberal."
    I hate how political labels can sway a person one way or another. I really don't care if a politician professes to be a republican or democrat. What matters is if they're going to stand up for our constitution. ALL of it. It's too bad Ron Paul ended his campaign for the presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well said Randy

By your above definition I am a Conservative Libearl
    +1 Well Said!

By all definition I am a "liberal". Not only do I have "liberal" views on many issues, I am a college educated biologist that does environmental contracting... That said...

Like Randy, I have never understood how some of my fellow "liberals" take the views on firearms that they have. I have never for a moment thought that if guns were outlawed crime would drop. It will not. Ever. Its a human condition.

That said, just from a quick glance at some of the comments posted ABOUT "liberals" in this thread give me understanding about why they are so defensive. As a "liberal" it is hard to state your case and position when others are quickly setting up as many straw-men as possible so they can be quickly knocked down. Its aggravating.

I'll stop now as I am pretty sure that we are not supposed to be going on a political rant....

Great article! Thanks for sharing.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links