ALEC Adopts "Campus Personal Protection Act!"

This is a discussion on ALEC Adopts "Campus Personal Protection Act!" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friday, June 27, 2008 The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is an organization comprised of public and private sector members (largely made up of state ...

Thread: ALEC Adopts "Campus Personal Protection Act!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

ALEC Adopts "Campus Personal Protection Act!"

Friday, June 27, 2008

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is an organization comprised of public and private sector members (largely made up of state legislators and corporate/association government affairs representatives) from all 50 states that share common support for free market principles and individual liberties.

On Monday, June 23 the model for "Campus Personal Protection Act,Ē previously discussed in May at ALECís Spring Task Force Summit, was officially adopted as model legislation. Brought forth by NRA-ILA, the act calls for the repeal of state restrictions on the possession of firearms by valid concealed handgun licensees on college and university campuses and preempts governing bodies of postsecondary educational institutions from imposing such restrictions on permit holders.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    This is Federal legislation?? It makes me wary but man its hard not to get excited about things like this. I followed the one here in AZ pretty closely.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Friday, June 27, 2008

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is an organization comprised of public and private sector members (largely made up of state legislators and corporate/association government affairs representatives) from all 50 states that share common support for free market principles and individual liberties.

On Monday, June 23 the model for "Campus Personal Protection Act,Ē previously discussed in May at ALECís Spring Task Force Summit, was officially adopted as model legislation. Brought forth by NRA-ILA, the act calls for the repeal of state restrictions on the possession of firearms by valid concealed handgun licensees on college and university campuses and preempts governing bodies of postsecondary educational institutions from imposing such restrictions on permit holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    This is Federal legislation?? It makes me wary but man its hard not to get excited about things like this. I followed the one here in AZ pretty closely.
    I'm pretty certain this a "think tank," and given its description in OP, a relatively conservative one. I doubt there will be a rush to enact their proposals, but I could be wrong....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Not surprising and, unfortunately, not exciting.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Not surprising and, unfortunately, not exciting.
    Not in college, are you? To those of us that are and are forcibly disarmed on campus - these items are a huge deal for us. Every small victory counts.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Not in college, are you? To those of us that are and are forcibly disarmed on campus - these items are a huge deal for us. Every small victory counts.
    I hear you there!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Actually I am in college, and I am extremely unhappy about spending seven hours a day unarmed. It's particularly surprising as my school is vehemently conservative, accepting no federal or state funds, and is currently building a world class outdoor shooting range. We can keep them in cars and off-campus, but that's it. And it's 100% zero tolerance.

Still, ALEC being pro-2A not exciting, any more than it's surprising or exciting when the NRA opposes gun control. Free market think-tanks naturally support gun rights. This is a good thing, but when people who already supported something continue to support something... nothing has changed.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Then I really don't understand how you can't at least show some interest in it. The model legislation they are talking about, in conjunction with the NRA, could be something well worth considering as more then a whimsical ho-hum. This is the same kind of tactic the antis have been using against us for years with their microstamping BS. Its a model to be presented to each state where the atmosphere may be ripe for it. Considering Utah and Colorado already have similar bills enacted, I think they have a good chance (better than most) here in Arizona. But hey.. just my opinion.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Unhappily disarmed Floridian here who also works on campus....Hope something comes of this.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

This is very important to me. I still have many years of school left. Concealedcampus.org. Good group to keep up with this issue.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Links