Texas Senator: National Park and District of Columbia Bills

Texas Senator: National Park and District of Columbia Bills

This is a discussion on Texas Senator: National Park and District of Columbia Bills within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you need a reason to love Texas, this might be it! Dear Mr. Rock and Glock: Knowing your interest in the U.S. National Park ...

Thread: Texas Senator: National Park and District of Columbia Bills

Post Texas Senator: National Park and District of Columbia Bills

If you need a reason to love Texas, this might be it!

Dear Mr. Rock and Glock:

Knowing your interest in the U.S. National Park Service’s gun ban, I wished to contact you with some recent information regarding this issue.

On April 17, 2007, Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced H.R. 1897, the National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007. This legislation prohibits any federal regulation from restricting the possession of a firearm if that regulation covers instances of firearm possession within a National Park. As a strong defender of the Second Amendment, I believe an individual's right to keep and bear arms should be protected. It is by this principle that I will judge H.R. 1897 and any similar legislation that comes before the Senate.

Because of my belief in the continuing need for an effective means for people to defend themselves and their property, I introduced S. 1001, the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act of 2007. This legislation repeals the District's existing handgun ban and restores District residents' constitutionally guaranteed right to protect themselves. My legislation has garnered the support of 42 cosponsors in the Senate. This bill is in line with a March 9, 2007, decision by the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals which declared that the District's gun ban was unconstitutional.

Rather than usurping the rights of law-abiding citizens, I believe we should vigorously prosecute those who use guns to commit crimes. I have worked to enact federal anti-crime legislation to impose tough minimum sentences on those convicted of using firearms to commit crimes, prevent early parole for violent criminals, and provide federal funds to build new prisons and fund local law enforcement. I will continue to support legislation that fights crime while upholding our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you for contacting me and please do not hesitate to keep in contact on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    202-224-5922 (tel)
    202-224-0776 (fax)

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    More importantly, that's a potential GOP VP candidate right there...

I had not heard of S.1001. That's awesome. DC needs to be slapped upside the head by the feds.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    More importantly, that's a potential GOP VP candidate right there...
    In what world?

ranburr

Great letter you received. Did you previously write Kay that instigated that response? Might be interesting to know what you wrote so that others can as well.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    Great letter you received. Did you previously write Kay that instigated that response? Might be interesting to know what you wrote so that others can as well.
    I typically correspond electronically, on a regular basis, with both Texas Senators and my Representative on any matter regarding the Second Amendment. These range from short "I would appreciate your support of _____" to more lengthy type letters.

I pay particular attention to their votes, sponsored bills and authored bills, and always send them "Thank you notes" for their support of the second. I think the follow up thank you notes are as important, if not more important, than the support type letters. My momma brung me up right, ya know!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Although a very good Senator, I believe Kay Bailey mentioned a couple years ago that she is considering running for Governor. I wonder if that is still the case.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Makes one proud to be from Texas.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Sponsored Links