Defensive Carry banner

Non Resident Licensing?

745 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sgtD 
#1 ·
I am a United States citizen currently NOT living in the USA. I have non resident permits from several states, however, there are several states that will either NOT issue non resident permits or that will not recognize non resident permits.

The decision of the SCOTUS this week would seem to indicate that "We the People" are entitled to the rights granted under the second amendment and therefore TO SIMPLE BE A UNITED STATES CITIZEN grants us the privilege, regardless of residence.

I am wondering, since I belong to such a small interest group of citizens who live outside of the USA for reasons of business or family for the time being... and am thus presently not seeing my right to bear arms....

Does anyone see a route for citizens in my position to take in order to obtain our 2A rights as citizens of the United States of America regardless of residence?

Granted, that in most cases all I need to do is purchase a piece of property and present a utility bill to obtain a resident license, etc., but that does not seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the 2A nor the recent supreme court decision.

Suggestions/Comments? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Canadian Government doesn't give a whit about your rights under the U.S. Constitution. You're living in their country, subject to their laws.

Does anyone see a route for citizens in my position to take in order to obtain our 2A rights as citizens of the United States of America regardless of residence?
Other than moving back to the USA, the answer is no.

#3 ·
The Canadian Government doesn't give a whit about your rights under the U.S. Constitution. You're living in their country, subject to their laws.

Other than moving back to the USA, the answer is no.

Sorry. Perhaps I was not making myself clear. Of course I do not carry in Canada but only in those states of the union where my several non resident permits allow me to do so.....

There are a few states where even though one is a U.S. CITIZEN their 2A rights are disallowed because they are not U.S. RESIDENTS (capitalization for emphasis of difference).

My thread had to do with all things U.S. of course and NOT carrying in Canada where there are very very few permits issued for any reason whatsoever, except to protect cash and valuables as a Brinks truck driver.

Sorry for the confusion.:twak:

#4 ·
Granted, that in most cases all I need to do is purchase a piece of property and present a utility bill to obtain a resident license, etc., but that does not seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the 2A ....
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :yup: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

However, don't see how that is any different for you (as a more remote non-resident) than it is for the rest of us (as CONUS non-residents) traveling in those very same States. Check out the ongoing discussion in a couple of threads about SC.

Don't think Heller will have any direct application.

But we can hope the ball keeps rolling.

#6 ·
The Heller decision says you have a right to have a gun in your residence, it did not address anything regarding carrying of firearms outside of the home. States have regulatory Police Power under their own laws. As long as the state law does not abridge the constitutional rights of citizens, there is nothing SCOTUS can do about it. When SCOTUS delivers an opinion that says you have a constitutional right to carry a concealed firearm, (which they should do, but probably never will in my lifetime), re-post this question. But for now, I believe the ruling is irrelevant to your situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.