ACLU blasted on own blog...

ACLU blasted on own blog...

This is a discussion on ACLU blasted on own blog... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From World Net Daily Hundreds of comments have been posted in just the first few days of July, almost uniformly condemning the ACLU's explanation of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb ACLU blasted on own blog...

From World Net Daily
    Hundreds of comments have been posted in just the first few days of July, almost uniformly condemning the ACLU's explanation of its position on gun rights, which is that individuals don't have them.

"The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v. Heller," the page started. "While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized."
    ACLU Blog in case you want to add your twe cents worth.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Wow. How stupid can they be? I thought they would change their tune in the wake of Heller. It just goes to show http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=argue+liberal
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Collectively, we all have a right to defend ourselves. Specifically via arms.

The ACLU's position is anti-rights, anti-justice, anti-reason. Their position deserves to be blasted, particularly since it goes against their mission.

I fully appreciate the fears they have over criminal misuse of arms. What I cannot tolerate is those fears that seek to deny me my right to defend my life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Collectively, we all have a right to defend ourselves. Specifically via arms.

The ACLU's position is anti-rights, anti-justice, anti-reason. Their position deserves to be blasted, particularly since it goes against their mission.

I fully appreciate the fears they have over criminal misuse of arms. What I cannot tolerate is those fears that seek to deny me my right to defend my life.
    +1

VIP Member
    I was going to add a comment to their blog, but after reading many of the comments, there is not much left to say. Many of their own members and former members are saying they're dropping them and joining the NRA instead. We'll see, and welcome. If it starts to hit them (the ACLU) in their bank account, they may see reason....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Tried to post there, but it won't accept my comments (no bad language was used).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The blog doesn't want additions, leastwise not by me:
    Warning: chk_crypt(php/crypt/) [function.chk-crypt]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/project_websites/blogtest.aclu.org/wp-content/plugins/mycaptcha/MyCaptcha.php on line 60

Warning: chk_crypt() [function.include]: Failed opening 'php/crypt/' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/project_websites/blogtest.aclu.org/wp-content/plugins/mycaptcha/MyCaptcha.php on line 60

Error: Wrong anti-spam word.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think they may be out of space, or just beyond their allowable bandwidth. It apparently won'taccept any further comments.

Here's what I attempted to post:

I'm baffled by the ACLU's decision to oppose CIVIL LIBERTIES. To continue a claim that the 2nd Amendment guarantees a collective right, rather than an individual right, is not only aberrant, it is abhorrent.

I have supported the ACLU in the past, both monetarily and otherwise, but my disappointment in the organization is such that I will withhold support until such time as the organization supports all of our fundamental freedoms, including the right to keep and bear arms as individuals.

Who within the ACLU is responsible for this inexplicable position?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

It seems that the comments are being allowed again (July 4th, 2008). Be nice, be BRIEF, but go post something.

Yep. I went back in and added my comment. Looks to be universally negative. Surprise, surprise.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Rod, great post. Sorry you didn't get to post that ... it would have been a gem.

I had some time to kill at work today, so I started reading the blog entries. I read over 210 before I got distracted.

These are the results of what I read:

3 posters agreed with the ACLU's reading of the 2A not being an individual right.

1 poster agreed the ACLU was wrong, but defended their refusal to change their position.

2 posters were unclear if they supported the ACLU or were being sarcastic.

200+ posters were extremely critical of the ACLU's position, and harshly so. Many claimed they were finished supporting the ACLU financially. Several claimed they would now support the NRA. I had no idea so many who supported the ACLU cared so much about the 2A. I haven't read of such a lopsided event since I read of the 1940 NFL championship game where the Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0.

It was great reading about previous ACLU supporters now taking the view that I have held for years, that the ACLU is backed by some with a political agenda rather than an interest in protecting the Constitution and ALL the Bill of Rights, not just the ones they choose. I would quote some of my favorite responses, but they aren't appropriate for this forum.

Good times, good times.

I posted a comment which is awaiting moderation.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget View Post
    Inspector Gadget Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    July 4th, 2008 at 9:54 pm
    Full Disclosure, I am a card carrying member of the NRA, Retired Military, Licensed Concealed Weapon Carrying, Conservative. I have long since been disgusted by the ACLU, due to their Extremist Left Stances. But this thread has gone a long way toward restoring my faith that there are liberals that do believe in the Bill Of Rights. To apparently 99.9% of the posters on this thread, thank you for your individual support of our Individual Right to protect ourselves.

As far as the ACLU itself goes ................. well you can probably fill that blank in

I posted this last night, still awaiting moderation ..... ? and they defend free speech ?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I posted the following this AM:

I am disappointed and dismayed that the organization claiming to support and defend all of the civil liberties that are protected by our constitution would choose to cherry-pick.

One would assume that the leadership of the ACLU understands that compromise on civil liberties is a compromise on liberty itself. Statements regarding the "collective" basis of the second amendment would indicate that assumption to be incorrect and further indicate the ACLU leadership has not bothered to read the Federalist and Anti Federalist papers that explain - in the framer's own words - the rationale behind and the basis for the Bill of Rights (hint - it's not about "collective rights")

I am a current ACLU member and have supported the organization based on a desire to defend liberty. It seems the ACLU is less interested in this than I am. Perhaps my donations are better spent elsewhere.

Tim
    ACLU Member and NRA life member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links