Florida's Gun Law Challenged-"Bring Your Gun to Work" law being heard in court:MERGED

This is a discussion on Florida's Gun Law Challenged-"Bring Your Gun to Work" law being heard in court:MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Simple solution, any company that does not want people to store legal firearms in their car on their property, should do away with the parking ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida's Gun Law Challenged-"Bring Your Gun to Work" law being heard in court:MERGED

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Simple solution, any company that does not want people to store legal firearms in their car on their property, should do away with the parking lot. When you open up your property to employees and the public, your rights will be infringed to a degree. It's a balancing act, but I think it is reasonable to allow people to store their own property in their car. Another option would be for the company to provide safe transportation from the home to the worksite.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    No way. Do I give up my First Amendment rights when I step on your property? How about my Fith Amendment rights, are they gone too, just because I'm on someone else's property? Get real.
    Actually, yes you do. The constitution prohibits the government from interfering with your free speach. Not me. I can give you a list of prohibited topics of discussion, and if you ignore that list, you can leave my property or be charged with trespassing. You do not have a right to be on my property. By coming onto my property you are consenting to subject yourself to the code of conduct for my property.

As a condition of employment I can require you to answer all questions asked truthfully and to the best of your ability. You can comply or you can seek other employment. Since I am not the government and I am not using your self incriminating statement to deprive you of life, liberty, or property. I am simply deciding if you are going to work for me in half an hour or not.

Also you can forget your 4A too. You have no expectation of privacy (as I explain in my employee handbook you signed for on your first day....) If you are using my computer system I can read anything you send or receive over my server. I can monitor your conversations on my telephone. If you don't want me to hear, you can use your cell phone in the parking lot or the phone in the break room. Oh yeah, I can search lockers at any time too.

If you don't like it, don't accept the job.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Here... we're arguing... if it's a public accessible parking lot... then the private property argument loses. It's Companies trying to put their agenda and beliefs over the individual's rights.... and doesn't have a thing to do with "protecting their employees" or any actual private property rights. It's time to tell Companies to quit squashing their employees rights.

VIP Member
    It seems that this case, too, might become a test case for to what level of scrutiny the Second Amendment right rises...private property rights cannot be used to justify race discrimination, due to strict scrutiny; and if SCOTUS says the Second Amendment right rises to that level, then the "it's-my-property" argument is rendered null and void. If the Second Amendment protection is only "heightened scrutiny" or "rational-basis," maybe the private property argument flies. We'll see.

As always, IANAL, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Now all of this will vary from state to state. The scenario I was describing above is for here in Texas which is not a " Right to work" state. I would be an "at will" employer. When I was a union steward back in Maryland we had a lot of these issues come up, and I had to educate a lot of my co workers. Things there were also different in that I was working for the county government, not the private sector, so they were a lot more limited in what they could do as far as rules.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links