From NRA-ILA (The Sheep Mentality Demonstrated)

This is a discussion on From NRA-ILA (The Sheep Mentality Demonstrated) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guns or gas? Just fill 'er up Published Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 4:30 a.m. Last updated Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 3:35 a.m. You ...

VIP Member

Guns or gas? Just fill 'er up
    Published Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.
    Last updated Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 3:35 a.m.

You would think, with prices being what they are, that people would jump at an offer of free gas.

Turns out, that is not the case. Given a choice between free gas and a free gun, 80 percent of people will opt for the gun.

At least that's the way it has been playing out at Max Motors, a car dealership in Butler, Mo. To help boost sales, the dealership came up with a novel promotion: Buy a new or used car or truck and take your pick between $250 in free gasoline or a $250 coupon redeemable at a local gun store.

Remainder of the story here:
    HeraldTribune.com - David Grimes - David Grimes - HeraldTribune.com

From later in the article:
    "I guess you could say that I am anti-gun, mainly because I had one pointed at my head in college over a matter that had little, if anything, to do with my world history or literary criticism classes.

"The man with the gun wanted money. Why he came into a college dormitory looking for such a rare commodity, I cannot say. Turned out, I had exactly one dollar in my wallet. He took it, which might have been amusing on some absurd level if it weren't for the fact, as I stated earlier, that he had a gun -- did I mention it was a large gun, something along the lines of a World War II howitzer? -- pointed at my head."

And, skipping a paragraph:
    "The pro-gun sector will probably argue that my terrifying episode is a perfect example of why honest, law-abiding citizens need to pack heat. I'm not sure that would have helped in my case. In fact, it might have gotten me killed.

"Excuse me, Mr. Robber, sir, but could you please lower your weapon long enough for me to rummage through my sock drawer for my 9 mm? I know it's around here somewhere."

"Say what you want about the federal government, OPEC, the oil refineries or the speculators, but you rarely hear of anyone who feared for his life because a gasoline pump was being held to his head. (They prefer to bleed us to death slowly.)"

No notion (or ignoring) the deterrent effect of armed citizens, no acknowledgment that the "gun-free zone" didn't work, etc.

If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

It probably wasn't even loaded when it was pointed at his head.... glad the robber was happy to get $1... guess he wanted to make a phone call at 10-10-1234 (or whatever it is/was).
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

My response:

Regarding your article and the statements therein:
    I guess you could say that I am anti-gun, mainly because I had one pointed at my head in college over a matter that had little, if anything, to do with my world history or literary criticism classes.

The man with the gun wanted money. Why he came into a college dormitory looking for such a rare commodity, I cannot say. Turned out, I had exactly one dollar in my wallet. He took it, which might have been amusing on some absurd level if it weren't for the fact, as I stated earlier, that he had a gun -- did I mention it was a large gun, something along the lines of a World War II howitzer? -- pointed at my head.

The whole gun control debate can seem rather abstract until you're looking into the barrel of one. Then it becomes highly personal.

The pro-gun sector will probably argue that my terrifying episode is a perfect example of why honest, law-abiding citizens need to pack heat.

I'm not sure that would have helped in my case. In fact, it might have gotten me killed.
    "Excuse me, Mr. Robber, sir, but could you please lower your weapon long enough for me to rummage through my sock drawer for my 9 mm? I know it's around here somewhere."

HeraldTribune.com - David Grimes - David Grimes - HeraldTribune.com

While I know that being the victim of a robbery is a traumatic experience, I think your above comments lays bare your lack of understanding of people who chose to undergo efforts to learn how to protect themselves.

Self protection is not merely a matter of a firearm or other weapon; it is a blending of soft skills such as physical fitness, nutrition, situational awareness and assessment, good manners (yes, Iím serious), first aid skills, and at least a reasonable understanding of human anatomy, the psychology of a criminal mine and familiarity with use of force laws with hard skills such as martial arts and firearms.

Iím not sure carrying a handgun in your situation would have been helpful given that I do not know how well or poorly you were observing your environment, if, or how well, you assed the vulnerabilities of your location in terms of area crime rate, frequency of people in your building leaving ingress/egress points opened or unlocked allowing people who do not belong in the building easy access to the occupants, the level of illegal drug usage by the people in that dorm or the measures you took to reduce your exposure to any of the other numerous hazards inherent in a college dormitory filled with young adults, alcohol, drugs and a lack of responsible supervision.

Hard skills, as referenced above, do not function independently of soft skills; indeed, your assumption that a piece of equipment being present or absent as the determining factor in your incident highlights the error in your thinking.

Without soft skills, hard skills will hardly ever be employed effectively; without hard skills, soft skills leave you no reserve to fall back on in the event the soft skills fail.

I believe your position regarding firearms is an emotional one, and your personal experience taken into account, I feel you have but a poor understanding of firearms or the people who lawfully carry them, and I bid you well in your quest to be a more fair, reasonable and credible journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    From later in the article:
    "I guess you could say that I am anti-gun, mainly because I had one pointed at my head in college over a matter that had little, if anything, to do with my world history or literary criticism classes.
    My viewpoint is just slightly different from that of the article's writer, but differences are crucial. Here's mine:

"I guess you could say that I am anti-gun's being pointed at my head."

It's funny how so many folks miss that essential distinction.
    Last edited by rodc13; June 18th, 2008 at 05:53 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    MichellCT - Nice response!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    MichellCT - Nice response!

Well...it was either that or tell him how I truly felt..."Go buy a 6-pack of man, drink up and stop crying."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    The Liberal media mindset is strong with this one.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Well...it was either that or tell him how I truly felt..."Go buy a 6-pack of man, drink up and stop crying."
    I would love to hear the response to that, and I think I may have to use this saying in the future.

I agree the author of this article would have probably gotten himself shot, he is a knucklehead. If you are going to keep your defense stuffed in a sock drawer then you have invited trouble whenever that device is called in to action.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    "I guess you could say that I am anti-gun's being pointed at my head."
    Excellent!
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Links