NO Guns stores in DC but LOOK WHO HAS A LICENSE!!!! - Page 3

NO Guns stores in DC but LOOK WHO HAS A LICENSE!!!!

This is a discussion on NO Guns stores in DC but LOOK WHO HAS A LICENSE!!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I still don't get why he would jump through the hoops and pay the fees for a license. What does he get out of it? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I still don't get why he would jump through the hoops and pay the fees for a license. What does he get out of it? Why would he care if he lost it?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member

Other ideas

Why not also start a blitz of LTE around the country?

See if we can get a little publicity nationally, outside our own ranks.

Also, how about a blitz of letters to BATFE asking what inspection records reveal and if he is in violation, why the privileged status?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I still don't get why he would jump through the hoops and pay the fees for a license. What does he get out of it?

To attend events that require a FFL?

Why would he care if he lost it?
    Because of the publicity, if we can make it happen.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I still don't get why he would jump through the hoops and pay the fees for a license. What does he get out of it? Why would he care if he lost it?
    Because he is VPC's (i.e., Brady Bunch's) ticket into trade-only gatherings and fora.

And if it gets taken away then the Brady Bunch gets a black eye. That's plenty good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    Did you realize that you have certified to the government that your FFL is a "principal source of livelihood and profit?"
    Exactly, sir, and that is how the antis, with the help of a Clinton BATFE, put a lot of small FFLs out of business. So, making an issue of Sugarmann's license is nice way to hoist the punks by their own petard!

(Petards, being Destructive Devices, are of course illegal and non-registerable in the District according to DC Code § 7-2501.01(7)...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Exclamation

Does that not give them full access to the NICS???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    My question is, if they do not have any FFL dealers in DC, how did the people purchase the long guns they were allowed to own?
    See: LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.2:2

B
    5. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, rifles and shotguns may be purchased by persons who are citizens of the United States or persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence but residents of other states under the terms of subsections A and B upon furnishing the dealer with proof of citizenship or status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence and one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the person's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
    and

C. No dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any firearm, except when the transaction involves a rifle or a shotgun and can be accomplished pursuant to the provisions of subdivision B 5 to any person who is not a resident of Virginia unless he has first obtained from the Department of State Police a report indicating that a search of all available criminal history record information has not disclosed that the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm under state or federal law. The dealer shall obtain the required report by mailing or delivering the written consent form required under subsection A to the State Police within 24 hours of its execution. If the dealer has complied with the provisions of this subsection and has not received the required report from the State Police within 10 days from the date the written consent form was mailed to the Department of State Police, he shall not be deemed in violation of this section for thereafter completing the sale or transfer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    My question is, if they do not have any FFL dealers in DC, how did the people purchase the long guns they were allowed to own?
    I understand it used to be that long guns, unlike handguns, could be bought in neighboring states as long as they're contiguous. I've heard that restriction has been dropped from federal law, although many states still have that language in state firearm laws. Under that standard DC residents could purchase in MD and VA, unless DC forbids it (it probably does/did).

Here's the relevant section of GCA of 1968 ATF - The Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618:

§ 178.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State;

(b) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a rifle or shotgun obtained from a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector in a State other than the transferee's State of residence in an over-the-counter transaction at the licensee's premises obtained in conformity with the provisions of § 178.96(c); and

(c) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with the provisions of §§ 178.30 and 178.97.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Did you realize that you have certified to the government that your FFL is a "principal source of livelihood and profit?"
    Methinks you misunderstand.

There's a difference between what you wrote and "with the principal objective of livelihood and profit".

In other words, they just want you to be running it as a BUSINESS, rather than as a HOBBY.

(no reason it can't be both)

I am aware of three FFL holders in my community. Firearms sales are the primary SOURCE of profit for only one.

Does an FFL allow you to buy a fully auto weapon?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Certain FFL's do but probably not the one that they have.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Any updates from those who contacted Mr. Sugarman? This was a great find....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Not anymore IRRC. The ATF shut down that one under Clinton. Now you must have a commercial space to have an FFL..... which means that VPC is registered in ATF as a Gun Store.
    Absolutely false. No where in any federal law regarding the licensing of FFL does it state that it must be a commercial space. It says "premises". You can't get an FFL for a PO Box or parking lot. It must be a building. There is a space on the FFL to check if you are in a residential dwelling.

I am a home based FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    ATF will only issue a FFL if you are properly zoned. You can do it out of your home if you are zoned for small business (or whatever it's called in your neighborhood)
    Correct. In my village, there are no zoning regulations so I'm good to go with just the FFL.

Does that not give them full access to the NICS???
    Full access to NICS for background checks only. It isn't a searchable database for FFLs. FFLs can only use the NICS to request a background check that the FBI performs.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    No. Machine guns are subject to a transfer tax payable on change of ownership. You do not need a license and there is in fact no license to obtain one. There are state laws prohibiting ownership unless you are an FFL that has paid the SOT (special occupational tax) to import, deal in, or manufacture NFA weapons. I am a type 07 FFL (firearm manufacturer) and a SOT class 2 (NFA firearm manufacturer). This means I can deal in and manufacture both Title I and Title II (NFA) weapons, as well as ammunition and components for ammunition. The only thing I can't deal with or manufacture is destructive devices. That's a different FFL.

Here's an article on NFA weapons:

Site Name - Articles - Firearms - NFA Weapon History

Here's a list of all NFA weapons that an individual may own.

Freakshow Manufacturing LLC
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

NFA...What does the N stand for???
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

national firearms act of 1934
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Anybody hear back from HIM?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links