Security Guard Plans To Challenge Disney By Bringing Gun To Work ?

This is a discussion on Security Guard Plans To Challenge Disney By Bringing Gun To Work ? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A Disney security guard told Eyewitness News he's okay with being fired rather than go to work unprotected. Disney claims ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Guard Plans To Challenge Disney By Bringing Gun To Work ?

Security Guard Plans To Challenge Disney By Bringing Gun To Work ?

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A Disney security guard told Eyewitness News he's okay with being fired rather than go to work unprotected. Disney claims it's exempt from a new state law that allows employees to keep handguns in their cars.

Vote Yes Or No Click on the link

Allow Disney Employees To Bring Guns To Work?

Security Guard Plans To Challenge Disney By Bringing Gun To Work - News Story - WFTV Orlando

2. Remove Ads

The guard got suspended. I will be following this very closely.

Disney Employee Suspended For Bringing Gun To Work - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando
    A Disney employee was suspended after challenging the company’s gun policy.
    Edwin Sotomayor is a security guard at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. He said Disney is violating his rights by not allowing him to bring his gun to work.
    "When it comes down to my personal rights, that’s where I draw the line," Sotomayor said.
    Under a new state law that went into effect on Tuesday, Floridians with concealed weapons permits are allowed to keep firearms locked in their cars while on the job.
    Disney claimed a loophole in the new law means the company does not have to comply. There is an exemption for businesses that import, manufacture or deal in explosive materials and Disney has a federal permit to handle fireworks.
    Sotomayor said Disney has a weak excuse and he arrived at work on Friday with his gun locked in his trunk.
    "I’m ready to be terminated because their stance is zero tolerance, if that’s the case, let it be," Sotomayor said. "They want to control government. They want to control society, society is us."
    A video shot by Sotomayor on Friday shows Disney bosses and sheriff’s deputies waiting for him.
    They asked him if they could search his vehicle, and when he refused, he was suspended and banned from the property.
    "They are breaking the law," Sotomayor said. "I mean policy is one thing, but policies do not rule society, the law does."
    Sotomayor said he is prepared to wage a legal battle if he is fired.
    "Of course, it’s not just for me. It’s for everyone involved in this," Sotomayor said.
    Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez explained the suspension.
    "Mr. Sotomayor refused to allow a search of his car as part of our continuing policy prohibiting guns on our property," Suarez said.
    Other Disney employees agree with the company’s policy.
    "No guns on property," Disney employee Lee Morgan said. "It’s a family facility. I don’t think their should be any firearms at all."
    Sotomayor said the issue is not his safety at work; it is his safety during his commute.
    "I’m willing to lose my job," Sotomayor said. "I’m not the only one; I’m doing this for everyone."
    Disney did not say if Sotomayor is suspended with or without pay.
    A spokesman for the union that represents Disney’s security guards said he personally supports Sotomayor’s efforts, but also believes Disney should be able to keep guns off the property if they have a valid exemption.
    Sotomayor said the issue is not his safety at work; it is his safety during his commute.
    This has been my point all along.
    NRA Member

disney ccw

voted.
    yes-89%
    no- 11%
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Voted.

What's interesting... they never found a gun in his car, because he never allowed them to search it. He can file suit in court against "unlawful search" .... and never even get into whether he did or didn't have a gun in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What's interesting... they never found a gun in his car, because he never allowed them to search it. He can file suit in court against "unlawful search" .... and never even get into whether he did or didn't have a gun in there.
    I believe that being on company property and being an employee he probably has relinquished his rights that while parking on company property his vehicle is subject to search,by not allowing the search they then suspended him and he was allowed to leave the property
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes 4500 90%
    No 521 10%
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe that being on company property and being an employee he probably has relinquished his rights that while parking on company property his vehicle is subject to search,by not allowing the search they then suspended him and he was allowed to leave the property
    I understand where your coming from,But what is in question here is the new law that was passed keeps employers from dicriminating from you, if you bring your gun in your car.but being that disney has a federal fireworks license they have somehow slipped through the cracksof exemption.

Demolition companies have explosives. The military have explosives. Constructions firms building dams and roads have explosives.

Disney has fireworks, not explosives.

(Example, for anyone who has a pistol. The fact that one has ever had a "kaboom" on a range doesn't mean that pistols can be called explosives.)

Disney has no excuses, though they'll claim everything. "Family" entertainments with preying felons in the shadows making life rough for people going to and coming from their facilities and parks. If they haven't noticed, the surrounding Orlando area isn't exactly crime-free. And, that little law they're pointing to is state-wide.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hope this fellow either has plenty of money or someone to back him because it is going to take a lot to challenge disney and they are not going to settle given their past positions.

the poll is 90/10, our favor.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

As a retired mining and tunneling engineer I have to agree with CCW9mm that there is a distinct and verifiable difference between fireworks and explosives. However, both Disney and the media know that the general public does not understand that and are using in an attempt to sway public opinion, as well as defend a weak stance.

Also in the wording of the poll as well as most of the articles I have read, they neglect to mention that the law is to keep the firearm locked in the vehicle in the parking lot while the owner is inside the facility, at work. All most refer to is to "take a gun to work " with them.

Once again the media spining the facts to serve their agenda in its simplest form.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    He should have let them search, assuming he is trying to challenge Disney's specific claim that he can't have a gun secured in his private vehicle. I presume, as others have, that there is language in his employment contract allowing them to search at their discretion, and that refusal to allow such searches is itself grounds for suspension or dismissal. So now he has been suspended for refusal to grant the search, which he has already either implicitly or explicitly said they have the right to do (by signing whatever forms are required to work there).

To be able to challenge their stance against weapons in employee's private vehicles, he has to be disciplined for having a weapon in his vehicle. I could be wrong, but that is what makes sense to me. He screwed up, and may not get the chance to actually make his challenge. Too bad...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Voted...

91%

9%
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    the poll is 90/10, our favor.
    ...but the employee is still 100% suspended.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links