Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED

This is a discussion on Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Texas is one of six states in The Union that prohibits open carry while allowing concealed carry. Story linked below: MyFox Dallas | Texas Group ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Petition Started to Make Texas an Open Carry State: MERGED

Texas is one of six states in The Union that prohibits open carry while allowing concealed carry. Story linked below:

MyFox Dallas | Texas Group Wants to Carry Handguns in Plain View

2. Remove Ads

I really want to say, "its about time", but I just don't know how I feel about this one. Having never been around open carry, I guess I am just not acclimatized to it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

its funny and a whole dozen worms

I don't mean to start the whole open/concealed discussion again but i;ll offer this story at the dog park with my mutt in a metro area a guy is open carrying a 1911. everyone only exchanging pleasantries with him until he and his dog leave only to hear a tidal wave of why would you carry a gun around like that. he must be crazy or paranoid, he creeps me out all the like, these are people i converse with usually 2-3 times per week. i responded its perfectly legal in this state and it is his choice all the while carrying my sr9 owb, one reason i carry concealed and don't tell.

It seems pretty stupid to me. What are you going to do when all the gang bangers who can't qualify for a CHL start carrying openly?

ranburr

As far as the gang bangers go, TX could either require you have a CHL to open or CC(thus gang bangers need not apply) or,if they will allow unlicensed open carry, if they have a criminal record they will be arrested. In all of the open carry states you must be legal to own a handgun to be able to carry.
    I highly doubt any of these gang bangers will open carry under any circumstances, and they may think twice going after an armed target. But then again the element of suprise is gone for the GG and thus we have the open/concealed argument so I'll leave it there.
    I do believe they should pass the open carry law, just to avoid anyones shirt riding up and putting them in jail.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    It seems pretty stupid to me. What are you going to do when all the gang bangers who can't qualify for a CHL start carrying openly?

ranburr
    people who don't qualify to CC usually don't qualify to buy a gun legally, anyway. in PA the PICS (penn. instant check system) is the same system the sheriffs use to process applications for LTCFs. if you go to a gun shop, and try to buy a gun illegally, the police will be there in minutes to arrest you. i've seen it!

i doubt a criminal OC, anyway. that kind of goes against the criminal minset of doing things in a sneaky way.

I can see one added "benefit" to this law:

If you are "printing" enough for someone to take notice and call the Police the fact that you're "printing" is not illegal.

If my memory serves me, I believe Texas is one of those places where if it is "noticed" that you are "printing" you can be arrested for it.

That may be part of the reason that the people in TX, that I know, are paranoid about "printing".

Biker

About time. How can Texas not be an OC state? It boggles the mind.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I can see one added "benefit" to this law:

If you are "printing" enough for someone to take notice and call the Police the fact that you're "printing" is not illegal.

If my memory serves me, I believe Texas is one of those places where if it is "noticed" that you are "printing" you can be arrested for it.

That may be part of the reason that the people in TX, that I know, are paranoid about "printing".

Biker
    This is absolutely the #1 reason most Texans signed this petition, IMHO. I was raised in the Upper Midwest but have lived all over Texas for the last 12 years. It gets very hot here for a good part of the year. It is much more difficult to carry concealed when you are sporting shorts & a short-sleeve shirt, than in a place like Ohio, where wearing a jacket much of the year would be perfectly acceptable. It's not uncommon for us to have 50+ degree days in December or January. You just don't have to dress warmly too much here.

That's the first reason why I support this drive. The other reason is that I have become almost 100% convinced that the 2nd Amendment is a civic right, akin to voting or free speech. That being true, this right cannot be moderated or controlled. It just is. Blocking a certain type of carry is like moderating that right. I believe in gradualism, so I can vote Republican & not pull my hair out, as well as get my concealed permit & not get too mad that right now they are moderating my civic right.

Once it passes (I hope it does) into law, I will probably be like most guys & not use it. It's just good to have the option, IMHO.

Good luck to you folks down in Texas. If it happens there, it would likely increase the odds of it happening here. OC/CC debate doesn't apply--again, there is nothing to debate as everyone should have a choice. Good, bad, or indifferent---leave it up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    About time. How can Texas not be an OC state? It boggles the mind.
    The funny thing is I can carry a loaded rifle (non assault type) around openly all day, however foolish to do so, and be legal (providing I am legal in owning this weapon).

I just hope if TX passes an OC law that they don't restrict CC. I actually would like to have the choice, you see I don't really like talking to people I don't know that much and on days I don't want to "chat" while waiting for my tires to be rotated I could just strap on OWB and then I won't be bothered.

As to the post of the bangers carrying open, other than the higher class crooks (mafia, not that they exist or anything) it would be pretty obvious who the legal/responsible people are, IMHO.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Personally, I would prefer to only CC, but the option of OC is attractive for one reason (to me)...an accidental 'display' (from the wind, printing, etc.) would mean nothing...OMO...go TX...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Texas Gun News

Texas group wants to carry handguns in plain view

Associated Press
    Monday, June 23, 200

FORT WORTH -- Despite the Lone Star State's love affair with the gun, there's at least one firearms restriction that some Texans want lifted.

Texas is just one of six states in which handguns can't be worn in plain view. The other 44 states, in the parlance of gun advocates, are known as "open-carry" states.

More than 5,000 people have signed an online petition asking Gov. Rick Perry and the Legislature to permit Texans to wear their handguns without concealing them.

The Texas Citizens Defense League supports the petition, which requests that people who legally buy handguns be allowed to carry them openly, except in places prohibited by law.

"Cowboys and Indians, and the Alamo -- and many just assumed that Texas was an open-carry state," wrote Gary Williams, who signed the petition. "Clearly, there are some changes that need to be made."

John Pierce, co-founder of Open Carry, a Web site promoting open-carry laws, said he considers the ability to wear a holstered firearm on the outside of one's clothes to be "a basic gun right." He also said it's part of Texas' long tradition of gun ownership, dating to when frontier settlers wore their guns for everyone to see.

"It was considered part of everyday life back then," Pierce said in a story Monday in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The concealed-carry part was what was looked at with disdain."

Some law enforcement officials and gun-safety advocates oppose the petition. Tarrant County Constable Sergio DeLeon said the sight of citizens openly carrying firearms would "create more problems than it would solve."

"I really think it would cause a lot of uneasiness in the community, with people seeing so many guns," DeLeon told the newspaper.

Richard Leal, a board member of Houston-based Texans for Gun Safety, said state laws are already friendly enough to gun owners.

"What are they trying to do?" Leal said. "Go back to Texas gunslinger days?"

The Texas governor has not taken a public position on open-carry laws.

"The governor is very supportive of conceal and carry laws," Perry spokeswoman Kristi Piferrer said. "Expanding that to open carry probably will take a lot of public deliberation and legislative guidance."

Here's an addy for a poll if you want to vote:

Texas group wants to carry handguns in plain view : State : Abilene Reporter-News

Poll results as of 0930, 06/24/2008

Should Texas allow people to openly carry handguns?

Yes, if state law is changed and gun owners have a permit. 70% 46 votes

No, the state's concealed handgun laws are fine. 23% 15 votes

No, all handguns should be banned. 6% 4 votes

65 total votes

I just hope if TX passes an OC law that they don't restrict CC. I actually would like to have the choice, you see I don't really like talking to people I don't know that much and on days I don't want to "chat" while waiting for my tires to be rotated I could just strap on OWB and then I won't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    ... and gun-safety advocates oppose the petition. Tarrant County Constable Sergio DeLeon said the sight of citizens openly carrying firearms would "create more problems than it would solve."

"I really think it would cause a lot of uneasiness in the community, with people seeing so many guns," DeLeon told the newspaper.

Richard Leal, a board member of Houston-based Texans for Gun Safety, said state laws are already friendly enough to gun owners.

"What are they trying to do?" Leal said. "Go back to Texas gunslinger days?"
    Calling themselves "Guns Safety" advocates is the biggest lie ever told. They are simply Anti Gun advocates and letting them use that name and reinforcing them in an article by referring to them as "Gun Safety Advocates" just enables them. Bad piece of reporting to let someone call themselves something that they are not. Why not simply report that "Anti Gun" advocates calling themselves Gun Safety advocates oppose it? It is like calling Pro Choice people Pro Abortionists. When most of them certainly are not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links