San Francisco gun ban - Page 2

San Francisco gun ban

This is a discussion on San Francisco gun ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From NRA-ILA today - NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging San Francisco Gun Ban Fairfax, VA - Even with opposition from San Francisco law enforcement and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assistant Administrator
    From NRA-ILA today -
    NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging San Francisco Gun Ban

Fairfax, VA - Even with opposition from San Francisco law enforcement and major media outlets, Proposition H -- a measure banning the lawful possession, sale and manufacture of handguns and ammunition within city limits -- passed yesterday. The National Rifle Association (NRA) will file a lawsuit challenging this severe gun ban.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre stated, We are disappointed, but this fight is just beginning. Lawful residents of San Francisco are being stripped of their freedom because of an illegal measure that defies common sense. We will fight this outrageous assault on the rights of law-abiding San Franciscans and I believe that we will prevail.
    Silver Lining In San Fran Gun Ban
    JohnLott.com

"The silver lining was how forcefully many organizations such as the police came out against the gun ban," writes John Lott.

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/op-eds/N...Ban110905.html
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Here are the results from here.

ELECTION SUMMARY SAN FRANCISCO UNOFFICIAL RESULTS
    CONSOL SPECIAL STATEWIDE
    ELECTION NOVEMBER 8, 2005
    RUN DATE:11/09/05 03:17 PM

VOTES PERCENT

PRECINCTS COUNTED (OF 578). . . . . 578 100.00
    REGISTERED VOTERS - TOTAL . . . . . 428,481
    BALLOTS CAST - TOTAL. . . . . . . 167,465
    VOTER TURNOUT - TOTAL . . . . . . 39.08

MEASURE H
    YES . . . . . . . . . . . . 89,759 57.92
    NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . 65,214 42.08

Quick analysis shows that 39% of residents voted and of those almost 58% approved the gun ban. So an almost 16% gap.

The 9th Circuit will hear any appeals and will undoubtably uphold the ban as they are the most leftist court in the land. This could wind up on the Supreme Court's door step.

If the ban is upheld I hope they get everything they asked for. Possibly the per capita murder rate will surpass DC so it will no longer be the murder capital of the US. I see this as great news for DC.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    Here is the text of the Proposition as passed. I also pasted it below. I always try to put a link to the source so it can be verified.

-Scott-

Firearm Ban

PROPOSITION H

Shall the City ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and ban City residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco?

Digest

by the Ballot Simplification Committee

THE WAY IT IS NOW: State law regulates the manufacture, distribution, transport, import, sale, purchase, possession and concealment of firearms within California. The City and County of San Francisco further regulates the sale of firearms and prohibits the sale or transfer of certain types of firearms within San Francisco.

THE PROPOSAL: Proposition H is an ordinance that would ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco.

Proposition H also would prohibit San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco. An exception would allow residents to possess handguns if it is required for specific professional purposes. For example, San Francisco residents who are security guards, peace officers or active members of the U.S. armed forces would be permitted to possess handguns.

The Board of Supervisors would be required to enact penalties for violation of this ordinance.

Proposition H would take effect January 1, 2006. Until April 1, 2006, residents could surrender their handguns to any district station of the San Francisco Police Department or the San Francisco Sheriff's Department without penalty.

The Board of Supervisors could amend this ordinance by a two-thirds vote (66.7%) if it determined that its amendment would further reduce handgun violence.

A “YES” VOTE MEANS: If you vote “yes,” you want to ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and you want to prohibit—with limited exceptions—San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco.

A “NO” VOTE MEANS: If you vote “no,” you do not want to ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and you do not want to prohibit—with limited exceptions—San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco.

This just goes to show you how many people can be brain washed. These leftist congregations like San Francisco are bad guy fantasylands waiting to happen. Why is such a simple thing as BGs not following laws to obtain guns such a difficult concept for some people to grasp?

This lack of basic logic is astounding.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    The more I mull this over the more it really gets to me.

''Defenceless in San Francisco" - the next movie to come out of that city, highlighting the new open season for criminals, where now with impunity they can expect to invade homes and rob and expect little armed resistance.

For the possible minority who hold on to their means of protection - heaven forbid they should use them to save lives of themeselves and family - because it'll be like NYC or Chicago or DC - they'll still be alive but heading straight for jail.
    Chris - P95

This whole thing is really getting to me, especially since I live and work 10 miles from San Francisco. I'm just waiting for it to trickle down to the neighboring countys. Time to move. California sucks for gun owners. I'm boycotting SF.

What, if anything, is the official policy towards those who already have guns? Is there a buy back program, are gun owners going to find places to store their gun outside the city (a good oportunity to start a new business... gun storage facility), are the police going to do a record search to find out who owns gun then do home raids and searches to look for them? Are registered gun owners going to be forced to show proof they DON'T own a gun now? What about gun shop owners (are there any left in SF?), sporting goods stores and other firearms related businesses and their employees, are they going to be compensated for the elimination of their livelyhoods? What a slippery slope!!

I do find it interesting that the proposal passed, though the news media and the police were against it and even the mayor doubted it would work. We as gun owners should take a hard look at this and consider it a lesson learned. Voter turnout was only 39% and the law passed by a narrow margin. I'm sure there are thousands of gun owners in SF and if they all had voted against it, the proposal would have lost by a handy margin. We cannot depend on others to watch out for our freedoms when they are threatened and as gun owners, we must cover our own collective butts when out 2A rights come under attack.
    Last edited by rachilders; November 10th, 2005 at 05:31 PM. Reason: edit
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Moderator
    I've been told that the state of California does have a preemption law that states that a city cannot enact a law that is stricter than that of the state.

Since firearms are still legal in California, the city of San Francisco cannot enact a law that bans private ownership of handguns.Therefore, the newly passed law is considered null and void as it is an illegal law.

Many states have this law, my own being one of them. Sometimes the powers that be in the big citys forget that they are part of a bigger world and it is for this reason exactly that such preeemption laws came into existence.

Assistant Administrator
    I think that law is all that has stopped Philadelphia thus far tho - by all accounts they are trying hard to ''tighten up''!!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    I've been told that the state of California does have a preemption law that states that a city cannot enact a law that is stricter than that of the state.

Since firearms are still legal in California, the city of San Francisco cannot enact a law that bans private ownership of handguns.Therefore, the newly passed law is considered null and void as it is an illegal law.

Many states have this law, my own being one of them. Sometimes the powers that be in the big citys forget that they are part of a bigger world and it is for this reason exactly that such preeemption laws came into existence.
    You said it brother. Denver had a fit when preemption law passed here and spoiled there little "home-rule" party. They fought it in court and for the most part lost. I suspect San Frans self-rightous crap will end up in a higher court also.

Oh, and as mentioned in a previous post above, the new law by no means includes the hollier-than-thou "special people"...remember the hypocrite Rosie O'donnell and her gun-totin' bodyguard!!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links