H.R. 6257, The Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008

H.R. 6257, The Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008

This is a discussion on H.R. 6257, The Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know if this a duplicate, but I couldn't find anything posted here... At any rate, it's important enough for discussion. The following link ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H.R. 6257, The Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008

Exclamation H.R. 6257, The Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008

I don't know if this a duplicate, but I couldn't find anything posted here... At any rate, it's important enough for discussion.

The following link is to the Library of Congress for the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

At least read the "Beginning" link at the start of the page once you click on the link above. This is unbelievable!!!

There are those that believe others who've stocked up on hi cap mags, spare parts, and any evil rifle that they believe may not be available in the very near future are over reacting at the prospect of a Obama nation. I am sure a believer now. He would sign this bill in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Moga; June 18th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

No expert here. Is appendix A a list of additional guns added to the ban? If so, this is the craziest thing I have ever seen.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The ban would include possession, even if it was purchased before the ban took place.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    No expert here. Is appendix A a list of additional guns added to the ban? If so, this is the craziest thing I have ever seen.
    Appendix A is the list of firearms specifically not prohibited by the act, but is not an all-inclusive list.

`(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

`(A) any of the firearms, or replicas or duplicates of the firearms, specified in appendix A to this section, as such firearms were manufactured on October 1, 1993;

`(B) any firearm that--

`(i) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;

`(ii) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or

`(iii) is an antique firearm;

`(C) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammunition; or

`(D) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

The fact that a firearm is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that paragraph (1) applies to such firearm. No firearm exempted by this subsection may be deleted from appendix A so long as this subsection is in effect.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Appendix A is the list of firearms specifically not prohibited by the act, but is not an all-inclusive list.

Thanks matiki, I overlooked that. Still don't feel much better.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Heat View Post
    The ban would include possession, even if it was purchased before the ban took place.
    `(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.
    Not sure I agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Thanks matiki, I overlooked that. Still don't feel much better.
    Agreed... still awful... would have been unbelievably awful were that the case.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

no it wouldn't...not that it's much of a consolation
    `(v)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.

`(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.
    edit:darn I'm slow! :)

But then if you look at the outline above it, some of those could be outlawed also. They take one step at a time. First so-and-so are illegal, then if there is a flash suppressor (included in this ban), then if.... By the time all their additional stipulations are added, we are left with a rubber-band gun.

Distinguished Member
    Sect 2 indicates weapons listed in appendix A to be exempt from the ban.

Edited: Ignore my "Me too" comment. You guys read and write much faster than me.

Not sure I agree with you there.
    I stand corrected. I read it over and over again and must have misread. But one thing's for sure, if they don't with this one and it passes, the next one will.

Senior Moderator
    Not so.

The law is still a load of crap, but at least it doesn't outlaw the possession of what one already owns.

Yes.

The confiscation bill would come later. The Gun Control lobby has learned they must trample the Constitution in small, incremental steps.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It does outlaw any mag capacity over ten rounds not owned prior to the Law Enforcement Act of 1994. That's not good, are you supposed to destroy those bought after that date or become a felon?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton View Post
    It does outlaw any mag capacity over ten rounds not owned prior to the Law Enforcement Act of 1994. That's not good, are you supposed to destroy those bought after that date or become a felon?
    I understand your concern (and the bill is the same awful stuff the gun-banners always spew), but I must ask, how will they know?

Here is the Thomas Bill Summary:
    H.R.6257
    Title: To reinstate the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.
    Sponsor: Rep Kirk, Mark Steven [IL-10] (introduced 6/12/2008) Cosponsors (3)
    Latest Major Action: 6/12/2008 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. COSPONSORS(3), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)

Rep Castle, Michael N. [DE] - 6/12/2008
    Rep Ferguson, Mike [NJ-7] - 6/12/2008
    Rep Shays, Christopher [CT-4] - 6/12/2008

I'm glad to see it only has four sponsors, but that is four too many!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I've written to my representative asking him to oppose. Please do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links