DC Mayor and Semi - Page 2

DC Mayor and Semi

This is a discussion on DC Mayor and Semi within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wonder if,even when registered, the handguns have to be dissassembled, ammo separate, the whole 9 yards like with rifles? They may also try to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Mayor and Semi

I wonder if,even when registered, the handguns have to be dissassembled, ammo separate, the whole 9 yards like with rifles?
    They may also try to extort large "registration fees," for handguns. Also, with this "amnesty period," it sounds like you can legally register the handguns for a while, but afterward you won't be able to(going back to all out ban).
    I don't think the decision had much clarity. DC will try to find backdoor avenues around this.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

... said Dennis Henigan, vice president for law and policy at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. "This decision gives the constitutional green light to a wide range of life-saving gun laws."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I wonder if,even when registered, the handguns have to be dissassembled, ammo separate, the whole 9 yards like with rifles?
    They may also try to extort large "registration fees," for handguns. Also, with this "amnesty period," it sounds like you can legally register the handguns for a while, but afterward you won't be able to(going back to all out ban).
    I don't think the decision had much clarity. DC will try to find backdoor avenues around this.
    I think what he's saying with the amnesty period is that they're not going to enforce registration violations for a period of time. i.e. you buy a gun, don't register it, then get caught with it later. At some point amnesty will end and you'll have broken the law by not registering the gun.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I don't know, something tells me that not too many people will be jumping in line to get their guns registered.

Also, I'm not sure how this decision did all that much for the rest of us. Many of us already live in right-to-carry states, so in some ways it seems like this SCROTUS, I mean, SCOTUS ruling might actually send a signal to certain people that the registration of guns is ok.

My fear is that we won't really get our gun rights back until we're willing to employ violence to defend them.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Thats the existing system that was tossed out.
    I believe what was tossed out was more this, than the regulations on sales and the licensing of dealers.

§ 22-4514. Possession of certain dangerous weapons prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife, or metal knuckles, nor any instrument, attachment, or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearms; provided, however, that machine guns, or sawed-off shotguns, and blackjacks may be possessed by the members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States, the National Guard, or Organized Reserves when on duty, the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty, marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen, or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers, including any designated civilian employee of the Metropolitan Police Department, or officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons, banking institutions, public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables, wholesale dealers and retail dealers licensed under § 22-4510.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I believe what was tossed out was more this, than the regulations on sales and the licensing of dealers.
    I'm not sure which of us is confused. D.C. has to rewrite their regulations. The regulations you've been posting are part of the case that was made against D.C. They didn't have an outright ban, they had a registration requirement that effectively banned guns because the registration would always be denied. I'm not sure why you're posting their current regulations.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Okay bear with me and close your eyes....okay close one eye so you can read this,If they actually had people like us in cities as Governators ,mayors,congressmen,senators,police chiefs etc.We would not need the Supreme court to decide the 2nd amendment or what you can carry, if you can own it ,and if you shoot a BG wishing to rob you or do you harm if you will go to jail because some yahoo feels you should just be a good victim and report the crime to the police that may or may not make an arrest .I can see where in washington DC they will now say ok you can have a gun but posession of ammo is illegal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay bear with me and close your eyes....
    I closed my eyes but nothing happened... was there supposed to be an audio track in the background or something?

Matiki,
    So all D.C. has to do to comply with the court is to start approving the registrations. Right?

Did the court say that the mayor must approve license applications to sell firearms in the city? Did the court say that city must allow gun dealers to put up signs on their buildings advertising themselves as such?

This case was about the District denying residents the right to posess a handgun in their own home for self defense. Not about zoning laws and the first ammendment.

If the supreme court finds that the section of the transportation article allowing capital punishment for turning right on red without stopping is excessive, that does not mean the fine for exceding the speed limit by 1-9 mph is also tossed.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The D.C. Circuit Court will be charged with writing the injunction against existing D.C. laws based on the decision handed down in Heller. This is likely to take a month or two. This is important, since it was that Court that originally overturned the D.C. laws as flatly unconstitutional. They will have the say as to what part of current D.C. code needs to go.

Granted, D.C. can try to put new laws in effect, but since they will be under great scrutiny as to how they deal with this, and the most immediate remedy to any shenanigans on their part will be the self-same D.C. Circuit Court, Fenty may not be able to foot-drag quite as much as he'd like.

I think sales are the big issue. You need an FFL dealer for a transfer across state lines, or to sell in D.C. Where are legal guns going to come from, even if they are technically allowed to be registered? Are there any FFLs in D.C. who could sell or transfer guns to law-abiding citizens?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Thats the thing. There are a couple of licensed dealers in the city that cater to LEOs and security companies. These companies and the cops know who they are. The city is not required to make it easy for us to find a gunshop. to comply with the law all they have to do is allow one to be open. If we can't find it that's our problem. They can easily control how many there are by zoning laws. Montgomery County Maryland basically put one dealer out of business by saying you cant sell guns within a certain distance of a school. Here in Houston they are putting most of the "sexually oriented businesses" out of business with similar laws. To make things tougher here, not only do they have to be a set distance from any school or church, they also have to be a certain distance from each other.

Matiki,
    So all D.C. has to do to comply with the court is to start approving the registrations. Right?

Did the court say that the mayor must approve license applications to sell firearms in the city? Did the court say that city must allow gun dealers to put up signs on their buildings advertising themselves as such?

This case was about the District denying residents the right to posess a handgun in their own home for self defense. Not about zoning laws and the first ammendment.

If the supreme court finds that the section of the transportation article allowing capital punishment for turning right on red without stopping is excessive, that does not mean the fine for exceding the speed limit by 1-9 mph is also tossed.
    Look, I think I understand your position, but I was not talking about where you buy your guns, that's a different ball of wax which, as you pointed out, was not addressed by the ruling.

Thats the thing Matiki, these guys are experts at "playing the game". I grew up in the D.C. suburbs and was constantly amazed at the way people inside the beltway can twist things.
    Mayor Marion Barry caught on videotape smoking crack with a hooker....
    How dare the F.B.I. endanger his life by actually letting him inhale before they broke into the room! Don't they know he could have had a fatal heart attack from that one hit?!?!?! This just goes to show how little regard the F.B.I. has for the safety and well being of a black man! etc. etc. etc.

No matter what logic and reality dictate, once you cross the District line, its a crap shoot!

Matiki,

The licenses are permitted so long as they are not issued in an "arbitrary and capricious manner", as Scalia stated when discussing what Gura considered "acceptable." Now banning dealers is a zoning issue and not addressed but if the City of DC makes it impossible for a normal person to purchase a weapon because they must do so only in DC and DC has eliminate all dealers the city will loose another case. This would be up there with the literacy tests and other restrictions put on blacks in the south to vote before the Civil Rights movement. The gov't cannot acknowledge your right to do something and then make it impossible to do so.

Let DC ban semis. Let DC refuse to allow weapons from outside DC be registered while refusing to allow dealers in DC. Let DC impose high fees which discriminate against the poor.

DC is the perfect place for each of these pieces of nonsense to be put forward because it is the fastest path back to the SCOTUS and must go through the same courts which already struck down the ban in the first place.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    DC is the perfect place for each of these pieces of nonsense to be put forward because it is the fastest path back to the SCOTUS and must go through the same courts which already struck down the ban in the first place.
    Actually, this is a good point. For one thing, I think follow-on suits won't even get past the D.C. Circuit. Odds are the SCOTUS won't want another 2A case soon, so they'll just deny cert when the Circuit slaps D.C.'s wrists and allow the lower court ruling to stand.

If D.C. goes through a round or two of this, the Brady Bunch will be begging Fenty to stop before every form of gun control gets shot down...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links