Heller and Switchblades?

Heller and Switchblades?

This is a discussion on Heller and Switchblades? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In many states (such as Colorado) Switchblades are completely banned. As are other types of knives (butterfly knives, so-called gravity knives, etc..). I'm curious as ...

Thread: Heller and Switchblades?

Heller and Switchblades?

In many states (such as Colorado) Switchblades are completely banned. As are other types of knives (butterfly knives, so-called gravity knives, etc..). I'm curious as to whether or not people who have read the Heller opinion think that it might apply to "arms" other than firearms? What do you all think? Do I have grounds now to pursue the overturning of the Colorado law on Automatic knives?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

No.

You could still move to FL though......

BPR,

By definition 'arm' means device/tool of use as a weapon toward defense or offense, and that definitely includes knives along with machete, bow, air/pneumatic guns, as well as hoes, hammers, bats, and any other thing as well as firearms too.

And I'm dead serious in regard to farming implements, as the Chinese learned to adapt and use with great and legendary success centuries ago toward citizen and community defense...

Persons who believe that the 2A is toward firearms in specific they are mistaken.
    Arms are just that and even during the time of the BoR drafting it was normative for knives, swords, whips, and the bow to be employed, along with longguns and the hand gun...toward defense of self or community.

Everything is a weapon and thus the whole of our physical world is an 'arm' be it a rock in a sling, a cup of scalding hot or icey cold water, or even simply a stick picked up from the ground and poked into an offenders eye. The laces on my shoes can very easily be deployed as a garrote in a pinch or the shoe itself as an impact weapon.

The right to bear arms is just that, and it's not just about guns.
    The DC case though was specifically toward handguns and specific types of longguns.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree that knives are considered arms under the ruling and the original meaning of the amendment.

That said, the ruling clearly allows for limitations and restrictions.

In a city like Seattle where virtually all knives are illegal... sure, it might help get that overturned. But if specific types of knives are illegal, such as switchblades, I don't see how a court would differentiate between restricting machine guns and restricting switch blades.

Not saying I agree with it, but I don't see how Heller will be much help in most cases.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    No.

You could still move to FL though......

In FL, it's a conceald 'weapon' or firearm license.

Ya' gotta' love the GunShine State!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links