Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED

This is a discussion on Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a good move. Gives more options. I've never seen a criminal open carry and I live in an open carry state and moved ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED

This is a good move. Gives more options. I've never seen a criminal open carry and I live in an open carry state and moved from another.

If I print, no big deal. OC being legal it's a non-issue. If I'm riding my motorcycle and the wind kicks the shirt up exposing my gun, no big deal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

It was all over WOAI talk radio this morning on the way to work. I signed the petition gladly, although I would personally be somewhat reserved about open carrying.

For some reason I just love the idea of surprising the BG with 6 .45acp rounds in the chest and one to the head.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    For some reason I just love the idea of surprising the BG with 6 .45acp rounds in the chest and one to the head.....
    thats cause your just a Romantic...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Texas group wants to carry handguns in plain view

"What are they trying to do?" Leal said. "Go back to Texas gunslinger days?"

LMAO! this is what a resident of dickson city yelled out at a borough meeting last month, a meeting i attended. another member of the "Dickson Dozen" pointed out that texas doesn't allow open carry. it's funny, people really believe that a visible gun is more dangerous than one you don't see...

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I can see one added "benefit" to this law:

If you are "printing" enough for someone to take notice and call the Police the fact that you're "printing" is not illegal.

If my memory serves me, I believe Texas is one of those places where if it is "noticed" that you are "printing" you can be arrested for it.

That may be part of the reason that the people in TX, that I know, are paranoid about "printing".

Biker

I'm one of those paranoid pepole you talk about, I'v had to resort to use a modefied pager pal holster ( I clip my cell phone on it) to avoid printing, i have a dom humme iwb and a fobus padle owb and i print all the time with them for the reasons stated above ( the heat , tee's and shorts ect.) I would not oc but I would like the peace of mind to use my other holsters without the fear of branishing.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Texas Residents Only: Please Consider Signing Petition for Open Carry

M2
    Personally, I am not a fan of open carry. Things are already too stressful when it comes to guns, and concealed carry allows us the right to carry without it causing problems with the sheep.

Instead, I would prefer Texas lift the restrictions on places where concealed carry is not allowed. I understand that private property owners should have the right to exclude individuals from carrying on their premises (even though it means losing customers, but if that is their choice that is their choice); but last Saturday I wanted to run into a liquor store to get a bottle of Jeremiah Weed while my son was in a skateboard shop, and I had to de-arm to legally go in. What the hell, I can carry and buy beer in a grocery store, but I can't go into a liquor store because 51% or more of the revenues are made from alcohol?

I also can't step foot inside my kids' school because of the same restrictions, despite having a CHL, a top secret and higher security clearance from the Federal government, and am a retired military officer. You'd think if they can trust me with the nation's highest secrets, they could trust me to professionally conceal carry around the same people that I spent a quarter of a century protecting?

I'd love to see a Federal concealed carry license that would allow holders to carry in every state, on Federal property and on domestic air travel.

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    Man, some of us must not be reading the same handbook. And, possibly my memory is not correct.

I think there is no no-printing law in Texas. The law prohibits intentional display.
    Could be wrong, but that is my recollection and I have not re-read the handbook. I'm always careful not to print, in any event.

I can not support the petition because I think open carry should be limited to
    rifles, shotguns, and to handguns only if carried by a license holder.

Unlicensed open-carry would make me uncomfortable to say the least. There are plenty of "fine upstanding" citizens who I wouldn't want to meet if open carry were open to all.

I do like the idea of open carry for license holders, though only because it avoids
    "confusion" over what might be an unintentional vs. intentional display.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Man, some of us must not be reading the same handbook. And, possibly my memory is not correct.

I think there is no no-printing law in Texas. The law prohibits intentional display.
    Correct, as I understand it the law prohibits "brandishing" and makes no mention of printing. Now there is always the that sees you print and calls the cops with "this maniac has a gun and is not hiding it" kind of stuff; just not sure how often that happens, guess we will have to monitor chickdiver's thread on "Negative Encounters with the General Public" to see.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    It seems pretty stupid to me. What are you going to do when all the gang bangers who can't qualify for a CHL start carrying openly?

ranburr
    I believe those guys you're talking about are carrying concealed right now.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I'm one of those who won't OC but wishes that everybody else in town did.

Me OC'ing might be invitation to be the first in line to get shot/knocked out... but everybody else OC'ing is either (a) a deterrent or (b) a distraction for criminals... from me.

In any case, you see a few folks other than LEO's open carry in Tucson. Saw a guy biking down Pantano the other day with a mean-looking Glock on his hip. First day in Tucson saw a rancher with a .44 magnum on his hip .

Again, I like it as a deterrent in general, but I won't attract attention by doing so myself. I don't see how *others* OC'ing could possibly harm someone CC'ing.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

i'm no a big poster on this site but i'm always on reading what others have to say. but here's my take on this subject.

*clears throat*

the suprising thing about open carry, as i've noticed it....is how many people don't notice a gun on your hip. i've only had two comments about my XD. one while buying a Coke at a gas staton, and by a mall security gaurd a few weeks ago. i get a few stares here and there at Wal*Mart or home depot, or where ever else i may be.

I OC a good amount, basically whenever i'm not at work, which is just about everywhere, and i've only been asked to leave a mall because it was against the posted rules hidden behind a potted tree. i no longer OC there is all. i've never had the cops called on me, never been hassled by police for reports of a man with a gun.

i think that brandishing law thing is pure crap anyway. i know there are alot of people have a huge huge fear of printing, or their shirt riding up too high for that reason, and the whole 'Tactical Advantage' ideaology, i don't want to get into that debate.

PA is an OC state and here is some info about the laws pertaining to it, which seems they could be applicable in any state.

in PA you do not need a PA License To Carry Firearms to Open Carry on foot. you do however need a valid PALTCF in order to OC in a vehicle or in a 'city of the first class' (Philly) the PALTCF is required for CC. there is also no Disturbing the peace laws in PA. you cannot be detained,searched, id'd for simply open carrying a firearm in PA. i'm still waiting for this to happen to me. i don't wish for run in with the authorities but it is inevitable and it will happen eventually, which sucks that it does even happen.

the best thing to do is try and get the public educated, and more accustomed to seeing firearms being worn by people other than LEO's and that just because law abiding citizens can open carry doesnt mean there will be shootouts in the street every day at noon.

i think there was something, i forget who said it or concerning allowing CC but about the streets will run red with blood because everyone will be pulling their guns on each other and killing each other. ......yeah i constantly have to shoot my way to my car and have highway shootouts on the way to work

know your laws and rights if you do choose to OC, that's my advice.
    it's your rights already being restricted by the government when they only allow CC.

A free American, a law abiding man or woman should be allowed to carry a firearm, any way they want, and to be able to defend themselves and their families in the best way possible however they see fit, whether it be concealed, or open.

-Adam

Carry Where?

We have a carry law in MN and you can decide open or CC with a permit. No problems and riot in the streets. Some of you sound like the news crowd predicting doom if shall carry would became law.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    but last Saturday I wanted to run into a liquor store to get a bottle of Jeremiah Weed while my son was in a skateboard shop, and I had to de-arm to legally go in. What the hell, I can carry and buy beer in a grocery store, but I can't go into a liquor store because 51% or more of the revenues are made from alcohol?
    You can carry in a liquor store. The 51% statute specifically refers to 51% of the revenue coming from the sale of alcohol for ON-SITE consumption. I've never been to a liquor store in Texas that allowed on site consumption, but hey, I haven't been everywhere.

If the store has a 51% sign posted it is posted improperly and should be taken down.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I can see one added "benefit" to this law:

If you are "printing" enough for someone to take notice and call the Police the fact that you're "printing" is not illegal.

If my memory serves me, I believe Texas is one of those places where if it is "noticed" that you are "printing" you can be arrested for it.

That may be part of the reason that the people in TX, that I know, are paranoid about "printing".

Biker
    Here's the official scoop...

PC 46.035.

UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Frequently Asked Questions about Texas Concealed Handguns
    Q: What does concealed mean? Can't I carry my handgun in plain view?
    A: No. The weapon can't be visible, and its presence can't be discernible through ordinary observation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links