Baghdad, Iraq is safer than Chicago and DC

This is a discussion on Baghdad, Iraq is safer than Chicago and DC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the Supreme court acknowledged what our founding fathers clearly defined for us quite a long time ago, the citizens right to bear arms cannot ...

Thread: Baghdad, Iraq is safer than Chicago and DC

So the Supreme court acknowledged what our founding fathers clearly defined for us quite a long time ago, the citizens right to bear arms cannot be taken away. The reason it made it to the Supreme Court is due to Washington D.C. denying it's citizens the right to bear arms. You would think the courts ruling would carry some weight but apparently DC is going to stir it up. Here are a few quotes and links that should really concern every law abiding gun owner:

Link and text to **** you off: Targeting The Supreme Court, How A Libertarian Who's Never Owned A Gun Brought The Decisive Case On The Second Amendment - CBS News

Washington mayor Adrian Fenty's disappointment was palpable. "More handguns in the District of Columbia will only lead to more handgun violence," he said.

AND

Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley, bracing for an attack on his city's gun law. He said the Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller is "very frightening" for America.

"Why don't we do away with the court system?" Daley said. "The old West - you have a gun and I have a gun and we'll settle on the street."

My response to this: Chicago and DC are full of ruthless thugs preying on the unarmed citizenry. Arming the innocent will only deter crime. Hey Chicago mayor, how about this stat about how safe your city is:

Chicago, which passed a gun ban similar to D.C.'s 25 years ago, had 325 gun homicides last year!

Not to good huh mayor? Sounds like Iraq is a safer place than Chicago.

Hey mayor. Guess what? If you let your citizens own and carry guns that statistic could have been reduced, if even by one and that would be SUBSTANTIAL! But instead you insist that the citizens should leave the crime deterring to the cops who, due to the law of reality, can't be everywhere all the time!
    Last edited by mrgreentie; June 29th, 2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    --- Learning to reload.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I remember reading someplace that actually the title of this thread is true..

Maybe I am wrong in the memory but the statistic said that an /American/ was less likely to be killed in Baghdad than in the top murder towns in the US. The stat was based on deaths per 100,000.

Anyone else remember seeing this figure? Maybe I'm going nuts. Its gotta be more than a year or two old at this point.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreentie View Post
    "Why don't we do away with the court system?" Daley said. "The old West - you have a gun and I have a gun and we'll settle on the street."

[u]My response to this:[/u] Chicago and DC are full of ruthless thugs preying on the unarmed citizenry. Arming the innocent will only deter crime.
    Yeah, and the criminals NOT in office are pretty dangerous, too.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

B52
    I guess...at least in Bagdad we were armed to the teeth v.s. Chicago being unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    I guess...at least in Bagdad we were armed to the teeth v.s. Chicago being unarmed.
    Thanks for your service to our country! And you're right, at least in Baghdad you were armed. The citizens in Chicago must feel so helpless. If they don't they must be liberals who believe if they raise taxes to give more to those who refuse to work that they will quit robbing and killing the working class. Oooops, sorry for the soapbox rant but it amazes me that those who want to give our income to the poor refuse to believe that their is a real crime problem and disarming us is not the answer. I really feel like they think we can bribe the poor and desperate out of crime???
    --- Learning to reload.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Could you imagine a law in Baghdad like the one in Chicago??? Soldiers forced to patrol with handguns. Anyone else with a gun goes to jail... Yeah because I'm sure the Jihadists will suddenly become worried about going to jail. Geez. Firing on an American patrol brings an overwhelming response of angry death as it stands. I like that. Its the way it should be.

It kinda comes back to the phrase 'Violence begets violence.' My mom said that to me once about carrying. I told her "You're right. If someone brings violence upon me or my own you had better believe they will get an overwhelming amount of it back at them. Until then, there is no violence and no problem." She stared at me like I had kicked her cat.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

--- Learning to reload.

Sponsored Links