DC residents *attempt* to use their 2A rights

This is a discussion on DC residents *attempt* to use their 2A rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; washingtonpost.com After DC gun ban overturned, city seeks new rules By BRIAN WESTLEY The Associated Press Saturday, July 5, 2008; 11:56 AM WASHINGTON -- Dale ...

Thread: DC residents *attempt* to use their 2A rights

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

washingtonpost.com

After DC gun ban overturned, city seeks new rules

By BRIAN WESTLEY
    The Associated Press
    Saturday, July 5, 2008; 11:56 AM

WASHINGTON -- Dale Metta, who manages a gun shop just outside the District of Columbia limits in Maryland, has had to turn away dozens of city residents wanting to buy handguns in recent days. Never mind that the U.S. Supreme Court just struck down Washington's 32-year-old ban on possessing handguns.

"I'd like to sell anything I have," said Metta. But he won't just yet _ not until the city draws up new regulations.

The Supreme Court's decision June 26 rebuffed the strictest gun law in the nation.

The National Rifle Association called it "a great moment in American history." But prospective gun buyers and sellers said they remain on hold, awaiting the response of D.C. officials who are scrambling to draft new handgun regulations that comply with the court ruling.

"There's nothing we can do until we know what they will do," Metta said.

Metta, manager of Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring, Md., said his store fielded about 75 calls from D.C. residents after the ruling. Other gun shops outside the city _ which has no shops of its own _ also received calls. They, too, were turning prospective buyers away.

Writing for a 5-4 majority, Justice Antonin Scalia said: "We hold that the District's ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense."

Washington's gun ban took effect in 1976 and essentially outlawed private ownership of handguns in a city struggling with violence.

In 1974, two years before the ban took effect, more than half of all homicides were committed with handguns. But what impact the ban has had on crime has long been debated, particularly after homicides more than doubled during a crack epidemic in the late 1980s and early 90s.

Supporters of the ban lamented the court ruling, but vowed to maintain the strictest handgun measures allowed.

"The Supreme Court's decision last week was regrettable; nonetheless, it is the law of the land," D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson said. He introduced legislation Tuesday to repeal the handgun ban and propose new requirements.

Besides banning handguns, D.C. law required that rifles and shotguns be kept unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks _ restrictions Mendelson's bill would still retain. But, bowing to the high court, he offered a broad exemption for guns kept at home for "immediate self-defense."

Gun rights advocates called the bill's wording too narrow, questioning how someone would interpret an immediate need for protection.

"That's a troublesome approach," said John Snyder, of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. He accused the city of trying to make it "as difficult as possible for people to defend themselves."

Mendelson's bill also would require a ballistics record for handguns and a waiting period for registration to be determined by the police chief.

Critics, meanwhile, charged the proposal doesn't address the city's unusual regulation of machine guns, which D.C. defines as weapons that shoot at least 12 rounds without reloading. That restriction applies to many popular semiautomatic firearms.

It remains uncertain how quickly the D.C. Council will move to enact new regulations. Mendelson said, if needed, he will propose emergency action July 15, before the group's summer recess starts.

The city's ban was to remain in effect at least three weeks after the Supreme Court's ruling, until a lower court issues an injunction. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's administration also is drafting new regulations.

Many are waiting anxiously.

Allan Lucas, a licensed firearms instructor in D.C., is among those concerned about how new regulations will affect him.

He has been trying for two years to open an indoor shooting range in the city to train security guards and other clients. Because the city currently has no zoning category for such a business, he takes his clients to ranges in the suburbs.

"It's pretty ridiculous to think of so many people qualifying to register for firearms and not having a range to practice on," he said.

John McRae, who has lived in Washington for 40 of his 64 years, is among those thinking of buying a gun once the rules are settled. He said he wants to protect himself from armed criminals.

"If they come into my house, I can't use a broomstick," McRae said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wonder how DC residents can buy a handgun if there are no stores (or FFLs) in DC to begin with?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

There's one FFL in DC. It's a guy that runs the Violence Policy Center.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I heard that a "question" was presented about still keeping "semi-auto hand guns" banned, and they got an "answer" of NO..... because they are "normal" and common guns.

DC is going to ban and make everything inoperable that they can. Idiots. I imagine they'll be in court again.

VIP Member
    WASHINGTON -- Dale Metta, who manages a gun shop just outside the District of Columbia limits in Maryland, has had to turn away dozens of city residents wanting to buy handguns in recent days. Never mind that the U.S. Supreme Court just struck down Washington's 32-year-old ban on possessing handguns.

"I'd like to sell anything I have," said Metta. But he won't just yet _ not until the city draws up new regulations.
    Unless there is a special exemption for DC residents that I am not aware of, he can't sale them a handgun anyway. Federal law prohibits buying/selling handguns across state lines. If the DC resident knows someone with a FFL in DC that can do a transfer, that is allowed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So I guess that means gun shows for DC residents to buy a handgun(or someone's family member kicks the bucket and wills it to them)?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

What scares me is that crime here is so bad that the police officers have to carry "machine guns" to protect themselves.

Scott

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless there is a special exemption for DC residents that I am not aware of, he can't sale them a handgun anyway. Federal law prohibits buying/selling handguns across state lines. If the DC resident knows someone with a FFL in DC that can do a transfer, that is allowed.

But DC is not a state...so not sure why there would be a restriction.

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I heard that a "question" was presented about still keeping "semi-auto hand guns" banned, and they got an "answer" of NO..... because they are "normal" and common guns.

DC is going to ban and make everything inoperable that they can. Idiots. I imagine they'll be in court again.
    I know that DC has "floated" the position that semi-automatics are indeed still banned. Is it not the case, however, that the case has been remanded to the U. S. district court to compel DC to act in accordance with the SCOTUS decision? And, if DC does not do as directed, it will come back to the same Circuit Court that overturned the ban initially. I suspect that, despite some current grandstanding, DC may end up with less wiggle room than it wants.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

Rick

True. DC is not a state, but the residents of DC are not residents of PA, VA, MD or any other state, so they can not purchase a handgun there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Doesn't matter. The Maryland FFL can only sell to a Maryland resident. There are no (real) FFLs in DC because BATFE says you can only have a license if your listed business location is zoned for selling guns. No place in DC is zoned for selling guns, ergo...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I wonder how DC residents can buy a handgun if there are no stores (or FFLs) in DC to begin with?
    Sounds like an opportunity to me. If I were a DC resident, I'd be scrambling to get an FFL.

Brian

DC will go out of their way to make it difficult and horribly expensive to even try to get an FFL inside their kingdom. The people of DC who want be legally buy their firearms are still screwed, while for those who don't give a hoot about no stinkn' laws, it's business as usual.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links